Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Hmmmm. Thing is, tougher breeding and ownership laws would probably only cause issues for breeders and owners who are inclined to obey the law in the first place. Same as with a lot of issues in modern society, tightening up legislation will probably just lead to miles of red tape for legitimate breeders and owners.

I'd say tougher laws regarding breeding and training humans would have more of an impact on a lot of society's ills. Obviously it'd entail a lot of hard work and probably wouldn't sit well with politicians as it's not something they can boast about being a quick fix with a view to getting a few more votes but work needs to be done to eliminate the sort of environments where this sort of behaviour springs from and is allowed. Don't ask me how, I work in IT, not Sociology.
I understand where you're coming from with this, however, surely legitmate breeders and owners would do everything they had in order to breed and own dogs, if that in turn helped seive out the irresponsible potential owners and those who really are not fit do own dogs.

I know I would go the extra mile to own dogs, such as ownership tests before AND after getting a dog and licensing. It's worth all the the hard work, IMO, if it did stop dogs ending up in the wrong hands.

I hope you understand what I mean by this.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Yep, know what you mean but sometimes I wish the law would leave reasonable people to get on with it and target at the undesirables that need pulling up more. this is in general, not just bad dog breeding/ownership.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
About time we had tougher ownership and breeding laws - if people can't be responsible we need to step in to protect animals imo.
Would you support a dog ownership test?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
A simple law making it illegal for a 3rd party to incite a dog to aggression would cover it. And also cover situations where youths deliberately abuse other people's dogs for fun.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Would probably help if some of our Police were more inclined to go after these scumbags instead of arresting 70 year old ladies who have the guts to poke a hoody in the chest for throwing stones at her windows.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Would probably help if some of our Police were more inclined to go after these scumbags instead of arresting 70 year old ladies who have the guts to poke a hoody in the chest for throwing stones at her windows.
did that really happen??? the police are ridiculous at times
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
I'd say tougher laws regarding breeding and training humans
Couldn't let that little gem go without a comment Rich.

What we are talking about here are youths who have had no parenting discipline whatsoever and who are lured by the media into a life of crime (Sorry don't have time to expand on that right now)

How do you train people like that

Scorpio posted a year ago about the types who the government insisted had to attend job finding courses in order to get their dole money. She said many of them just turned up for the first ten minutes nad then walked out, it' scosting billions yet no one really cares

They don't want a job, they want dole money, drugs, shows of 'macho' personality, and all the rest of it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
How do you train people like that
You can't but you can legislate. At present there is no law that protects dogs from being abused by 3rd parties...eg. incitement to aggression, fights etc. This would cover everything from people who get together to arrange fights but don't own the dogs involved, to other dog owners who wind up another's dog for the purpose of arranging a fight, right down to youths who think it's fun to pick on a normal responsible dog owner and laugh when the animal gets reactive.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
This would cover everything from people who get together to arrange fights but don't own the dogs involved, to other dog owners who wind up another's dog for the purpose of arranging a fight, right down to youths who think it's fun to pick on a normal responsible dog owner and laugh when the animal gets reactive.
Do you think the Police would be in favour It would mean more work for them and also confronting these people while they seem to prefer arresting old ladies for such silly things as poking a finger on a 17 year old hoodees chest
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Do you think the Police would be in favour It would mean more work for them and also confronting these people while they seem to prefer arresting old ladies for such silly things as poking a finger on a 17 year old hoodees chest
Snort! of course not, they're already too busy to worry about people getting harassed, like the poor woman with the disabled child who took her own life after years of police not bothering.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >