Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Hmmmm I have to say I do not have children myself however my dog or any child on this planet and it would be the child every time.............
So if my GSD had nipped the child that stabbed him with a craft knife I should have had him killed ?????

Nope sorry not ALL children are innocent little angels-Mary Flora Bell(10), Robert Thompson(10) & Jon Venerables(10)& it is a fact that many serial killers start as children abusing animals Thompson & Venerables fall into this catagory
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:30 PM
No need to apologise -

I didn't make the statement to help or hinder - it was a single sentence amongst others.

You're right not every dog ending up in rescue comes from a bad background but I would hazard a guess most do.

[QUOTE=spot;2755091]
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi Bitkin - I too feel so sorry for this dog. Ending up in rescue kennels so surely didn't have a good background,

Sorry but this sort of statement is not going to help in any way! It may come as a surprise to you that not every dog ending up in rescue comes from a bad background!

This is a one of incident and should be treated as such.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
looking at the picture... doesn't look like a bulldog to me. Bulldog cross maybe? Certainly a 'bull breed' though.

The dog was picked up as a stray by the dog warden and had been assessed by the rescue centre as having no behavioural issues...

Horrible horrible tragedy, my heart goes out to the family and to the rescue coordinators and kennel owner who must be feeling absolutely terrible.

I have worked with rescued bull breeds, so many of them are so soft and I have performed initial behaviour assessments on pound dogs and homechecked and approved houses with children over 5 to place bull breeds. I have always given strict advice that dog and child should never be alone and for the dog to sleep separately, in a different room, or in a crate from any children in the house... But in a 2 hour assessment of the dog, or of the home, I can't test for every situation the dog may go through in a home environment... I can't imagine how I would feel if a dog I had helped place hurt a child, let alone something as horrible as this

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_4226166.html
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:24 AM
The Kennels are NOT a rescue they are a commercial kennels contracted to the council for the boarding of strays & their subsquent sale if not claimed.

They have a lot of unclaimed Staffie types available for rehoming & no mention of homechecks or that the dogs are correctly asseseed just whatthe kennel staff think of the dogs

The mother quite simply should have stayed within the tenancy agreement & not had a dog, then the incident would not have happened QED
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2013, 10:36 AM
The mother of the four-year-old girl mauled to death by her per bulldog had seen a sign at the re-homing centre warning it was not suitable for children but was told it was 'fine as long as he wasn't allowed to jump up'.

[my bold]

Link to article

Yet she went ahead and bought it.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
There seems to be enough blame to share around in this case sadly that won't bring back this innocent life.

Not sure what the outcome should be more laws ? usually bad if done as a knee jerk reaction.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The Kennels are NOT a rescue they are a commercial kennels contracted to the council for the boarding of strays & their subsquent sale if not claimed.

They have a lot of unclaimed Staffie types available for rehoming & no mention of homechecks or that the dogs are correctly asseseed just whatthe kennel staff think of the dogs

The mother quite simply should have stayed within the tenancy agreement & not had a dog, then the incident would not have happened QED
Thank you

I have explained a few times no what is and isn't a rescue centre , but it doesn't appear to have worked
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=Baxter8;2755133]No need to apologise -

I didn't make the statement to help or hinder - it was a single sentence amongst others.

You're right not every dog ending up in rescue comes from a bad background but I would hazard a guess most do.

What do you mean by bad background ?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
The old 'muzzle all dogs' brigade are back out of course...

I have volunteered with a local pound kennels to help assess their dogs.. The kennel owner is a soft hearted fellow who genuinely can't bear to keep seeing these dogs brought in by the dog warden and one week later (dogs have just 7 days to be reclaimed) they are taken away and destroyed. He set aside 10 of his own boarding kennels to try and save the nicer of the dogs and asks for volunteers and help to assess these dogs and homecheck prospective owners, he charges a minimal amount to help cover the food and board of these death row doggies, the council money runs out after 7 days and the dogs are either destroyed or his... though he will give to rescues free of charge. The rescues come in once a month or so and mop up all the little ones, the terriers and toys, all the labradors and collies, lurchers and shepherds and what he is left with to try and rehome are the bullies, the wiggly staffies, the rotties and the 'not quite measured as pitbulls'... We assess them as best we can, and those showing signs of kennel stress, those that fail any of the resource guarding checks, those that are unhealthy, or too scared... they go on the next dog warden pick up... Its horrible... You try walking up a row of kennels and put red stickers on the kennels of the ones to die. Put green stickers on the ones you are willing to gamble wont kill a child and amber stickers on the ones you think you might be able to train... But be prepared after weeks of one to one training you may have to give her a last hug and pop a red sticker on her cage because she just still wont give you back her ball, it's all she owns and she'll freeze and warn you that she just wants this one thing... then roll over to show you her belly, but just please don't take away the ball.

I truly hope the kennel owner has a strong support network. Her life is about to be made a living hell because she looked into an amber dogs eyes and couldn't bear to give it a red sticker

Does he rescue dogs? Undoubtably, dogs not other 'proper rescue' will give a chance to.. but is he a 'rescue'? well as a private kennels and the council pound. no I don't suppose you'd think he was.

Should he just let the dog warden do their job and destroy these dogs? .. perhaps... but that's easier to say on screen than when you are feeding and cleaning and walking these dogs every day.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
[quote=KYes;2755222]
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
No need to apologise -

What do you mean by bad background ?

I would hazard a guess even if dogs that are fine before being put into rescue become damaged by the experience of losing their much loved home and put into a new one, even if they never experience kennels and are rehomed from one home to another. The shock and dismay they feel will stay with them in some form or other. Add to that many giving up dogs have disengaged from them at some point to be able to hand them over and you have a damaged dog.

Also many are badly treated deliberately and by neglect and it's only when the person gets really fed up with the dog they seek a new home for it.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »