Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Which cross breed would you have?

Before all this cross breed designer dog fad started I used to wonder what certain crosses would be like.
I don't really have a problem with people cross breeding if the dogs are healthy and not puppy farmed and if people are stupid enough to pay the prices they ask thats their business.
I think it is sad that a lot of them end up in rescue but, cross breeds have been filling rescues for years.
I am not advocating this and I would NEVER buy one but, if they came up in rescue these are the ones I would like.

A mix of any of these

GWP/wirehaired vizla/slovak/spinone

Irish wolfhound/GSD

There was a wirehaired vizla/GWP up for rescue somewhere a few weeks ago and it was stunning.

There is a golden retriever/rottie cross at many tears rescue and he is lovely. Reminds me of my last dog.

I was wondering if any of you had a cross wish list if they came up in rescue.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 12:32 PM
when I got Kerrie back in 2006, I very nearly didnt have her (there were three I liked) one was a golden retriever x rough collie. He was stunningly beautiful, very big and very strong tho...when I am down by a few dogs, if I ever see this cross again (in rescue) I will not heistate
DollyDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Golden retriever Cocker spaniel Poodle mix ! i think that would be lovely
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I love my crosses - A BC/JRT and a ESS/Lab

The only thing I would change is Louie's working stock roots - however if I did that - he wouldn't be nearly as much "fun" as he is...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Lab x Slovak. I would love to see how they would turn out, both physically and in terms of temperament. A dog with the combined traits of both could potentially be excellent, or on the other hand be a major pain in backside with the worst traits of both. Nice thought anyway!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Before designer dogs came along-mongrels/cross breeds were described as just that.

Unless someone is there when the mating takes place, who is to know what is behind a rescue.

I rescued a mongrel-she was just that a dog of unknown parentage/breed. My vet described her as a GSD x BC-I don't think so she was only knee high & 1 yard long. She was black, tan & white, with a medium coat, huge ears & a medium length coat.

She did have HD & a heart condition though(which according to the believers in hybrid vigour shouldn't have been the case)

What cross would I have-answer none. Mongrel yes as a rescue, but a designer cross no thanks
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a bedlington terrier x whippet It's a very common cross in lurchers but we still didn't pay some of these designer dog prices.

Helen
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:56 PM
If i were to get a cross or mix, i would go to nearest shelter
And let one pick me, why line someones pockets when many dogs & puppies die in shelters
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Pretty much what I have
Small sized collie crosses
I wouldnt go looking for a particular mix because you dont know what bits of the mix you are getting
Just go along to the rescue centre and see who needs to come home with me
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 03:05 PM
There was a dog featured on the American Kerry Blue terrier rescue website that was a cross between a Kerry Blue and an Airedale. They called it a "Kerrydale"! She was beautiful-looked like an Airedale but smoky grey in colour and sort of halfway between the 2 breeds as to size.

I would have loved this dog but very unusual and I would certainly not want to be lining someone's pockets for purposefully breeding such a cross.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >