Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 09:52 PM

sadie killed a rabbit :shock:

i went for an afternoon walk with the dogs today and yoda disappeared into a wooded, shrubbery area and then appeared with a rabbit in his mouth- i knew it was still alive as he is very gentle with his mouth-i think he thinks hes a gundog

anyway he was wagging his tail as he sat at my feet looking vey proud of himself so i gave him the command to drop (at this point i wasnt taking any notice of where sadie was i knew she was hovering but she didnt seem interested) and he dropped it and it ran off at lightening quick speed.....straight into the path of sadie who shook it to death so the two dogs then had a fight-not over it rather than because of it. they have never had a fight like that before. oh and it was such a waste as all yoda did was pick it up and carry it after it died bless him i thought she might aswel eat it but they werent having none of it!!
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Can't blame the dog for instincts. Not nice, but it happens.

Roxy caught a rabbit alive once and brought it to me just like yours. I thought she might have eaten it too... but I know she's saving herself for those pesky squirrels
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
A few years ago, Kali and Snorri-dog got a rabbit quite near the house, and they were terribly pleased with themselves! I checked that it didn't have myxie and took it home, where it became a stew, K & S got the lights in their dinners.

A few days later, they got a rat, but were extremely confused when I threw it into a field! (Marmalised)

Snorri
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2009, 10:25 AM
It seems we have a lot of mixy around our neck of the woods at the moment and it feels like I can't go out at the mo without coming across someone whose dog has caught one!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 01:58 PM
My dogs fairly regularly catch and kill rabbits ... they then eat them though, so at least it isn't a waste!

You should have taken it home and chopped it up for them
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
My dogs fairly regularly catch and kill rabbits ... they then eat them though, so at least it isn't a waste!
Bara will chase rabbits too, but has never caught one yet, if she did I know she would eat it too since she once found a deer leg in the forest and between where she found it and getting back to car she devoured the lot
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Hollys killed two, I have taken them off her though, they were alive with fleas...didnt want the little buggas jumping on to her..

pml at snorris marmalised rats again
dont think I will look at a pot of marmalade quite the same again
poser
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 06:09 PM
pml at snorris marmalised rats again
dont think I will look at a pot of marmalade quite the same again
whats all that about?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 06:24 PM
ah that came from snorris bumwiper thread. lol
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Pharaoh and Bizkit used to catch rabbits regularly when they were younger. We would count a walk by how many bunnies it was, a two or three bunny walk was normal in baby bunny season, but Mixy could bring the walk count up to as many as 8 or 9. I bumped into the park warden once while Pharaoh was proudly carrying his supper home (only the healthy but stupid baby bunnies for dinner). He advised me that he was more than happy for me to keep the bunny population down and praised them as the bunnies areundermining the fields, but I'm not allowed to take them home as that could be seen as hunting with dogs or poaching ... No more rabbit suppers for us. After that I always leave them on the raised concrete sewer entrances for the foxes...

Despite her high prey drive Kismet isn't keen on rabbits, they scare her. Pharaoh ran one out of the bushes and straight into her legs when she was a puppy and she's never forgiven them. :P