Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I like the idea of zero tolerance and I think it should be practised. I can''t remember the last time we saw a policeman round here, before we called them out for the gang incidents.

If there is a law it should be enforced.
My first attack the teenagers had an off lead dog and the police wouldn't come out - no crime unless we're hurt
When I pointed out the laws that had been broken, I was told oh alright, we'll send a pcos. 6 months on, I'm still waiting..
when the police did come out for the second, we were told even if they found the gang members, they would be back out on the streets and the next offence may well be a murder. (ours )
We were told best walk our dog somewhere else, and best of all, move out the area.
Zero tolerance NY style might just restore it.
That's just terrible being told the only solution is to move. I completely agree with you about the zero tolrance thing, don't have all the details to hand but you are right it did make a big difference in New York and what the heck is wrong with getting people to be polite and respectful, it costs nothing and as has been proved in NY it stops them from thinking they can do whatever they like

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
A good start in this country would be to double the amount of police.. there just isnt enough of them...
Yes, I just wrote above 'it costs nothing' meaning it doesn't cost the young thugs anything but we would need a lot more Police, maybe even more than double, but sometimes you have to pay to get the quality of life that 'normal' people want (and are entitled to)

Being the age I am I often think the answer to this kind of problem is compulsory sterilisation for those who have long criminal records, a history of drug abuse, and a space where most people have a brain but I do concede that this policy would take 20 to 30 years to show positive results which is a pity 'cos I'm sure it would work
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:43 AM
it not lpool as i live dwn south at the min its a new thing thats been on the news because of all the dog attacks thats been happening espec with rottties i dont supose they will bring it out 4 a while as i dont think it would work anyway - its breeds like rotties, bull terriers all the usual breeds that u hear of attacking people
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
That's just terrible being told the only solution is to move. I completely agree with you about the zero tolrance thing, don't have all the details to hand but you are right it did make a big difference in New York and what the heck is wrong with getting people to be polite and respectful, it costs nothing and as has been proved in NY it stops them from thinking they can do whatever they like

Yes, I just wrote above 'it costs nothing' meaning it doesn't cost the young thugs anything but we would need a lot more Police, maybe even more than double, but sometimes you have to pay to get the quality of life that 'normal' people want (and are entitled to)

Being the age I am I often think the answer to this kind of problem is compulsory sterilisation for those who have long criminal records, a history of drug abuse, and a space where most people have a brain but I do concede that this policy would take 20 to 30 years to show positive results which is a pity 'cos I'm sure it would work
teachers and so on have no authority left in the schools, dont get me wrong, I dont think they should be belting kids around, but I think they shouldnt have lost all rights to punish children, its kinda been a downward spiral from then, as much as I hate the idea of it, I have to say, the whole school system went to the dogs when they lost it,

I cant remember of people being excluded from school when I went,, but it seems to be the only option open to them these day, thus kids behave badly, then dont have to go to school, becasue they cant be kept under control there, so they wander round the streets getting into more trouble,,,
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I would love to see some form of law or test which regulates who can own a dog.
Bullseye!

Dog Ownership Suitability Test

http://www.dogownershiptest.co.uk/
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 11:16 PM
i used to have problems with gangs tormenting my dogs as i live in an end terrace and have 2 windows on the gable end when the police eventually came out to me after 3 years and the mp getting involved they told me either get rid of the windows, move or don't respond i told them i couldn't afford to do either and i wasn't responding it was my dogs and that you cant expect 2 dogs to just sit there when the windows are nearly coming through and there answer was get rid of them then. it took a change when we come home from the pub about 2 in morning and was sat with whats now mi mums dog as she was a nervous wreck the window nearly went through i jumped up and opened the door wi mi fella saying don't do out daft as he pushed passed me an cleared the fence and punched one of them (i know it was wrong but that's how bad it had got ) at this stage i was on the phone to the police and said my window had just nearly gone through she said someone will ring you back and for a change they did just at the right moment think cause couple of neighbours had rang aswell but all she could here was a gang of about 40 running up street shouting were gonna murder you you old fat b*****d she said units would be with us we ended up with 3 cars bottom of street 2 vans a car an dog van at our house and 2 cars at next street trouble is they forgot the field entrance so they all got away again i was told to get rid of my dogs and it would stop so if i get any trouble now i ring police and because they kept saying they had no record even though i had crime numbers i now also ring my local councillor and as he only lives about 12 houses away he comes straight down
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Bullseye!

Dog Ownership Suitability Test

http://www.dogownershiptest.co.uk/
This is well laid out...chance of success, you think?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by waifsnstrays View Post
i used to have problems with gangs tormenting my dogs as i live in an end terrace and have 2 windows on the gable end when the police eventually came out to me after 3 years and the mp getting involved they told me either get rid of the windows, move or don't respond i told them i couldn't afford to do either and i wasn't responding it was my dogs and that you cant expect 2 dogs to just sit there when the windows are nearly coming through and there answer was get rid of them then.
In all cases (as quote) it is the humans causing the problem not the dogs. However - the easiest option is to ban the knife/ gun / dog or whatever is being used to create the nuisance. All the quoted nuisances are already against the law. The problem comes because the police and local community won`t or can`t take action. We need a change of attitude to anti-social behaviour and criminal nuisance. It makes life a misery for thousands but is regarded as a minor matter by our Law-makers - who don`t live in the sink estates or out-of-control areas.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
This is well laid out...chance of success, you think?

A couple of MPs have expressed an interest and it got a brief mention in a recent House of Commons debate. I think the NDWA would back it because it backs them and the author has claimed some very promising responses from influencial quarters (whatever that means!). Oh yeah and PETA have declared themselves supportive as well - poisoned chalice?

Personally I think the chances of the 'powers that be' letting a young upstart onto their pitch is unlikely. If the proposal gains ground and looks like it might see the light of day then I would expect to see it get pinched and one of the big players come out with their own version.

That's okay, though, so long as they keep the main principles intact - national ID database + competancy testing.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
A couple of MPs have expressed an interest and it got a brief mention in a recent House of Commons debate. I think the NDWA would back it because it backs them and the author has claimed some very promising responses from influencial quarters (whatever that means!). Oh yeah and PETA have declared themselves supportive as well - poisoned chalice?

Personally I think the chances of the 'powers that be' letting a young upstart onto their pitch is unlikely. If the proposal gains ground and looks like it might see the light of day then I would expect to see it get pinched and one of the big players come out with their own version.

That's okay, though, so long as they keep the main principles intact - national ID database + competancy testing.
Agreed. The PETA interest is unwelcome if its to go mainstream, and makes it all the more likely that unless a Private Member's Bill is pushed through, that incumbent influences (in Clarges St) will cherry pick ....

Azz, as OP, what do you think of the proposal?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 11:19 AM

But you`re talking about a body that has come up with the DDA and the Child Support Agency - just to mention 2 recent flawed concepts. Do you really want a Government - or more likely your local council - to have final say on if you can have a dog, how many, and what breed?
Sorry v- I know the intentions are good, but it puts far too much power in the hands on petty officials for my liking.
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »