Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Confessions of an Animal Hoarder

Did anyone watch it on DMAX? Eye opening stuff...
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I've been watching it, very sad this week with the girl that was running a "rescue" from her home she really thought she was doing right by the dogs, but the living conditions were horrendous

Jann xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I felt sorry for them both, they meant well but it got out of hand. I know 1 hoarder in real life and I recognised a lot of her in them today. It's so sad, but I'm glad they got help in the end, the people who helped were very kind I think.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Me too The people that helped them both were wonderful; very patient and kind It must be very difficult to deal with a situation like that.
I just hope they all went to no kill shelters.

Did you see it last week?

Jann xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:55 PM
No, I thought I'd caught the first one, will last weeks be repeated? How many have there been?
Yeah, they were very kind. I don't know about the girls dogs, but the feral ones are helped if they can...hopefully all made it.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Last weeks was the first one not sure if they will repeat them, but maybe if you google it, you might be able to watch it on-line
Last week was sad too, one woman with over 200 cats!! she was allowed to keep 85 of them most were very sick with cat flu and/or feline aids so probably PTS
I have set my reminder so i don't miss any of them

Jann xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Aww, that's so sad I'll have a look online, thanks
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I didn't watch it - damn freeview and silly channels!

But I have watched a lot of stuff about them. Some really do mean well by the animals - as you have witnessed - others don't. They get too attached then won't let them go - IMO no longer caring for the animals best interest.

I think the people that hoard cats are the worst though. The cats seem to breed and interbreed and then they get feral, whereas the dog hoarders aren't as bad - don't get me wrong, sometimes they let things get out of hand too.

Do you remember the woman in the news last year I think, she had 200 dogs, she knew all of them by name. Not sure what the conditions were like and I can't find it now.
And then there's this woman - who isn't seen as a hoarder:
http://www.stewpig.com/others/animal...cs/2010/12/02/
And this is a not so very nice story - the writer is an obvious animal hater:
http://socialitelife.com/sweet-crazy...0-cats-11-2010
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 07:34 AM
It happens more than you think. Yesterday the RSPCA liberated 10 dogs, geese, a pony and other animals being kept ankle deep in their own waste in a windowless cellar.
These people had been banned once - which I assume is why they were hiding them. Imagine the terror of being confined in the dark for months?
The judge said they should be prepared to do prison time.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Blimey - I hope they do Claire!
Yeah SLB, some are good and others not. The guy last night called Jack had 45 'blonde' dogs, the majority of whom were feral and interbreeding, they lived outside in a large enclosure. About 20 or so have been rehabilatated, so mostly good. He wanted to cut down, but scared they'd get put to sleep.
The girl was sad too because she had countless dogs and cats, she eventually released them all but her personal pet dog, had the house cleaned and never told her husband about her animal rescue when he got back from Afghanistan!