View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 12:39 AM
both mine are fed in my bedroom (my kitchen is tiny)

although xeva is in her crate to stop her eating the adult food, she will get in go to the edge and sit and wait untill told, same sorta thing for ty (although no crate) in the bedroom, sit, wait, ok they are litterly less than a meter apart and no issue's with either of them, my cats are fed in the hall though so i can close the door and no that my cats are getting to eat there dinner without a gsd getting in there first
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Dogs and cats all wait sitting by me, once dished out I say ''cats'' all dogs move so the 4 cats get fed by the back door then I say ''dogs'' and its then a programmed routine of....'''Mo and Skye'' (dishes get put down together).....''Reah''.....and ''you two''(dishes get put down together) all eat together although Skye's is put nearer to the living room door where I can see her as she is a very slow eater.....none touch each others dishes, each lie down when they have finished.....Reah collects ALL dishes when everyone is done so she can lick them all out 'cus she is starved (not)
Once the cats are finished all the dogs check thier dishes out (as dogs do ) but the cats never leave anything anyway
Fortunately we don't have food issues with these they eat in close proximaty with no food guarding and they do not go near the cats when they are eating either
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Three dishes in the kitchen bandit always finishes first so gets thrown out into the garden one coz he tries and fails to pintch sukis otherwise she just batters him lol and two to do his business its in one end out the other with him
ATD x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Measure out food for each. Put hannah's in bowl on my walking frame. Give command to sit & wait & put down Boyo's. Put Hannah's down with my extenda-hand & give furher wait command keeping extenda-hand between Hannah & food as she knows it will poke her if she goes in too soon. Wait a few seconds & give release command "Well done for waiting". Stand near enough to stop her if she finishes first from pushing him out & having some of his as being bigger he has more & sometimes takes a little longer.
Get cloth & mop up drool where Hannah was waiting.
I could never free feed . One day while I was out Hannah broke into my "dogproof" bins & ate over a weeks worth of food. Hoped it would teach her a lesson but next day she was demanding her normal meal & really upset when she didn't get it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
mine watch me get the food ready, asbo only on two feet as he bounces round the kitchen when they see me pick up the bowls, they run into the living room and go to their "spots" daphni is fed by the tv, and asbo by the sofa.. i like to keep a bit of distance between them just incase.. depending on what mood they are in they will just tuck in... although asbo has a habit of going and seeing what everyone has first then he will eat his. sometimes daphni doesnt want hers straight away, so she lies down by the bowl. she know she only has half and hour though..

the cats are free fed their biscuits, but get a pouch of meat in the morning, they just share the bowl. the dogs cant reach the cat food as its on a table
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
all have their meals together have to wait and sit tili say ok but someone has to be thewre as lola will try and nicked aces
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
When we had a spaniel for a while I would get them both in a sit and wait while I made the food. More for the spaniel as he would just get under feet. I would place both bowls on the floor and release. Spaniel seemed to crunch the food more but also some how eat faster. So I got into the habit of keeping a handful left over and sprinkling them into his bowl. Would keep him out of Cookie's way, otherwise he would share Cookie's food. Watching them both eat out of one bowl without so much as batting an eye lid was very nice though, just to know they weren't bothered.
Kongs would just be filled and given to each dog. Spaniel would empty it where ever he was or depending on mood and what was in it he might take it to his crate Cookie would do the same but to his bed as he didn't have a crate.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I put their food in their bowls on the kitchen top and they all sit and wait patiently. Sometimes Guinness the hoover decides to jump up but he's getting better!!
I used to feed them left to right, no reason, just easier but since Danny attacked Bessie I tend to feed them in different orders every day just so no one thinks they're the boss!
I call out their names as I'm putting the food down and they respond to it. It's quite organised really considering there are 6 of them!! I do stand by though in case Guinness hoovers up anyone elses food!!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I prepare their meals in the utility room [connected to kitchen] then Gemma gets hers by the sink at one end of kitchen, simba gets his the other end of kitchen and flinty gets his in the living room because he doesnt like standing on the tiles in the kitchen.

They are about 6ft apart when being fed as Gemma doesnt like simba being too close to her food, however doesnt mind flint :S
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Outside. Sadie, ripley, piglet and mav. Piglet is the only one slow on picking up on this and tries to muscle in when i put sadies food down but a firm 'no' and she backs off.
They are fed in quick succession, i dont make them wait i just put the bowls down quickly in front of them all within about 3 ft of each other.
Sadie is always the first to finish, followed by ripley, piglet and then mav. They then all clean each others bowls.
Stealing from anothers bowl is not acceptable so they dont try it, and aggression at food time is not allowed as sometimes at shows i have to feed them all in the back of the car.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >