Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
But if that kept happening and went on for five minutes a time you would be spending a vast amount time doing so, time that could be spent doing other things?
The thing is though, it doesn't. Misunderstandings rarely happen to the scale of your encounter. There are far more essential things we need to be looking at to save time than language training for NHS workers!

I see but I say I dont need to as I dont work in a profession where good communication is needed. I also didnt say it makes them a bad doctor.
You've missed my point a bit there mate. What I was getting at was if NHS workers need language training to help them communicate with NHS workers, then surely as communication works both ways, the public should have language training to help the NHS workers understand them? A patient with a strong accent leading to a misunderstanding between them and the Doctor/Nurse would be just as dangerous as if it was the other way around! Communication is vitally important in all things, not just the NHS.

I have said, It would be difficult but I still think a decent level is need, who to qualifed engouh. I am not sure.
I think although it seems like a good idea, in reality it just wouldn't work at all. There are far worse things going on in the NHS that could cause dangerous situations than the odd mis communication, trust me.

You may not have but I would hazzard a guess that there will have been cases. Written having seen many doctors and nurses writing I dont think thats a fail safe.
And if you saw the amount of writing we have to do in any given day, you'd see why our hand writing was so atroucious!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2008, 06:35 PM
The thing is though, it doesn't. Misunderstandings rarely happen to the scale of your encounter. There are far more essential things we need to be looking at to save time than language training for NHS workers!

But that is at your hospital, I would guess it happens many times at many hospitals.

You've missed my point a bit there mate. What I was getting at was if NHS workers need language training to help them communicate with NHS workers, then surely as communication works both ways, the public should have language training to help the NHS workers understand them? A patient with a strong accent leading to a misunderstanding between them and the Doctor/Nurse would be just as dangerous as if it was the other way around! Communication is vitally important in all things, not just the NHS.

Using the NHS as an example. I thing better language is need in any walk of life where dealing with the public.

I think although it seems like a good idea, in reality it just wouldn't work at all. There are far worse things going on in the NHS that could cause dangerous situations than the odd mis communication, trust me.

I think anything can work if worked right, I agree with you there is worse going with the NHS, like finding out whats up with me

And if you saw the amount of writing we have to do in any given day, you'd see why our hand writing was so atroucious!

No comment
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2008, 07:17 PM
But that is at your hospital, I would guess it happens many times at many hospitals.
I've worked at 3 different hospitals in nearly 5 years, I've never come across any major problems. Nothing to warrant bringing in a language test anyway.

Using the NHS as an example. I thing better language is need in any walk of life where dealing with the public.
And the same goes for members of the public then, using my example earlier. It takes two to tango, fixing one element will leave the other one to fix also.

I think anything can work if worked right, I agree with you there is worse going with the NHS, like finding out whats up with me
But just because you can make something work, doesn't make it right! Oh, and I can save you the trouble and tell you what's wrong with you - you're a bloke!

No comment

Anyway, nuff said from me on this subject. I think you can all guess what I think about bringing in a language test for NHS workers by now! Think I'll give this thread back to the BNP and have a nice hot bubble bath! Ta ta!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oh, and I can save you the trouble and tell you what's wrong with you - you're a bloke!

A poorly bloke tbh.

No comment

Anyway, nuff said from me on this subject. I think you can all guess what I think about bringing in a language test for NHS workers by now! Think I'll give this thread back to the BNP and have a nice hot bubble bath! Ta ta!
Im finished as well, but I will say newsreaders always speak well enough to understand regardless of where they come from, so I would have thought other professions could do the same

Good debate though.
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12