View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Well lets hope we never have to test that theory because even a muzzled dog can kill with the strength of it's head by head butting a small child I believe. To imagine any breed cannot damage a child is as I said earlier rather crazy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Well lets hope we never have to test that theory because even a muzzled dog can kill with the strength of it's head by head butting a small child I believe. To imagine any breed cannot damage a child is as I said earlier rather crazy.
Children even the smallest are more likely to hurt a Pekingese than the reverse.

Perhaps if it was Law that children should never be left alone with ANY dog & that the onus is on the parent to protect the child, rather than laying the blame ay the paws of the dog.

Dogs do not decide to bite for the hell of it, it is the last line of defence for them. They warn by body language, then vocally & finally by their actions.

I used to show my dogs & have lost count of the number of children from toddlers upwards that have grabbed, kicked, poked, etc my dogs with their parents looking on doing sweet FA.

The only parents that always asked if their children could touch my dogs were the parents of children with disabilities & 99.99% of the children were lovely with my dogs. An autistic teenage boy's reaction to cuddling my Joedee was heartwarming, his face lit up & he was so gentle & had the biggest smile. His parents told me that he had been wanting a dog, but they thought that he would be too rough. He rarely laughed apparently, but my Joedee putting his paws round his neck & licking his face had him chuckling & his parents were so happy.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 04:34 PM
We don't even know if this dog was alone with the child so any law about children alone with dogs may very well not have saved her.

As for any one dog being incapable of harming anyone I like to think my Mollie is pretty much incapable but being a sensible person I know she has teeth and claws and doesn't think like a human so could in extreme circumstances do something I would not ordinarily predict she would.

We have to be realists and stop thinking our dog is somehow incapable of making a mistake.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I agree that no owner should leave their dog alone with a child,I don't care how much you trust your dog. Thing is this little girl wasn't alone when the dog attacked her.
Children are not always to blame when they are bitten or worse and not all children are disrespectful of dogs.When children come to my home,I make them aware of the fact that Lacey doesn't like to be lifted.She will snap if I child does this so it's up to me to lay down the rule,then no one gets hurt.I have never known a child whether inside or out that has ever hurt her in any way.On the contrary they have been very gentle with her.I would never leave her for a second though.Obviously not all children behave this well around dogs but then again not all dogs are friendly either.Some are very capable of attacking and killing as unfortunately this latest case shows.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

We have to be realists and stop thinking our dog is somehow incapable of making a mistake.
I don't own a Pekingese, but I do know a lot about them & what they can & can't do, even know one that was the one of nastiest dogs I have ever met-he was a big boy & tried his best to bite me, but he couldn't & scratches & head butts from a small dog don't kill you, I suppose I could have tripped over him, but then that would have been my fault.

Both your dogs have muzzles & ergo can bite & cause serious damage.

Would never trust a child with my dogs-not even Mr T who adores children & that is something instinctive in him as I actively do not like children. He even lays down so that he doesn't push them over-he leans on adults all the time & he never offers to jump up at children & never has, yet I had to do some serious training to stop him jumping up at adults.

I am a realistic & would never ever allow a child to have unsupervised contact with my dogs & also actively discourage children from being in contact with my dogs, unless they are known to me & known to be dog savvy.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Joedee - just one point - however careful you were (as I've always been) I bet you could have staked your life on that your dogs would NEVER kill, maim or even slightly hurt a small child?

I know I could. But still used to put the GSDs outside when visitors with toddlers called. However - obviously I didn't put her outside when my own two toddlers were around. They grew up together.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
RIP little one. With the angels now. xxx

You could never legislate to stop children being left alone with a dog as it would be unenforceable. In this case, the mother was with the child so it is a mute point.

Dogs, particularly those with a poor history, can bite without any warning whatsoever. Often the body language and vocalisation has been punished out leaving an unpredictable dog.

The history of the dog is unknown. The details of the incident are sketchy to say the least.

RIP Lexi and no matter the circumstances may your mum find peace. It must be so difficult
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:20 PM
So very well said.

Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I cannot find words to express my sadness at this. My heart goes out to Lexi's Mom and the loss of a child should make the World cry.

What we have created is a World is to invite/introduce into our homes dogs who for centuries if not longer have been bred with various purposes in mind; we have moved them from there normal environment; restricted their exercise; not given them a purpose or role and in expect them to be quiet and unresponsive almost for 22 out of 24 hours and then to almost be "available on a whim" dogs are not bred or wired to be treated in such a way. And innocents are paying the price.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Thank you.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
So very well said.
Hear hear.