View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I get LOADS of breed and size prejudice. I have two GSDs.

I often have my friend's GSD, so normally there is me walking my son (8 months so either in pram or backpack), and the three Sheps.

I have some lovely comments from people who see me walk them regularly, but then the people who don't know give me appauled looks (have had one man hurl abuse at me for walking two of "those" dogs with the baby!!!).

I was out with the three of them and the baby the other day, and a bloke was walking towards us on the path, when my three were offlead, and I said that they were fine and stopped and had a chat, and he said that it is an unusual sight to see a woman with a pram and three big dogs lol.

I love it though

I get so protective over my dogs with regards to people's comments though. It really angers me.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm pretty lucky not to have had any comments directly.

I think part of it is where we live - in rural Surrey, where you dont get your "stereotypical" staffy owners, so people dont have that built up prejudice. Staffies are just like any other dog around our village - and actually quite popular!

People always smile at Zulu when we walk past - he walks nicely on the lead and with an unassuming 23 year old female holding the other end of the lead I think people just feel a bit more at ease. Sounds silly but I think his colour also helps - with him being red, and you dont see an awful amount of reds around here anyway, its a point people always pick up on and ask about, and i think it makes him look a bit "softer".

I certainly go out of my way to make sure he steers clear of trouble, and any opportunity I get I always let people come say hello if they want to, and get involved in conversations if they want to know more about him. I can happily say I have converted a few "staffy haters" with Zulu - one of those being my mother who now adores them because she has given them a chance and not just believed all the media hype.

I always give dogs a chance no matter what breed they are. Yes I probably do have some preconceptions about some dogs, but I dont apply it to the entire breed - there are just some that I am more wary of through personal experience - i.e Zulu has been attacked a few times by offlead black labs...could be total coincidence but I'm just a bit more careful around them and Zulu incase he gets uncomfortable - I dont avoid them like the plague and leg it to the other side of the road as some people will do with staffs!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3