register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Are you for or against organ donation? (Please explain reasons on your choice)
Yes I'm for it and am an organ donor. 52 68.42%
Yes I'm for it, but too scared to be one. 9 11.84%
No I'm not for it and am not an organ donor. 4 5.26%
Other....... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Hope you don't mind me asking....why is your husband uncomfortable about YOU being on the bone marrow register?
It wouldn't be him donating.

I don't mind at all. There are two methods of donation. One involves you taking a drug which increases the number of stem cells in your blood stream, then they take blood out of one arm, filter out the stem cells and put the rest of the blood back in the other arm. The other involves you being put under general anaesthetic while they put a big needle into your femur to take out some of the bone marrow itself. Either way, you can feel pretty rotten for a while afterwards, but Chris' real concern is the general anaesthetic. There's always a risk associated with GA, and he feels that it's not good to have one unless it's entirely necessary. Clearly if I died under anaesthetic, I wouldn't know much about it , but as he's the one who would be left behind I think it's only fair to involve him in descision.

Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by duboing
I don't mind at all. There are two methods of donation. One involves you taking a drug which increases the number of stem cells in your blood stream, then they take blood out of one arm, filter out the stem cells and put the rest of the blood back in the other arm. The other involves you being put under general anaesthetic while they put a big needle into your femur to take out some of the bone marrow itself. Either way, you can feel pretty rotten for a while afterwards, but Chris' real concern is the general anaesthetic. There's always a risk associated with GA, and he feels that it's not good to have one unless it's entirely necessary. Clearly if I died under anaesthetic, I wouldn't know much about it , but as he's the one who would be left behind I think it's only fair to involve him in descision.
Ahh, I undersdtand why now

I've actually had a bone marrow test - they took bone marrow from my pelvis, whilst I was under sedation - hurt like a bitch, and I couldn't walk for a week!
Also had the drugs that make your bone marrow produce cells - drug called GCSF - also hurts like a bitch! lol
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I give blood and am a full organ donor.

My aunt just received a partial cornea transplant or similar ( not sure exactly) but basically she was going blind at not even 50 and now she can see things she was never able to before.

If me my husband, my child or any other family/friend was sick or dying in need of a transplant - I would obviously want it for them - so I dont feel I have the right to then not choose to donate myself.

My family know I am a donor, I carry a card and I am on a register and I too believe that it should be an opt out system than opt in.

I truly believe in it and cant see any reason for my body after I am no longer in it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I opted for an epidural for my bone marrow donation as I like to know what is going on & the surgeons even provided me with close circuit TV so I could watch the procedure(yes sad aren't I)

I was most upset to not be able to watch when the did my Carpal Tunnel & trapped nerve ops Not hospital policy sadly !
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 07:46 PM
i have expressed my wishes for my organs to be donated, i really hate the idea of corneas and skin being used, but, i wont need them so they may as well have them!!!!

My uncle had to have a kidney transplant when i was a kid, so i could never refuse somebody another shot at life,

( so long as they deserved it!!)

The only thing im not sure of is if you have 5 organs that can be used, do they take them all or just take one????

Cos it would be such a waste wouldnt it??

Alex
xx
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Hevvur, Steve,

Found this on donor site FAQs

18Can I be a donor if I have an existing medical condition?

Yes, having a medical condition does not necessarily prevent a person from becoming an organ or tissue donor. The decision about whether some or all organs or tissue are suitable for transplant is made by a doctor, taking account of the medical history. Usually, but not always, it is possible for some organs or tissue to be donated.

A set of guidelines, called the MSBT guidelines is available. The guidelines stress that it is the responsibility of the medical teams caring for both donor and recipient of any organ/tissue to determine the relative benefits and risks of any transplant.

Click here to see a copy of the MSBT guidelines (166Kb)

Back to organ donation - your questions...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Cheers for that Alexandra!

Although im not planning on popping my clogs just yet-atleast there is a possibility of something inside me being used to benefit someone else should i die suddenly.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 08:31 PM
You have to respect the individual's opinons and feelings and if they don't like the idea, that's fine - but I don't really care what happens to me when I'm dead - when you're dead, you're dead ... right? As long as my survivors are okay with it I'm happy to be used for medical research/organ donation when I'm gone.
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I have been for years. Not only am I an organ doner I also give plasma and platlets
I look at it this way, if they can use it they can have it after all when I've curled up my toes they are not much use to me
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Not sure if this is in the right place?? Just wondering what everyones feelings are about this? I was having a discussion with my sis the other day about it and discovered that she is one.
I can't say that I'm against it, as it's great for those who need them and for those who want to do it. I'm just not one of them and I don't feel in the least bit guilty.

My partner knows full well that should I be in an accident that requires me to have an organ donated from someone, I really don't want it. It's not a question of any faith, as I don't have any. I just personally believe that we should go out as we came in, and that extending life through artifical means does more harm than good to our society.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »