Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
DOT is better is your opinion not a fact.
Yes. Do you disagree? Do you feel that BSL is better than the DOT proposal could be?

No don't bother targeting the law breakers, it's easier to have a blanket test for one and all.
I have already explained how the self-policing nature of the DOT frees up the authorities to concentrate their enforcement efforts away from the mainstream and onto the minority of hardcore non-compliants. That is very different to 'not bothering to target the law breakers'.

Recently, the MET police launched a crackdown on suspected illegal dogs during the Notting Hill Festival. Quite a lot of loving family pets where seized. The first one, iirc, was seized early in the morning as the owner was walking the dog out of the area. The owner was concerned that the dog might be distressed at the noise and unusual activity so he was walking it to his mother's house a short distance away where he planned to leave the dog for the day. This was not a dog that had engendered complaint, was not dangerous or involved in any incident. Just a bull breed that looked to a policeman as if it might be of a prohibited type. It will now spend months in kennels being housed and assessed (at taxpayers expense) before most probably being returned to a life on-leash. That is the situation we have at present.

I believe that DOT would be better.

Oh yeah everyone would have to take it, just like everyone has to do everything else in our over regulated lives, except those that never bother and get away with it.
I think the level of non-compliance will be quite small. It's simply not worth not complying. A breeder who supplies a dog to a non-DOTed owner will be running a risk for the rest of that dog's natural life. At any time in the next 10 to fifteen years that owner may be caught and lead the authorities back to the breeder whose breeding will be immediately curtailed by the removal of his SDOT. Similarly a buyer will be presented with a choice of buying from a SDOTed breeder or buying from an illegal supplier and run the risk of being fined. A risk that will be extant for the entire life of the dog. It becomes aligned with self-interest to take the test. It's not that hard and not that expensive - I think most will take it.

many things have been introduced in all areas of our lives, which have never been enforced or simply found to be a complete nonsense, why would this be any different?
Many things have been introduced and worked very well. Would the DOT work very well or be complete nonsense? I think it has the potential to work very well (or I wouldn't support it) but it will need careful preperation. Robust questioning (such as yours) can only benefit the proposal by exposing any flaws or weak areas that might exist. Certainly it is do-able. The Swiss, who have recently introduced a similar scheme, have proved that.

Also if you never have your dog taken away just get fined ad infinitum and fail to pay the fines, as they do, what is the point.
my emphasis

Failure to pay a fine is a different offence to failure to have a DOT and would be dealt with the same way that non-payment of fines is currently dealt with.

What if you fail the test repeatedly?
If someone fails the test three times that would trigger an automatic assistance visit to determine what the problem is. It could be a language/literacy issue which can be dealt with by offering the test in a different format or it could indicate a deeper problem which absolutely needs addressing before the person could safely offer a home to a dog. It is important to understand that the test is not there to set people up to fail. If someone is repeatedly failing then the emphasis will be to find out why and help to overcome the problem.

How on earth would you keep track of the homeless?
I'm not sure that I'd want to track them. Beyond the fact that their dog must be registered to them I don't see that they need tracking.

Who says you have to use the knowledge gained?
What if you pass and then promptly go back to your old ways of behaviour?
I think it's very patronising to assume people behave the way they do from sheer ignorance, many behave the way they do simply because they can. How will the test stop that?
Patronising? Well you are entitled to a view, of course, but do you imagine that the mother of Archie-Lee knew the risks she was running? There is no doubt in my mind that the dog world encompasses a whole lot of ignorance (a quick glance at the training or behavioural section of any dog website will confirm this and these are people who realise their lack of knowledge and are trying to address it. I assure you that there are yet others who do not even realise that they are missing something).Yes, there will be people who act wrongly in full awareness of their actions and the test will not stop that. But the test will help those who act wrongly out of ignorance or misinformation and that can only be a good thing, surely.

As I have said, I welcome your probing and challenging questions and I will endeavour to answer as best I can but, in fairness, I must ask the same of you or else our conversation is doomed to be nothing but a series of contradictory statements.

Will you tackle the question I posed? Here it is again:

Do you agree that driving standards benefit from the need to pass a test and, if so, why do you feel this would not cross over to dogs?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Yes. Do you disagree? Do you feel that BSL is better than the DOT proposal could be?

I think the DOT proposal is OTT as someone pointed out quite some time back, it's pretty much like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut

I have already explained how the self-policing nature of the DOT frees up the authorities to concentrate their enforcement efforts away from the mainstream and onto the minority of hardcore non-compliants. That is very different to 'not bothering to target the law breakers'.
Which authorities are we talking about here? They could already concentrate their efforts on the law breakers, but apparently they don't have the man power/resources. Hard core non compliants, hard core for not taking a test. pleeeeze
Recently, the MET police launched a crackdown on suspected illegal dogs during the Notting Hill Festival. Quite a lot of loving family pets where seized. The first one, iirc, was seized early in the morning as the owner was walking the dog out of the area. The owner was concerned that the dog might be distressed at the noise and unusual activity so he was walking it to his mother's house a short distance away where he planned to leave the dog for the day. This was not a dog that had engendered complaint, was not dangerous or involved in any incident. Just a bull breed that looked to a policeman as if it might be of a prohibited type. It will now spend months in kennels being housed and assessed (at taxpayers expense) before most probably being returned to a life on-leash. That is the situation we have at present.
So our police force is not brilliant is this actually news to anyone. Targetting someone doing no harm is hardly effective policing is it. I'm pretty sure he could have found many law breakers that day.

I believe that DOT would be better.
I believe it is OTT and not targeting the actual problem. and I'm pretty gobsmacked that they've been working on it for 2 years and yet couldn't answer the persons question about test failure when you already own a dog. Other than to say it's something to consider.

I think the level of non-compliance will be quite small. It's simply not worth not complying. A breeder who supplies a dog to a non-DOTed owner will be running a risk for the rest of that dog's natural life. At any time in the next 10 to fifteen years that owner may be caught and lead the authorities back to the breeder whose breeding will be immediately curtailed by the removal of his SDOT. Similarly a buyer will be presented with a choice of buying from a SDOTed breeder or buying from an illegal supplier and run the risk of being fined. A risk that will be extant for the entire life of the dog. It becomes aligned with self-interest to take the test. It's not that hard and not that expensive - I think most will take it.
Well I'm sure it will create lots of jobs, to keep tabs on all us naughty people and all this for a one off payment of £40, I can't really see it myself.

Many things have been introduced and worked very well. Would the DOT work very well or be complete nonsense? I think it has the potential to work very well (or I wouldn't support it) but it will need careful preperation. Robust questioning (such as yours) can only benefit the proposal by exposing any flaws or weak areas that might exist. Certainly it is do-able. The Swiss, who have recently introduced a similar scheme, have proved that.
I seriously think it has the potential to be a complete nonsense. We aint the Swiss.

my emphasis

Failure to pay a fine is a different offence to failure to have a DOT and would be dealt with the same way that non-payment of fines is currently dealt with.

Failure to pay parking fines can result in your vehicle being seized, will that apply to these fines and dogs?

If someone fails the test three times that would trigger an automatic assistance visit to determine what the problem is. It could be a language/literacy issue which can be dealt with by offering the test in a different format or it could indicate a deeper problem which absolutely needs addressing before the person could safely offer a home to a dog. It is important to understand that the test is not there to set people up to fail. If someone is repeatedly failing then the emphasis will be to find out why and help to overcome the problem.
You'd kinda hope a language/literacy issue would be picked up before the test was taken.
What if the person already had a dog or several dogs?
Who would be offering the help?

I'm not sure that I'd want to track them. Beyond the fact that their dog must be registered to them I don't see that they need tracking.
They probably have entire dogs who mate like ......dogs

Patronising? Well you are entitled to a view, of course, but do you imagine that the mother of Archie-Lee knew the risks she was running? There is no doubt in my mind that the dog world encompasses a whole lot of ignorance (a quick glance at the training or behavioural section of any dog website will confirm this and these are people who realise their lack of knowledge and are trying to address it. I assure you that there are yet others who do not even realise that they are missing something).Yes, there will be people who act wrongly in full awareness of their actions and the test will not stop that. But the test will help those who act wrongly out of ignorance or misinformation and that can only be a good thing, surely.
Maybe there should be a licence and test for parenthood, I had to go and read about Archie Lee because although I read the story at the time I certainly didn't remember it without refreshing my memory. I wouldn't want to offend his parents so I'll keep schtum on that.
These storys hit the news with their screaming hysteria and yet you think a test would be more of an education. Than the graphic pictures shown on news reports and in the papers. I don't think they should be kept out of the news at all, but I do think they should stick to reporting the facts in the case. However the pictures speak for themselves. Yet people still claim they didn't know.
As I have said, I welcome your probing and challenging questions and I will endeavour to answer as best I can but, in fairness, I must ask the same of you or else our conversation is doomed to be nothing but a series of contradictory statements.

Will you tackle the question I posed? Here it is again:

Do you agree that driving standards benefit from the need to pass a test and, if so, why do you feel this would not cross over to dogs?
I think driving standards are pretty appalling even though most people have passed their test. Not that I'm campaigning for it's abolition, but passing your test does not prove you're a good driver, just that you have reached a certain level of competancy. Standards generally slip within a year of passing too.
Also the test is the same whatever vehicle you chose to drive, you can pass your test and then immediately equipe yourself with the most powerful vehicle on the road, total madness.

Why don't you do a poll for your OTT DOT you might find a few supporters that way, no prizes for guessing how I'd vote though.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Please pardon me if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, if I have, just put it down to advancing years and thickening skull!

There seemed to be some suggestion of breeders registering as such. How would this apply to/affect (eg) farmers who do not breed purposefully, but who end up occasionally with "surplus" puppies (like my two blodgers). Registering all these would not be feasible, and would alienate farmers who have more than enough paperwork to wade through already!

Snorri
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Failure to pay parking fines can result in your vehicle being seized, will that apply to these fines and dogs?
Parking offences are subject to a fixed Penalty Charge Notice which is legally quite distinct from a fine. Different rules and no, they won't apply to the DOT and dogs.

Maybe there should be a licence and test for parenthood...
Damn straight! Unfortunately procreation is regarded as a fundamental human right. If you regard dog ownership in the same way then you are unlikely to ever support a proposal like DOT which says, in essence, that you must earn that right by proving your competancy/commitment.

Who would be offering the help?
The agency charged with administering the DOT.

I think driving standards are pretty appalling even though most people have passed their test. Not that I'm campaigning for it's abolition, but passing your test does not prove you're a good driver, just that you have reached a certain level of competancy. Standards generally slip within a year of passing too.
Also the test is the same whatever vehicle you chose to drive, you can pass your test and then immediately equipe yourself with the most powerful vehicle on the road, total madness.
Trouble - you've danced all around this question but still haven't answered it! Do you think that having a driving test ensures better standards of driving than not having a driving test? It's a yes or no answer.

Your response (in which you say it's complete madness but you wouldn't abolish it) is neither.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
There seemed to be some suggestion of breeders registering as such. How would this apply to/affect (eg) farmers who do not breed purposefully, but who end up occasionally with "surplus" puppies (like my two blodgers). Registering all these would not be feasible, and would alienate farmers who have more than enough paperwork to wade through already!
Anyone who supplies dogs would need an SDOT and would need to register the dogs they produce. If a farmer does not have the time to do this then he can buy his dogs instead of breeding them.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Why don't you do a poll for your OTT DOT you might find a few supporters that way, no prizes for guessing how I'd vote though.
Whilst I support the DOT it is not my proposal. I don't think a poll would be of value at the moment as very few people understand the whole proposal.

I'd like to clarify your (oft-repeated) assertion that the proposal is excessive. Do you feel it is excessive in regard to the problems that dogs face or that it is excessive in regard to the benefits it would bring?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm really bored with this now and I'm only replying because I'm polite, I really don't give a monkey's about the DOT to be honest.
As for not putting up a poll because you feel people don't understand the proposal fully, surely that tells you, that although we are up to post 97 or whatever it is still as clear as mud, therefore simply too complex. Keep it simple.
As for the driving test analogy stop chucking your dummy out of the pram, put simply a motor vehicle is a sight more dangerous than a dog. To stop a dog causing damage to people and other animals make it wear a muzzle. However unless we all want to drive at about 15mph at all times I think a tad more skill is called for.
If you want to be pedantic about the driving test, surely it's having lessons and learning how to drive that makes for safer roads, not the test itself. The prospect of losing your license tends to have repercussions that ripple throughout all aspects of life, you may even lose your job, losing a dog license or failing to qualify is hardly the same.
Oh goody yet another agency the DOT to interfere in our everyday lives, is that how Gordon proposes to solve the unemployment problem? Loft lagging and DOT testing. I can't wait. Except I think this proposal is a non-starter. Way to complex and heavy handed.
Just my opinion but I'm not going to change it.
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I jsut found this after i posted my thread similar. i think dog owners and potential dog owners should hold a licence.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2008, 04:17 PM
iv got two dogos and and an amstaff that keep people off my property bears and coyots. got theses dog for there appearence and the family nature they are a duel perpose dog.....you would think twice about comming up my drive way!once i intrduced you to them ..you would want one.there not a wepon but a security service.....
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10