Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ArjunKundu
New Member!
Male 

07-05-2017, 04:10 AM

A stray dog with health issues

There is a stray dog that visits our home during every meal. She gets her share, and often spends the night within our house premise. A week back I noticed she started losing her appetite. She still ate, but only the proteins, sniffing them out from her bowl. Couple of days ago, she first lost her balance in front of me. And now, today, she can't even get up, can't even lift her head. She has lots of grime at the corners of her eyes. She has also developed a twitch which is recurring in every few seconds.

I live in a remote village in the eastern part of India. The only vet we have in our locality isn't properly trained, he just took some government exam, and now he has the responsibility of looking after all the domestic animals in an area spanning seven villages. I had approached this vet yesterday about the dog, he said it's just heat, it's nothing to worry about.

The temperature is pretty bad here, 38 degrees Celsius with high humidity. I am keeping her cool, hydrated. I feel helpless. Is there anything I can do? And what's causing this?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Has she got any ticks on her? If you can maybe remove any and then treat her for fleas and ticks.
ArjunKundu
New Member!
Male 

07-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Has she got any ticks on her? If you can maybe remove any and then treat her for fleas and ticks.
Well. being a stray, she does have a few ticks, and fleas. You think something like this can be caused by bugs? I am genuinely asking.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Ticks can be fatal if not removed. But wondering if she has had a stroke.
Thank you for helping her
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Yes ticks can cause health problems especially if there are lots of them. If you can get rid of them that will be one thing less to worry about. Lovely to know someone cares.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2017, 10:41 AM
It would be pretty impossible to even guess what may be going on, and yes treating for ticks and worms may help, although if she has a tick borne disease she will need medications.
If it were me, I would ask for wide range antibiotics and pain relief/ anti-inflammatory medication from the vet, at least you are then ruling out any infection, but in honesty, without a diagnosis it is very hard to help. Good luck.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Is she holding her head tilted to one side at all?

Look up Vestibular Episodes and see if the symptoms are anything near what you are seeing.
ArjunKundu
New Member!
Male 

07-05-2017, 12:57 PM
My research was pointing to vestibular episodes as well, except for one key issue. I've found it occurs with older dogs, but she is only 2 years old.
Is it possible that it can occur with younger dogs as well?
ArjunKundu
New Member!
Male 

07-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Yeah, stroke is something I'm dreading as well.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Are her eyes flicking from side to side, horizontally? This is usually a sign of a vestibular episode.
There is no real treatment for it, except supportive treatment like anti- sickness drugs, possibly antibiotics to cover an inner ear infection and maybe steroids.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >