View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
The OP didn't mention that she wanted 9 dogs right at this moment. She even said that if she finds she can't cope with 4 dogs, she's not going to bring in any others. She's going about it the right way by asking people who are experienced with living with so many dogs.

Who knows, her opinion might change in the future.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree but she is talking more as if she has a plan than it's just a dream.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Since when is planning for something wrong? I find it's better to plan and research before actually doing something that can be complicated. It doesn't mean it's going to happen right now. When I was younger I too wanted many dogs. Did it mean I had to have them at that very moment? The answer is no. I worked towards being able to fulfill my dream when it was a possibility. Hopefully the OP will do the same thing.

There are long term plans and that could be what the OP meant.
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
This is a a dream that I plan to realise. At least I will try. I would never do something that would hurt my dogs, like having too many or mistreating them. I would just not let it happen. That's why I choose to do this slowly. I could be like some people who get dog after dog without realising what a huge responsiblity that is. I have been thinking of having this many dogs for at least four years. If I can't afford it, I will wait until I can afford it. If I don't have time, I will wait until I have time.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Since when is planning for something wrong? I find it's better to plan and research before actually doing something that can be complicated. It doesn't mean it's going to happen right now. When I was younger I too wanted many dogs. Did it mean I had to have them at that very moment? The answer is no. I worked towards being able to fulfill my dream when it was a possibility. Hopefully the OP will do the same thing.

There are long term plans and that could be what the OP meant.
I am not saying planning is wrong that is unless the plan is for something that will in reality not work. Bit like planners who insist their plans worked on paper when it is obvious it doesn't work on any practical level at all.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 02:58 PM
There are plenty of people out there that have many dogs are are doing just fine. You can't judge whether a person can handle it or not via an on-line forum and not knowing the person well.

While I don't know the OP personally and can't vouch for her personally, I can understand what she's trying to learn by asking questions here.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi Well said Five Dog Pam,even with 2 its a struggle,but I take my hat off to you looking after 4dogs do they still have differant temperments because I have BSD and the pup is very needy,but since she has been with us the older one who reallydidnt want cuddles just playtime with a ball,has now decided she wants cuddles and clambers on my lap,then the pup does it,I cant imagine 4 doing that crystalgirl
I am lucky in that they all get on and are a very self-contained pack. I have never encouraged them to get on my lap but, having said that, the two youngest do like a cuddle but would never get on together! As my user name indicates, I did have five when I first joined this forum and could well add to the pack eventually!
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok ....here are some other reality checks .....we have a big crated dog van instead of a smart executive car, we have a separate dog account to pay for any unexpected vet bills or other expenses (insurance for 7 dogs would be crippling ) , we can never go on holiday as kennel fees would be too expensive, we have a separate dog room for food preparation and grooming, most evenings are spent at training classes and most weekends are spent competing ...in other words for the last 28 years our whole life has been dedicated to our dogs....be very sure that this is the level of commitment you can take on....and very importantly that any partner you may have is equally as committed !
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
There are plenty of people out there that have many dogs are are doing just fine. You can't judge whether a person can handle it or not via an on-line forum and not knowing the person well.

While I don't know the OP personally and can't vouch for her personally, I can understand what she's trying to learn by asking questions here.
Hi Timber
and well you are right, but all of those people are having a basic substance, they have partners, are married...

and what means a frugally life?
to live in a flatlet? with 9 quite big dogs?
or to stay at mummy and daddy for the rest of your life?

well, I have really no idea how everything is working there, over in Sweden, but for sure there will also nothing be for nothing, so from where should the money come?
to go to work beside having nine dogs?
me thinks, that's absolutely impossible!

I guess there are some things more important to plan, before I'm asking, if it's possible to walk nine dogs at once or not

would be the same, me asking if i should buy a yacht of rather a Cessna, before I've won the Lottery

so for this, all of that appears to me just too immature
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Well it's a dream and it's nice to have dreams.

But yes, one of the first things I thought of was how someone who goes out to work could keep nine dogs.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >