Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I think SB's ideas are good too.

It is unreasonable to expect people's dogs never to bark but it is when they bark or howl non-stop for a long while that it can really get to you in my experience.

It sounds like you are being really considerate and he should appreciate that. My Mum is 86 and she gets upset about her neighbours being noisy sometimes (they're not!) but I think she is really upset about my Dad not being there (he died last July) and little things get to her when she is alone with no-one else to talk to.

It is when you are complaining nicely to people and they are totally ignoring your comments-that's when it gets upsetting as in my case with my neighbour's children and them continually up and down outside my house and in my parking space/driveway shouting and screaming, barking at my dogs in their garden or staring into my windows. Fortunately this has now been resolved as after taking some advice I got the police involved (PCSO) and they have taken notice of them.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
It's unreasonable to expect a dog never to make noise. But is he literally just annoyed at the noise or is he also concerned that your dog is obviously distressed? I got irate at a neighbours dog howling for 8 hours a day but I was more concerned about the poor dog than I was about the noise!

Obviously you can't stay home 24/7 and your other dogs need walks too. I'd do as Smokeybear suggests, sit down with him and see whether you can work something out.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
what a nightmare! You have a lot more patience than i would have in the situation.. Its a tricky one.

If it is just for when you go to the gym, maybe you could consider getting in a dog walker to take the dogs out for a run, or maybe you could change your gym routine to take the dogs out for a nice long run in the fields? (take up cani-cross!! ^_^) .. just a thought.

Its tricky, trying to keep some people happy is very hard! - you will probably never win.. But your doing well.

I dont know if i would use a kennels every day myself, is there nobody in your area which does dog boarding? So the dog can be kept in someones home, or they come and stay with him in your home?

In Suffolk (and i know some other places) actually have a doggy day care, which is just as the name suggests and a giant indoor dog park in which dogs are not kenneled but instead supervised whilst they play together and generally do what dogs do.

Here is the link to the one we have which is based in rendleham forest suffolk.

http://www.happiathome.co.uk/

A great alternative to keeping the poor guy in kennels, as he will be out and about. (if he gets on with other dogs of course!)

You can also find that some of these doggy day cares if you use them reguarly wont work out much more, (if at all) than keeping them in a kennels. - Just much more stimulating whilst your at work.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:59 PM
How difficult

Have you filmed your dogs when you are out? If she IS howling constantly non stop then that is a big problem
BUT
people can be grumpy and bend the truth a little (I remember the hassles with my neighbours saying my dogs were barking all the time - when really it was 5 mins total per day - and most of that was me getting ready to take them for walks)

I would first check and see what the scale of the problem
- it might be something setting her off that you could move her to a different room or put the radio on so she isnt disturbed

Of course you have to go out!
But if he is right then she is really distressed - although if she slept the whole time while in the kennels then it really dosent sound like she would be howling all day?

I hope you can sort things out
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
If selkie is distressed when you walk the others could you take her with you ? We used a papousse to carry some of our oldies and are looking at prams/push chairs for when Mollie needs a lift.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to say you sound such a thoughtful person and it's lovely to hear how you want to help your neighbour as much as you can. I do think he is being unrealistic about you never ever leaving her on her own, you are obviously doing everything you can to try to help the situation. Good luck and i hope he starts to understand soon. Having lived next door to a howling spaniel for a good chunk of my childhood i kind of understand where he is coming from. (poor spaniel just wanted his daddy to come home, his daddy worked away for a week at a time occasionally). But if she is only doing it when you are not there, and it sounds like you are there alot of the time anyway, i really think he needs to be a bit more reasonable.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Well... Update

Selkie seems to be loving her Kennels... Second day there today and she was much happier when I went to pick her up. The kennel owner said she had been for a potter about his garden and had had a few treats through the day.

Unfortunately Selkie can't really be walked anymore, her bad hips and legs make anything more than a gentle potter about in the garden, or just round the corner for a snoof about the local field a bit too much for her. The other two on the other hand want to go on long rambles and sometimes Kismet and I go racing on the walkydog and bike! But then it's not Kismet and Pharaoh that are the issue, they are both happy, well exercised and are quiet all day. But when we go for a trip to the woods or a race, Selkie can't come too...

So... I took Smokeybear's advice.

I just popped over with a bottle of wine as a peace offering and sat down and had a long chat over a cup of tea. My neighbours are a retired couple, a shouty big man who is always seeming to have a go at somebody over something (it was car parking places and where people but binbags last) and a lovely quiet lady.

It seems they had made some assumptions about me (I have tattoos and a penchant for horror props, I do Halloween every year in a big way) so they had assumed I was badly treating the dogs and wouldn't care about their complaints. They had let themselves get very wound up and distressed and had made up all sorts of stories in their heads about me for the last year and gosiping with other neighbours... What a terrible person imaginary me had become... It seems a bit bizarre though as they have been my neighbours for the last 8 years and I always thought we got along fine... Always said hello over the fence, Christmas cards, I always bring them a bottle of wine back from my holidays and have shared BBQ over the fence before, which is why I was so distressed that I had made him so upset... they even feed Kismet biscuits and asked me to set up a table so she could reach her head over to them for cuddles....

But apparently this was because they thought I was a terrible person?! They had thought I was leaving the dogs every day from 9-6 as they had made assumptions about my work schedule and for some reason they thought I locked Selkie in the hallway which is a very small space. I assured them Selkie has the run of the house, she just prefers the hallway. They didn't think I walked the dogs, as they clearly haven't spotted me taking them out every day... How had I become such a monster in their minds and what must the other neighbours they have gossiped with think of me??? I live in an area that is mostly retired couples home all day.

Sigh...

So, I invited them over.

I have showed them the dogs beds everywhere. I have showed them Kismet's access to the conservatory all day and her bed and toys and told them to pay no attention to her lies that she is not fed and locked in just the garden all the time, or that I beat them with sticks. I demonstrated the terrible screaming is me brushing Selkie, she's such a drama queen! I have showed them where Pharaoh sleeps on my bed and Selkie's three beds in her favourite spots and copious water bowls. I have explained her exercise needs and why she can't always come with us and showed them Kismet with the Bike and pictures of my poor abused dogs at the beach, at the woods and in the fields...

They were very sorry (or at least so they said). They also had no idea I was a teacher! I think they had it in their heads I was some sort of hells angel or tattooist!

After our chat and tour.. I have explained the new plans; Selkie will still go to kennels when I am at work and I will do everything I can to keep her with me or take her to my Mums if I need to go out after 10pm. If I need to be out in the day I have promised it will never be for long. I have given them my mobile number in case of any problems and assured them if there is a problem I can get someone over to the house within an hour. Or in an emergency I have reminded them they do actually have a door key of mine I gave them 5 years ago when I went on holiday so they could sort the alarm!

Lets hope that is the last of it.

I'll keep the thread posted if there is any more! :P
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:53 PM
we get a few dog day care in the kennels i work at.

I would say ask if she can go to a quite area, definatly take own bedding and toys as that will help her settle
bijouinnuendo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh my goodness it's amazing what some peoples imagination can do. Well done on trying to show them what a caring owner you are. Hopefully that should sort it, you never know you could become bosom buddies lol.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I thought it might be something like this; many people do jump to conclusions don't they?

Glad it turned out ok. It must be a weight of your mind, and I bet it is a weight off their too!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >