View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
No idea you would need to ask the BBC where I heard the information.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
The image I saw showed the dog sitting down with the little girl. It did look much the same as the dog in the stock image used elsewhere.

Definitely didn't look anything like a pitbull to me. It was a dog with a wrinkly face. Huge dog (compared with the little girl of course)

And just now read this re where they got the dog...

Kennels confirms they supplied dog that killed Lexi
Orchard Kennels and Cattery, in Barrow-upon-Soar, has confirmed the family of Lexi Branson got the dog that attacked and killed the four-year-old from them.A spokesman, who did not want to be named, said he could not comment any further while the police investigation was ongoing.
Their website looks more like just a boarding kennels. But they do have COCKAPOOS for sale on there.

http://www.orchardkennelsandcatteryl....com/id10.html
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
It also says on their website:

Willow Tree is a new venture at Orchard Kennels.
Leicester City Council have a contract with us whereby strays found in the LCC area are brought to the kennels.
We have a dedicated kennel block and kennel assistants for these dogs and if they are unclaimed after 7 days, they are available for rehoming.
All dogs available for rehoming will be micro chipped and given flea treatments.
To cover costs of their food and care, a charge will be made of between £50-£100.

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I cannot find words to express my sadness at this. My heart goes out to Lexi's Mom and the loss of a child should make the World cry.

What we have created is a World is to invite/introduce into our homes dogs who for centuries if not longer have been bred with various purposes in mind; we have moved them from there normal environment; restricted their exercise; not given them a purpose or role and in expect them to be quiet and unresponsive almost for 22 out of 24 hours and then to almost be "available on a whim" dogs are not bred or wired to be treated in such a way. And innocents are paying the price.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Think you are both right. I have been reading about this via the local paper, which reports the mother had in the past looked for rescue dogs in a private rehoming website and this dog came from a local rescue . Seemingly descriptions two events. local paper also has actual pics of this dog and the girl.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
The image I saw showed the dog sitting down with the little girl. It did look much the same as the dog in the stock image used elsewhere.

Definitely didn't look anything like a pitbull to me. It was a dog with a wrinkly face. Huge dog (compared with the little girl of course)

And just now read this re where they got the dog...

Their website looks more like just a boarding kennels. But they do have COCKAPOOS for sale on there.

http://www.orchardkennelsandcatteryl....com/id10.html
hence the gist of my earlier rescue procedure post
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Interestingly , this morning I googled the rescues nearby this village. I went thru the list looking at description of each one and said to myself 'I bet it was that place'. And now I find out I was right I was right.....ummm
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
It is an easy out to blame a rescue when the majority are people doing there best it is the people who WILL NOT take responsibility for their actions if a dog is not suitable to live alongside humans - have the dog PTS - save further heartbreak for human and dog. Don't pass it on, and don't repeat the mistake and get another "designer/fashion" cut puppy. But it will all fall on deaf ears at this moment thousands are giving their dog up and next month replace with a puppy.

I do not think every dog can be saved we have too many dogs and not enough responsible homes - although terrible errors are made in responsible homes -as we are dealing with another species. People assume it will not happen to them because they live inside a "I am alright Jack" or TV reality bubble.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Apparently the dog DDB that is shown in the papers belong to an uncle. the dog was looked after a while back with no problems. the photos are said to have been lifted from the mothers FB page and assumed this was the dog.
The dog is believed to have come from a rescue and the rescue concerned has confirmed it cam from them.
The neighbors say it was a pit bull but the police say they don't believe it is an illegal breed.
The photos I have seen show a cross breed that looks a bit like an AM bulldog or a mastif cross.

The dog had been re homed to a one bed room flat in a housing association that did not allow pets apparently.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
...[snip]...
The dog had been re homed to a one bed room flat in a housing association that did not allow pets apparently.
From a rescue that re-homes stray dogs after just seven days if they are not claimed.

How can they know if the dog is suitable to live with young children in such a short time - presumably with no home check either.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »