View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Well that makes me feel a bit better as obviously they weren't just picking in us they are more generally rubbish company !
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I think this situation reinforces the fact that if we are travelling with passengers and animals you need to be prepared for every eventuality (and assume that every other driver on the motorway is a moron). Carry water, stakes, leads torches, hi viz jackets, space blankets, warning triangle, these things don't take a lot of room and some things in some countries are required by law. I would be proactive and if I had 2 other passengers I would be organising a relay up the bank with the dogs (if they were small dogs in crates this would be easier). I really cannot fathom people just sitting by/outside their vehicle when they've broken down. My OH broke down on a blind bend in his newly acquired 4x4 late one night. Amongst other things the handbrake seized, it couldn't be towed and the breakdown service had to contact 3 different garages to get the car onto a low loader. In the meantime I phoned the police who sent someone out with cones and flashing lights. I ended up going to the scene as well to pick him & the dog up and took his medication as that was overdue as well.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2013, 06:47 PM
It was 5 am dark and freezing cold. A recovery vehicle had turned up and refused to help because they had dogs. The dogs where safe in metal reinforced crates so I have no idea what his issue was. He drove away and left them in the dark.
I will be rethinking my arrangements as I am covered by RAC and pay it for peace of mind in case something happens away from home when I usually have my dogs with me.
The RAC knew what they were recovering and that they had dogs so why send the first one.

Well I no longer have peace of mind so I think I will be looking around as my cover is due in December.
One person in intensive care three dogs dead one dog injured and everyone else traumatised is not acceptable.
They are quick to take the money and call themselves the 4th emergency service

Edited to add the injured dog has had to be PTS today due to her injuries
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2013, 06:59 PM
From what I'm reading most recovery services don't automatically collect with dogs. And I see some of the bigger ones say you should take out an extra protection to cover pets in the vehicle. But be honest who expects 12 dogs? If the reason for recovery had been the accident and not breakdown where do they put 12 dogs? Not in the cab of recovery vehicle. Some only take two people.

This should be a reminder to all who travel with animals to check their cover. I don't imagine any here would ever be in same situation with so many dogs in one vehicle, but I'm definitely thinking of dog walkers who collect dogs by van.

In fact I doubt whether many rescues have ever had a private vehicle to recover that had 12 dogs in it.

Should also serve as a reminder of the general rule not to stay in the vehicle if broken down on motorway. The risk of being hit from behind is a high one. And to carry the safety items easily available from garages and which are obligatory in many countries.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2013, 07:03 PM
10,000 people travel to dog shows per week most with multiple dogs.

They had someone nearby with alternatives for the dogs they just needed towing off the motorway or to the nearest services which I believe was close by.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Its something I worry about now. When I had my previous car the AA always towed us to a place of safety to wait for the relay leaving all in the car but my car now is an automatic & you can only tow that with a suspended tow so I make sure they know this when I call.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I hope that there is a lot of soul searching going on today, RAC are on damage limitation today.

One of the ladies has reportedly had 11000 texts from all over the world.

Why wasn't a lane coned off, it wouldn't have caused major holdup at that time in the morning on a Saturday. As it was there were further accidents due to rubber checking.

Sadly another dog was PTS due to injuries. The young lady is still at last report in intensive care.

Will certainly be rethinking my travel arrangements, particularly when towing the caravan.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Having the lane coned off would have been a job for the Police wouldn't it?

It's all very sad. Would be interested to hear responses from those who've said they are going to check with their insurers what the situation is with their recovery plan.

Of course loads of people don't even have breakdown or recovery insurance. It is not compulsory. I've broken down on a motorway in the past and the police arranged for the car to be towed. As with GSD Sue, it was an automatic so couldn't just be towed on the road. And hell did we wait a long time and we didn't have any choice about where it was towed to either.

I appreciate people travel to dog shows all over the country but I still think the vast majority of them don't all have that many dogs in their vehicles.

This sad incident will hopefully prompt all those that do cover their vehicles for breakdown and recovery to check just what is covered and what the situation is regarding pets in the vehicle. Some I've looked at don't even mention them anywhere.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Some people are trying to organise help up and down the country for anyone with dogs or big vehicles who break down. Whilst this is all very generous of those who have offered their time and services I cannot help but think that they will be putting themselves in a position of vulnerability and what their insurers would think? Our local radio is running an ad campaign to make drivers more considerate to road workers and it wasnt that long ago a breakdown service engineer was killed on the motorway near here when he was attempting a repair.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 05:28 PM
I spoke to the RAC today and they say it is up to the recovery driver if they will deal with the dogs or not. I have just heard an interview with one of the ladies.
They where told the delay was getting someone who would deal with the dogs
All the dogs were crated in metal reinforced crates and sounds like they saved the lives of some of the dogs.
I have 7 dogs and they could all be in my van at one time so I will be looking at my service.
The RAC could not even give me guidelines to let me know what would be the deciding factor for the driver to not want to help. The dogs were all safe and there was no need put them in the cab of the recovery truck they could have been towed to safety with the dogs still in place.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >