Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
good luck
i used to rent..i didnt tell them i had dogs let alone sibes,i used to get an inspection twice a year,my dogs would go to a friends for a couple of hours and no one was any the wiser
Many people I know have trouble with their pet rats because of people's misconceptions - I've often 'fostered' rats & cages for a day (up to as many as 20!) for people when they've had house inspections.

I can sympathise as I kept rats without permission for several years myself - always afraid someone would find out, but nobody did.... my landlord would have freaked out, he was nervous of my 2 cats as it was. And as to the old lady next door, she didn't like cats at all, said they moved to quickly... if she'd ever found out I had 20 pet rats I think I'd have been charged with manslaughter as she would have had a heart attack on the spot....
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
i feel for you. my friend had enough trouble renting with a cat!!
As did we!!!!! I would hate to have to find somewhere to rent with the dogs , but saying that it may depend on what you are looking for an where. I know of people on benefits that manage to find places to take x number of dogs.

Goodluck xxxx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 08:56 PM
this is something i am dreading for when i move out... finding somewhere for me and jake...
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
this is something i am dreading for when i move out... finding somewhere for me and jake...
One dog is probably not a big issues so fingers crossed that you will be fine xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi,

I think it's terrible how people with dogs, particularly sibes, huskys, GSDs, Akitas, SBTs, EBTs are treated when it comes to renting property.

Several years ago my Mom rented out her house (before she sold it) to a variety of people over time, but only one lady DIDN'T have pets. All of the others did. My Mom drew up her wn cntract and took it to her solicitor to be checked to ensure it was fair.

She didn't ask for higher deposits but made it clear that she expected any pets (all were dogs other than one cat) were trained to the extent that they wuoldn't destroy the furniture etc. She didn't check on it because at the end of the day if anything was damaged then the dog wasn't trained properly! If anything, I seem to remember the house being in better condition when people left if they did have pets.

My Mom did ask though that those with pets split the cost of professionally cleaning the carpets 50:50. This was because even though she'd put a lick of paint on the walls and get carpets cleaned etc it cost more to have the more expensive company get the excess dirt from pets out of the carpets; as opposed to using the cheaper company to cleant he carpets after people who didn't have pets had left.

A doggy CV, I think, is good idea as are references from former/current neighbours and a vet's report/letter stating the condition of the dogs, noise levels if they're barkers etc.

I think many landlords are losing a lot of business purely because of misconceptions about pets or the people who own them. Obviously at the same time, there are many decent people with lovely pets who have problems finding somewhere to live because fo it.

Laura xx
siberianed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies!! I'm glad to see the view is reiterated across the forum!

However, I just had such a snotty woman phone me responding to a message I'd left on their answering machine. The message I left was "I'm just calling about the property on Madeup Road in Madeup Village and I was wondering if you could tell me in the landlord would accept two dogs"

She called me back, asked what dogs I had then turned into the breed expert. Of course they're horrifcally noisy, messy and should be kept outside and then she asked me if we really need to move out with the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also made some snotty comment about the timeframe we were thinking of moving out in at which point I said, "ok, bye" and hung up. What's wrong with some people?

Really interesting post Stumpywop, but somehow it doesn't surprise me. I'm just pleased to know that there are people out there with their heads completely screwed on!
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2010, 12:28 PM
having just moved (2 weeks before christmas) with my lot i know exactly how you feel.

the number of landlords and estate agents who say yes to dogs until i say one is a doberman was unreal and it did start to upset me a bit.

i dont understand why the breed should make much difference as long as the house is looked after and cleaned when the tenants leave surely its upto them what pets they choose to share their house with.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I think it's terrible how people with dogs, particularly sibes, huskys, GSDs, Akitas, SBTs, EBTs are treated when it comes to renting property.

Several years ago my Mom rented out her house (before she sold it) to a variety of people over time, but only one lady DIDN'T have pets. All of the others did. My Mom drew up her wn cntract and took it to her solicitor to be checked to ensure it was fair.

She didn't ask for higher deposits but made it clear that she expected any pets (all were dogs other than one cat) were trained to the extent that they wuoldn't destroy the furniture etc. She didn't check on it because at the end of the day if anything was damaged then the dog wasn't trained properly! If anything, I seem to remember the house being in better condition when people left if they did have pets.

My Mom did ask though that those with pets split the cost of professionally cleaning the carpets 50:50. This was because even though she'd put a lick of paint on the walls and get carpets cleaned etc it cost more to have the more expensive company get the excess dirt from pets out of the carpets; as opposed to using the cheaper company to cleant he carpets after people who didn't have pets had left.

A doggy CV, I think, is good idea as are references from former/current neighbours and a vet's report/letter stating the condition of the dogs, noise levels if they're barkers etc.

I think many landlords are losing a lot of business purely because of misconceptions about pets or the people who own them. Obviously at the same time, there are many decent people with lovely pets who have problems finding somewhere to live because fo it.

Laura xx
Your mum sounds FAB Stumpywop! Just the sort of landlady my daughter is looking for in Milton Keynes at the moment!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by mumof5 View Post
having just moved (2 weeks before christmas) with my lot i know exactly how you feel.

the number of landlords and estate agents who say yes to dogs until i say one is a doberman was unreal and it did start to upset me a bit.

i dont understand why the breed should make much difference as long as the house is looked after and cleaned when the tenants leave surely its upto them what pets they choose to share their house with.
what I don't get is that unless the Landlord intend to break into the property unannounced, why should they bother what breed of dog it is? Whereas I would probably think twice about entering a property with a doberman in it unannounced, a doberman is no more or less likely to damage a house than any other breed. It is the owners, not the dogs, who are responsible for the property, so the breed of dog should be totally irrelevant. I can understand more about stipulating a size ... but not a breed.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by siberianed View Post
Thanks for all the replies!! I'm glad to see the view is reiterated across the forum!

However, I just had such a snotty woman phone me responding to a message I'd left on their answering machine. The message I left was "I'm just calling about the property on Madeup Road in Madeup Village and I was wondering if you could tell me in the landlord would accept two dogs"

She called me back, asked what dogs I had then turned into the breed expert. Of course they're horrifcally noisy, messy and should be kept outside and then she asked me if we really need to move out with the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also made some snotty comment about the timeframe we were thinking of moving out in at which point I said, "ok, bye" and hung up. What's wrong with some people?

Really interesting post Stumpywop, but somehow it doesn't surprise me. I'm just pleased to know that there are people out there with their heads completely screwed on!
What a cheek !! And she should get her FACTS right first. Sibes in my experience can be noisy if kept in a large pack ... but two should be absolutely fine. They are no more messy or less messy than any other dog. They can sometimes be diggers, but obviously in a rented property you wouldn't leave them unsupervised in the garden if they were. As for the "they should sleep outside" ... who says?? All the huskies I know, except those who are in large packs, sleep with their owners because if they don't they WILL make a noise ... Hal and now Tai, plus Hal's son, ALL had to sleep with us in our bedroom else they would howl the place down. We have our bedroom windows open throughout the year at night, even in this cold weather.

I really wish people wouldn't talk such a load of rubbish about something they clearly know sweet f.a. about !!

You can tell I am enraged !!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >