register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What are your views on Show dogs entering fun shows
Yes, they should be allowed as per KC rules which should apply for all fun shows, affiliated or not 26 38.81%
No, Show dogs of any level should not be allowed to enter Pedigree classes in fun shows 3 4.48%
Yes, they are a good way for new dogs to gain ring experience for Formal Shows 31 46.27%
No, let them learn at ringcraft and in the actual show ring only 2 2.99%
Yes, its all more entry money and thats what counts for the show/charity concerned 22 32.84%
No, we dont want their entry money thank you 0 0%
I`m not bovvered either way, all I want is a nice time with my dog 17 25.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 11:00 PM
I can see no reason why show dogs should not compete at Companion Shows but I've voted 'I'm not bovvered' because this is the nearest I can relate to, for a slightly different reason.

I haven't voted for any of the options welcoming show dogs in FUN shows, for the simple reason that this is actually against KC rules.... or at least it used to be at one time.

There is/was KC ruling that anyone who normally exhibited/judged under KC rules, who exhibiting at, organised or judged at a fun show ie those run outside KC regulations, could be disciplined by the KC.

If this has now now changed, I'd appreciate someone telling me
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 11:09 PM
You can compete had fun shows providing your dogs doesnt have a cc, rcc or JW. If your dog has one of these award you can still compete but only in the novelty classes.
i've never known it to be completly against KC rules
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Think Pod is talking about the time when it was possible to be disciplined for taking part at a show not recognised by the KC.

I think that has been relaxed now certainly has in agility
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
You can compete had fun shows providing your dogs doesnt have a cc, rcc or JW. If your dog has one of these award you can still compete but only in the novelty classes.
i've never known it to be completly against KC rules
I think if it's a Fun show, the organizers can make up the rules to suit themselves but I'm taking 'fun' show to mean, outside KC regulations ie with no licence.

Companion shows do exclude dogs with the above awards yes, but I think also awards that count towards foreign titles eg Irish green stars and CACIBS count too. And there are some who interpret these exclusions to include novelty classes too. I was told this by one committee, they said they'd checked with KC. I'm not sure who is right on that one though!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Think Pod is talking about the time when it was possible to be disciplined for taking part at a show not recognised by the KC.

I think that has been relaxed now certainly has in agility
Ah thanks Cava. I had noticed there are lots of agility and obedience now run outside KC jurisdiction. Interesting if this applies to all disciplines.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 07:51 AM
I think the KC realised they were on a very sticky wicket with that ruling and it now says that the KC may 'recognise' shows that aren't under KC rules. Because they have the monopoly of dog registration yet you can't be a member of the club itself they have a few legal issues lol!
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 08:00 AM
I know this ruling came in very handy for the KC some decades ago when the GSD faternity was building up to a breakaway organisation. It meant that they would have had to do it in a clean break, which was untenable logistically.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I voted that they should be allowed to be shown.

Two of Bradleys litter brothers went to pet homes (as did all my pups), but the owners went to one companion show and enjoyed themselves, they have been to three so far and at 9 months old one of the pups won RBIS, the other got a 5th place in the same class. Yes they are from show stock but these people have never shown in their lives, I haven't shown them how to stack their dogs nor have they been to ringcraft. The dogs had also not been trimmed at that point.

Why is it any different for them to take their dogs than it is for me to take the litter brother? Is it because he has had a little bit of training, has been placed at a champ show and is trimmed regularly? Oh, and because I know how to stand him correctly?

None of this means he will win over dogs that haven't had training or been trimmed. Its just whatever the judge likes on the day. I've had Best in Show and Best Puppy at companion shows, I've also been unplaced with the same dogs, its exactly the same gamble that you take at any show. You go with the best dog and come home with it too, if you get a nice little reminder of your lovely day, and you dog wins itself a little treat or two, then all the better
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 08:54 AM
yes .. and why is there an assumption that dogs that "go" to Open and Champ shows and/or are handled by "professionals" are actually good examples of their breed? Anyone can enter if their dog is KC registered! That is why the ban by the KC is on "proven" winning dogs as far as this can be defined. I suppose the definition of a "proven" show dog could be extended beyond stud book number, champion, JW but I am not sure how you would do this. I have seen plenty of rubbish, for example, win a 1st place at a champ show because no-one else was in the ring!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 11:06 AM
I've also had BIS at a companion show and the week after got 4 out of four, as yuo say you pay your money and take your chance. To be honest doesnt bother me, its a nice day out, we take all the dogs crate them ans=d take it in turns at walking them around. At Champ shows we have a couple of dogs who dont like showing and it gives us chance to spend time with them as well.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >