Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Taciturn View Post
My parents are not wealthy and I don't think I will ever marry someone. Yes, I am 17 years old and haven't finished school. I save money for this dog project and I plan to live quite frugally.

Golden Retriever is the right breed for me and I know they aren't very small dogs.
Aha, ohkaayy, then much success with your project *giggle*

by the way, you sure you are seventeen?
you rather sounds like seven
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:13 AM
As long as this dream is just a dream, then that's fine! I admit I am a lot lot older than you and found six dogs (which I had for six weeks) very hard work but then I had one very elderly who kept keeling over, one with bone cancer who had a leg amputated and was going through chemo, one that was just a puppy but had an accident and chipped a bit of bone off his leg..............etc., etc. As you see, everything is fine when they are all well but it doesn't take a lot to send everything pear-shaped and create problems. If I hadn't had insurance, I would have struggled to pay for all the above - however 'frugally' you live, can you honestly say you will be able to afford transport for them all, insurance, training, vaccinations, chiro/physio treatment as needed, worming, de-fleaing - oh and food of course? I have just four now and am lucky that I can walk them all together.

Just enjoy the dog you have now and leave this dream in the back of your mind until you, as a person, are settled in a way of life and then bring it back out and review it. Good luck!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi there,

In Sweden (where I live), you can have up to 9 adult dogs without any permit. I have a Shetland Sheepdog that is 1.5 years old now. Lately, I have been thinking of having many dogs. It seems exciting and fun, although I know it's very hard work. Of course, I won't get another 8 dogs right at the spot. I consider buying a dog when the newest dog is 2 years old. And if I find out I can't take care of more than, let's say, 4 dogs, I will not get another dog.

Anyone here who has the same dream?
And if you have some tips, please share.
Hi it sounds like a pack,I myself find it hard enough with two dogs both bitches,if I have a cuddle with one,the other one pushes in,and how would you give your time and attention to that many dogs,as each dog have there own needs crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
I have seven dogs .....it is a full on commitment , extremely time consuming, very expensive and very hard work.

I have my own paddock to excercise the dogs and they go out twice a day for a good run in two groups with 4 dogs in one group and 3 in the other as well as giving them individual training and exercise.

It costs around £120 per week to feed my lot and I spend around two hours every day on cleaning the house because of the mess they cause , we have kennels where they go if we are out and unable to supervise them , we have replaced all our carpets with slate or tiled flooring , have moved to the country where we have no neighbours and our social life and weekends revolve entirely around stuff to do with the dogs ......having so many dogs is not for the faint hearted !
I think Bijou has more or less covered all you need to know about owning lots of largeish dogs. And they've got their own paddock for exercise.

**when I was a kid I used to dream about having lots and lots of children (and pets)! When I grew up there were times when I thought with regard to children TWO's TERRIBLE lol! And then THREE'S ENOUGH! As regard to the pets, I've had many over the years but the biggest 'menagerie' I ever had was one dog, 2 cats, rabbit, guinea pig and giant tortoise and even I used to say 'I must be crazy'!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
As long as this dream is just a dream, then that's fine! I admit I am a lot lot older than you and found six dogs (which I had for six weeks) very hard work but then I had one very elderly who kept keeling over, one with bone cancer who had a leg amputated and was going through chemo, one that was just a puppy but had an accident and chipped a bit of bone off his leg..............etc., etc. As you see, everything is fine when they are all well but it doesn't take a lot to send everything pear-shaped and create problems. If I hadn't had insurance, I would have struggled to pay for all the above - however 'frugally' you live, can you honestly say you will be able to afford transport for them all, insurance, training, vaccinations, chiro/physio treatment as needed, worming, de-fleaing - oh and food of course? I have just four now and am lucky that I can walk them all together.

Just enjoy the dog you have now and leave this dream in the back of your mind until you, as a person, are settled in a way of life and then bring it back out and review it. Good luck!
Hi Well said Five Dog Pam,even with 2 its a struggle,but I take my hat off to you looking after 4dogs do they still have differant temperments because I have BSD and the pup is very needy,but since she has been with us the older one who reallydidnt want cuddles just playtime with a ball,has now decided she wants cuddles and clambers on my lap,then the pup does it,I cant imagine 4 doing that crystalgirl
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
Aha, ohkaayy, then much success with your project *giggle*

by the way, you sure you are seventeen?
you rather sounds like seven
Yep, I'm seventeen.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I have always dreamed of having a dozen chihuahuas but that is all it is a dream, IMO it wouldn't be fair on them to be one of so many, all dogs need some individual time and I couldn't do that with so many.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 10:31 AM
My parents are not wealthy and I don't think I will ever marry someone. Yes, I am 17 years old and haven't finished school. I save money for this dog project and I plan to live quite frugally.

Golden Retriever is the right breed for me and I know they aren't very small dogs.
As someone who is a similar age and also a student, who already owns one dog.. No matter how frugally you live, you will need to live in some very special circumstances to own and care for 9 Golden Retrievers all on your own!

I can imagine that having 9 dogs when they are healthy is enough of a struggle but I hate to imagine how expensive it would become as they got older and develop the inevitable health problems that come with age.

Perhaps saving up for and owning one dog would be a better solution?
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi I've had muliple dogs and had 12 at one point although they were not all mine,they consisted of German sheperds,rotties,border collies and some x-breeds,its hard work and you can have multiple packs with in the main pack,the best advise I can offer is build up to it slowly,maybe foster some for short periods so you can see If you can manage and cope with more than 2/3dogs,you need to make sure none of ypur excisting dogs have behaviour probs and that they all have temperments that can benefit a pack,good luck
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Dreams are fun but maybe rather than having 9 your self (as you could find your self in a situation that you can't cope with and have to re home them) contact other Golden owners and meet up for group walks which are great fun. We've been on group vizsla walks which were great

We have 4 male dogs only one is neutered but they all get along pretty well and we have enough knowledge about dog behavior to keep them all happy.

Just get one Golden and see how you find having her and then find other Goldens and their owners to walk with!

Hope this help

Sophie
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »