Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Xanthe
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2009, 09:29 PM

"Granny" wanting to help!

My next problem is.....young bitch now almost 4yrs in November has had her first litter of puppies. She has 10 to look after and coping well..albeit she still rushes out in the morning to chase off the postie and any oter unwanted visitors!
The puppies are now 14 days old and "Granny" has suddenly (a couple of days ago) decided that she wants to help clean the pups and snuggle them in and she actually has a tiny amount of milk in her two back teats. Some of the puppies latch on to her when she is in the box. Daughter doesn't seem to mind too much although sometimes she seems a bit surprised !
However Granny is now becoming almost obsesses with the puppies wanting to be in with them most of the time.
When I deny her access she becomes very agitated and huffs and puffs! I can solve the problem easily and let her in with them but my worry is that daughter may go off looking after her puppies thinking Granny is interfering too much!! ..........Has anyone else had this problem/experience. There is something nice to see them both with the puppies but I dont want their mother opting out! Comments would be much appreciated.
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2009, 11:11 PM
The pack plays a vital role in the upbringing of pups, they babysit, protect, play, teaches socialization skills and at the age of 6 weeks will feed the pups.

When the mother leaves her pups allow the grandmother to go in, if the daughter wants to go directly back in, ask the mother to leave, but don't allow a lot ot time to pass at this stage. Do allow the granmother some controlled time with them as often as the mother wants a break. When they get a couple more weeks older then allow her to spend more and more time with the pups. The daughter will appreciate her mothers help!
Xanthe
New Member!
Female 

25-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your advice. They seem on the whole to be contented but as you say I wouldnt want to leave them unsupervised. daughter will probably be glad to hand them over at 6 weeks!!!
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:02 PM
My a while ago my breeder had a mother and daughter who had puppies around two weeks apart. The daughter had hers last and decided that her mums pups were far more fun than her own (being older and out and about playing) - she even fed her mums puppies!