View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:14 PM
My Easter weekend was spent doing an agility training weekend which including some competition runs. A dog which took a first and second in his two runs... yep he was a rescue dog - along with his littermates who could all hear, he got adopted, he has a great life, and - shock horror...he`s deaf...

Nuff said
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Not sure why you are amazed.. every breeder will follow their own code of ethics.. and as you say it is the breders responsibility .. and it is their responsibilty to do what they feel is best for their pups.
They do what they feel is easier for themselves, they kill the responsibility, that`s what`s best for those breeders as far as they are concerned but it certainly is not what`s best for the pups.

I think it is wonderful that so many find loving homes and live a happy normal life.. but lets not forget many dont, many end up in rescue, and stay there , is that a better life.

If anything deaf dogs tend to be homed quicker, possibly because those of us with the experience to know what we are talking about, [ that deaf dogs are not `more difficult` to live with ], seek them out over hearing dogs by choice, as well as those whose eyes have been opened by our dogs, and nope it`s not just me who deliberately adopts deaf dogs as a matter of choice, it`s everyone who has already learned the easy way that deaf dogs are every bit as much a joy to live with as hearing dogs/

Why do the `kill the deaf pups` brigade not listen to those of us who do choose to always have deaf dogs - it`s not the dogs deafness that`s a problem, it`s the deafness of the humans who base their opinions on nothing but unfounded assumptions which seem to me to be about their lack of confidence in their own dog handling ability rather than any problem a dog might have through it`s lack of hearing - a sense deaf dogs have no concept of in the first place
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Brilliant Patch! I agree whole heartedly! most people who do adopt a deaf dog, will always have deaf dogs.... its an addiction!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't agree with culling deaf pups. Surely they have as much right to life as a hearing pup? Yes, they may be more difficult to rehome (although those with experience have said they are not). I would only agree with culling of pups if they had a defect which would mean they would have no quality of life.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow ok, i know this thread is old, but I think culling deaf puppies is totally unacceptable.

Whilst im sure deaf pups ARE harder to sell, Im sure if I asked ANYONE in my classes if they would take on a deaf pup, most of them would. As others have said, deaf dogs arent harder to train. And there are many many people out there willing to learn about training a deaf dog and putting the time in.

No matter if the pup is deaf or can hear, if the owner isnt right, the pup is just as likely to end up in rescue. The fact that the dog is deaf has nothing to do with it.

And who says they are more likely to land in rescue? Thats utter nonsense.

Sorry, just my opinion. I really cant see any difference between a deaf dog and a dog that can hear. There is no reason whatsoever to cull a deaf dog and it is up to the breeder to find the right home for any of their puppies.

I guess it depends on how well you vet your homes? I have all sorts of people bringing their dogs to my classes and there is a huge majority who dont want to put the time into training, or have got the wrong breed for their lifestyle. May as well cull the whole litter then cos they ALL have the potential to end up in rescue with the wrong owners
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I'd have a deaf pup tomorrow if i could fit one in!!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I was prepeared to deal with oz or snoop being deaf as they are white .. Both turned out ok but once we picked them at 4weeks not much would have stopped me having them..
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I have said this before and will say it again, I never would have thought about a deaf dog before we got Dougal. Now, well it wouldn't bother me if I get another deaf dog! I think to cull puppies cause they don't come up to the breed 'norm' is not on at all and there should be a law against it, just like there was against docking.
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2010, 10:38 PM
My Dalmatian, Poppy is deaf. I've had her since she was 9 weeks old and she's now 7 years old. She has been no harder to train that hearing dogs I've had. You just adapt your words to hand signals. Dogs don't understand human words. They have to learn to associate a word with a behaviour so it's no different to learn to associate a hand signal with a behaviour. In a way it's easier as a deaf dog doesn't have any noise distractions so once you have their attention, it's easier to keep them focused. Poppy has taught me that dogs understand body language more than we think.
Poppy goes off lead on walks, she looks for me often and I only have to move my head or nod in a direction and she'll understand that I mean that's the way we're going next. Most people wouldn't even notice a lot of the subtle little head movements and finger points we use.
I love the fact that once we're home from a walk and she's settled down for a sleep, she's not going to be woken by noise. We had my mums and dads Lab x Springer for a week while they went on holiday and it seemed like she was up and barking at every slightest little noise. Deafness can actually be an advantage!
I would definitely have another deaf dog. Any Dalmatian breeders reading that can't bring themselves to pts a pup just because it can't hear, I can keep a secret
vwalling
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Wanted to show a photo of Cody Bear who I fostered as she was on death row as a pup as she was deaf and had OCD so wasn't 'profitable' but I cant get it to post.
I found her the best ever family and now she lives in the scottish hills, does agility and lives a brill life with two other high energy collies.
I have very little time for breeders at the best of times but if people breed animals they should take on the welfare of ALL pups not just the ones they can sell for money. Most pups who don't turn a profit end up in rescues if they are lucky as most ethical vets now will not kill a pup cos it can't hear.
As Ghandi said 'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated' how true.
Page 6 of 27 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »