View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Shamus doesn`t like some boxers and Mastiffs. No idea why. It could be the stance. But that`s not your dog`s problem, it`s mine. I have to keep my eyes peeled for boxers and recall Shamus in time.
The man was just trying to excuse his poor management of his `baby`.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I have noticed a lot of dogs don't like boxers Star used to be attacked on a regular basis when she was young by dogs that were friendly.

Not sure whether it is the stance, facial expressions or the breathing that makes other breeds wary of them.
I agree.... I have found a lot of dogs don't like Boxers!

I think it's the stance and facial expressions etc that make other dogs wary, plus the fact they often like to play rough.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I suppose now I think about it then it could just be the appearance of boxers and I have met other dog owners who have said their dog just doesn't like boxers.

I did notice this morning that Monty has a clump of fur missing from where the other dog went for him, nothing major but am grateful it wasn't anything worse than missing fur.

I know I should probably give the guy the benefit of the doubt but it just didn't seem likely that this dog was only playing and the fact he did nothing to stop it when he could see a scuffle was breaking out wound me up a bit. I guess we all get a bit wound up in the heat of the moment!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:28 AM
keira my springer has a dislike of boxers again dont know why but if im in the forest and a see a boxer she gets put on the lead as i just cant trust her around boxers
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, to second everyone above, have to be careful with Jet around boxers. I know he's stupid because I've never met an aggressive boxer in my life.
Still, that man left it way too late to intervene. He should know his own dog well enough to be able to tell the difference between play and hostile behavior. Poor Monty.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Luckypirate View Post
Yeah, to second everyone above, have to be careful with Jet around boxers........... Poor Monty.
Isn`t it strange? I thought it was just Shamus! I didn`t know dogs were this breedist.
Does your Boxer have a tail? I wondered if that made any difference.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Aw poor Monty... stupid owner of other dog!
I know a few dogs that don't like the setters... seemingly some Springers and a few GSD's that we have met maybe its because setters are complete prats and easily dominated? Wouldn't have thought that of Boxers though...
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
many dogs dont seem to like bruce. it has got to the point that he will never be introduced to another dog in the park unless both are onlead now.

He does stand quite tall when they do they initial sniff. sometimes they are fine, others will do that deep belly growl others will snap. i dont know what he does that annoys many dogs.

is there anything i can do to change this?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Boxers, and other bull breeds (Am Bulldogs, Mastiffs etc) apparantly can have their 'signals' misread by other dogs...

Their faces are a different shape (rounded, often squashy, muzzle), and their carriage (generally) is more erect and aggressive looking.

Think of how a Boxer etc stands when being shown - head up, back legs stretched out, chest thrust forward - it's probably a fairly intimidating stance. My two stand like this fairly often, especially when they spot another dog.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Boxers, and other bull breeds (Am Bulldogs, Mastiffs etc) apparantly can have their 'signals' misread by other dogs...

Their faces are a different shape (rounded, often squashy, muzzle), and their carriage (generally) is more erect and aggressive looking.

Think of how a Boxer etc stands when being shown - head up, back legs stretched out, chest thrust forward - it's probably a fairly intimidating stance. My two stand like this fairly often, especially when they spot another dog.
ye if he sees another dog in the distance his chest is puffed out and he stands tall. guess some dont like this then.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >