Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So the Horse was able to move around, had the use of all his legs? Thats VERY different than not being able to. Think about that for a moment.
Look at the first pic. His back legs were splayed to keep his balance. He was unable to lift his head any higher than it is. He had suffered a serious neck injury.

3 years ago he fractured his cannon bone from a kick from another horse. Again it was 6 weeks complete box rest, then short periods of walking in hand for a few minutes a day.

The point I am making is that many serious injuries, including some leg fractures, can be treated successfully given time, patience and finances.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Greyhawk;2503938]One of the greatest racers in history fractured a foot bone at 9 1/2 years of age. They put him in plaster for 4 months and he did recover enough to be used out hacking, however 3 years after his recovery he had to be PTS due to having advanced arthritis in the bone that had been broken and thus was in constant pain (according to reports).

So even though you say that horses can live for 30+ years, this isn't necessarily true after injury. Yes medicine has come a long way since this occured and it may be that now we could treat them better, but not in all cases. It really does depend on what bone they have fractured.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
As with any animal, pain relief is very manageable. Boredom can be alleviated slightly with stable amusements. Thousands of companion horses are pampered beyond belief (far more than at a racing yard). When I first took on my boy (he'd fractured his neck) we spent the first year bonding, lots of massage, walking out in hand, grooming, sitting in his stable talking to him, doing stretching exercises etc etc. He was as happy as Larry. Horses don't need to do anything to feel fulfilled, they are content with the company of their own kind as well as human companionship.

This pic is when I first got him

and this is him at the end of his recovery after having a year off work

I don't think he looks too unhappy with the hand he's been dealt

4 years after his accident he was a fairly successful show horse competing at County level.
Your boy is a credit to you.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I had Killyglen on to win it *zips up flamesuit and runs away very quickly*
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:59 PM
It's such a cruel race even for such magnificent animals such as these race horses.

The jumps show no kindness to them.

I understand that they are bred for this purpose, but the height and width of those jumps are evil
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Look at the first pic. His back legs were splayed to keep his balance. He was unable to lift his head any higher than it is. He had suffered a serious neck injury.

3 years ago he fractured his cannon bone from a kick from another horse. Again it was 6 weeks complete box rest, then short periods of walking in hand for a few minutes a day.

The point I am making is that many serious injuries, including some leg fractures, can be treated successfully given time, patience and finances.
So the answer is yes he was able to use all his legs, in fact he was even outside in a paddock! I do not doubt the severity of his injury, not for one moment, BUT a race horse, immobilised, often in a sling for MONTHS is just not comparable.

I did say some can be fixed, more and more in fact.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 07:39 PM
As with any animal, pain relief is very manageable. Boredom can be alleviated slightly with stable amusements. Thousands of companion horses are pampered beyond belief (far more than at a racing yard). When I first took on my boy (he'd fractured his neck) we spent the first year bonding, lots of massage, walking out in hand, grooming, sitting in his stable talking to him, doing stretching exercises etc etc. He was as happy as Larry. Horses don't need to do anything to feel fulfilled, they are content with the company of their own kind as well as human companionship.

This pic is when I first got him

and this is him at the end of his recovery after having a year off work

I don't think he looks too unhappy with the hand he's been dealt

4 years after his accident he was a fairly successful show horse competing at County level.
He is stunning Angie, and you have obviously worked wonders with him.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Not all about the money is it?
Apart from the massive stud fee's..money money money.

There's also the question of the waste of horses who don't make the grade and end up as meat.

Then the fact racehorses are backed and being raced at two years, well before their bones are mature, most horses aren't worked until four years, why is it different for racehorses ?.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 08:08 PM
40 started the race.15 finished and 3 dead so far........
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Apart from the massive stud fee's..money money money.

There's also the question of the waste of horses who don't make the grade and end up as meat.

Then the fact racehorses are backed and being raced at two years, well before their bones are mature, most horses aren't worked until four years, why is it different for racehorses ?.
Of course its a business. Why else would these animals be bred at all? Being worked and raced are very different. Im pretty sure the industry Vets and experts are sure of what they endorse does not harm the animal.
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »