Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I was given 'The book of the Bitch' for my birthday on Saturday (quite an apt present from my boyfriend I think!).

Just having a bit of a read tonight & am quite shocked at what is written in page 41 Biting. It reads........This merits a growl and a snap on your part, copying the mode of punishment an adult dog would give her. A sharp shake is an extreme lesson, but sometimes necessary when the puppy gets over-excited as she will on occasion until she learns her limits.
What are they thinking? words fail me.
Yep, that's the Book of the Bitch!

Unfortunately, much of the advice re bitches is actually very good so this book is often read and recommended by breeders. I wonder sometimes if these "sneaky" books are why some people still tend to go for non reward methods of training.

I read a bit in it where if a dog was sick by eating grass and kept doing it, the dog was to be told off and a few other really bad things. I actually used the book for some bits on my foundation course a few years ago but only for the good knowledgeable bits about dogs reproduction etc not the training! 'Cos the training in it is just not good.

Wys
x
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I think with The Book of the Bitch, it's like everything, training methods and so on move on. I agree that some of the training methods in it are out of touch but anyone I recommend the book to would know that shaking a dog and so on is not a productive way to train a dog. As for the rest of it, I think it's a fab book and explains everything else in an easily understandable and sensible way.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I recommend TBOTB as a 'medical' type book for those with bitches 'who find themselves' breeding and it is very good for those people who know very little about the canine reproduction process.

As John says it was first published in 1988 and we didn't have the internet and websites for people to share information then. I know many people have found it invaluable.

However it is not a training book and ideas on training have progressed considerably since the book was first published.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Meh...he gets a mention here and there but no good threads on this forum.

As flavour - Koehler's method for stopping a dog from digging in the flowerbeds involved making the dog believe that it was dying. I don't think anyone in the UK advertises as using his methods but several trainers in the States still revere him.
sort of Barbara Woodhouse with bigger cojones? Times change thank heaven.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm the same as YS - I nip Bryan's ears when we're playing. He loves it and always come back for more!

I've heard TBOTB recommended a lot to people, but I wonder if those who recommend have read ALL of it and would condone shaking a puppy?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I recommend TBOTB as a 'medical' type book for those with bitches 'who find themselves' breeding and it is very good for those people who know very little about the canine reproduction process.

As John says it was first published in 1988 and we didn't have the internet and websites for people to share information then. I know many people have found it invaluable.

However it is not a training book and ideas on training have progressed considerably since the book was first published.
DITO, I see it as a book of breeding/whelping pups, to me its not a training book, I always recommend it to anyone planning to mate there bitch.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
DITO, I see it as a book of breeding/whelping pups, to me its not a training book, I always recommend it to anyone planning to mate there bitch.
Yes, I agree, but some of the chapters get you understanding the physical/mental side of your bitch, where your average training book doesn't.

If you are simply looking for a basic training book, TBOTB is not the book of course. But if you want to get inside the mind or your dog (as much as a human can) and understand a little more of how she ticks, why she shows certain behaviours, phantom pregnancies and such like, I think the book is fab!

Sarah, as I said before, as with all books training or otherwise, there are bits that will have "gone out of fashion" so to speak. I would imagine that most people that own dogs today would know that you don't "shake" a dog (I'd bl@@dy hope so anyways)
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2009, 11:29 AM
All dog training and behaviour "Books" where written I believe with best intent at the time.

I have yet to read any book (and Ive read hundreds) where I woud agree with everything or disagree with everything.

I think any form of education is useful even if it means that you simply educate yourself how NOT to do something. Books are there I think yo make yourself ask questions. The only unfortunate thing is that where a "new to dogs" person reads and digests a WHOLE book that has bits in it that are dangerous.

Everything is also open to interpretation. And interpretation is often down to previous experience or intuition. No matter how wishy washy or unscientific a training method or indeed how dangerous or unethical, it probably will work with some owner/dog combinations.

Happy book reading people.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2