View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well Dougal is as deaf as a post and he gets along just fine. I always tell people who say 'aw what a shame'. He doesn't realise he's deaf, he thinks he's normal and we sign to him when he's good or bad.

Nothing wrong with deaf dogs and culling puppies just cause they are deaf is wrong imo
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I was reading replies on another forum about someone with a deaf pup and quite a few breeders on there said that if they had deaf pups they would PTS not sell them.

This really shocked me as I thought this type of attitude was dead and buried.

Can't a deaf puppy not live a perfectly happy full life? Obviously they would need an understanding and patient home who could put in what i imagine would be quite a lot of extra work on top of the normal puppy training and learning.

If you are a breeder of dogs who are perhaps more suseptable to deafness would you cull your deaf pups? If so what would your reasoning be?

Wouldn't it be better to just never breeder from those parents again?

What are peoples views on this?

this is soo sad.
me dads a vet . he has this slightly strange but nice tendency to take in the unfortunate animals that are wanted to be PTS FOR NO GOOD REASON!!
like poor old joejoe

i knew a blind dog- he got along fine. he needs to be looked after more, and probably needs more care than most BC's but he do's ok, and i wouldnt say his life isnt living!

if any breeder says that i would definitely boycott them off any list i had of dog breeders- they are more about the quality of looks rather than the actual dogs persona.

sad

x
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2009, 11:27 PM
deaf dogs are not so easy to sell if you are a breeder ,there are lots found in the rescue centers and they dont last long, usually put on the short list for destruction, i feel its a responceability for a breeder to put them down.there are far to many dogs in shelters as it is now ...some would say a deaf dog is also a lighability...finding qualified owners who have the patients for deaf dogs , is hard to find...culling the deaf is a practice to enshure good lood lines and we all know it does not sound fair ...but what about that perfectly health dog who is waiting for a new home ....head to hear this im shure but lets step back and look at the big picture ,when it comes to dogs and there populations ,rehoming and rescues ...there are far to many...respectfully ..phil
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
culling the deaf is a practice to enshure good lood lines and we all know it does not sound fair ...
Sorry but that`s rubbish. Breeding carefully, testing to avoid hereditary deafness, and avoiding known deafness-causing colour matches helps ensure good lines, just killing deaf pups born from careless breeding practices does not !

but what about that perfectly health dog who is waiting for a new home ....
Deaf dogs are as healthy as hearing dogs !

head to hear this im shure but lets step back and look at the big picture ,when it comes to dogs and there populations ,rehoming and rescues ...there are far to many...respectfully ..phil
So if you had your way my four deaf rescue dogs would be dead - thank goodness for them and for me that the decision was not yours to make !

Lets clear up some huge misconceptions - deaf dogs are not harder work, most are a lot easier as it happens, less distractions and more natural focus make them easier to train on the whole, they never get any noise phobias, they read other dogs much more accurately from an early age, recall with a deaf dog is a sight more reliable than a hearing dog trained only to voice when there are distractions / distance affecting vocal range of the handler, and there is no transition period for them - or the owner - to adjust to as there is for a hearing dog losing their hearing capacity.

GSDmad there is more than one deaf dog on the agility circuit
When my Defa started competing he and one other were the only deaf dogs I know of on the circuit at the time, but as of a few years ago there were at least 20 of various breeds and mixes and there are far more than than now - agility being a primarily visual cue activity a lot of handlers have cottoned on to how easily deaf dogs can and do take to it and the handlers never have to worry about noises putting the dogs off, like tannoys, barking, see-saw bangs etc etc

IMO breeders should be responsible for a deaf pups natural life time, offing a pup just lets them off the hook, they owe responsibility to every pup they breed, killing any for being deaf is not on, breeders of deaf pups should have been more careful if hereditary deafness is involved and even if not well tough on the breeder, if they are not prepared to care for each and every pup they can`t sell for it`s natural life span they should not be breeding at all, end of. If they did what good ethics dictate then dogs would`nt end up in rescue just because of being `imperfect`.

But perhaps it`s best us deaf dog owners not let on how easy a deaf dog actually is in more ways than a hearing dog or everyone will want one

[ Patch and her 4 current and 1 past deaf dogs who did`nt need a `qualified` home, just one who knows full well that deafness means sometimes a difference here and there but not more difficult in any way ]
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2009, 06:00 AM
disabled people aren't 'put down'
people see if they can move, arent in pain and can enjoy life they deserve to live, whch is totally correct- look at all the paraoylimpic guys (much better than me in everything ) whose to say a dog cant achieve much?

mebbe bad example, but a dog and a human are both living, breathing, working creautures- they both have the right to live even if they just have disabilities...

i have had a disabled dog.
he died early due to his conditions but the times we had together were absoulotely PRICELESS.
he was more work than your average dog.
to keep him walking properly he was on 4 pills a day.
on a whole, he was on 14!
in the end, his disabilities got to much for him, but at the start of his life he got on ok.

i suppose it is just opinion hey
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Personally I see no reason to cull a deaf puppy. I agree that a special home is required, which is really necessary though.

But if a animal is born deaf it still believes it's normal, I used to have a deaf cat (from birth) and had the pleasure of her for 18 years, she didn't see anything wrong in me signalling her....the neighbours thought it funny though.

Slightly off topic, my late Gran owned a rough haired JRT, who was born without eyes....... Not blind, no eyes at all.

Titch lived till she was 17years old on a farm, and although she had no eyes, nothing got passed that dog I can tell you
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Titch lived till she was 17years old on a farm, and although she had no eyes, nothing got passed that dog I can tell you
wow what a little trooper

x
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
deaf dogs are not so easy to sell if you are a breeder ,there are lots found in the rescue centers and they dont last long, usually put on the short list for destruction, i feel its a responceability for a breeder to put them down.there are far to many dogs in shelters as it is now ...some would say a deaf dog is also a lighability...finding qualified owners who have the patients for deaf dogs , is hard to find...culling the deaf is a practice to enshure good lood lines and we all know it does not sound fair ...but what about that perfectly health dog who is waiting for a new home ....head to hear this im shure but lets step back and look at the big picture ,when it comes to dogs and there populations ,rehoming and rescues ...there are far to many...respectfully ..phil
That's assuming that the "breeder" instead of culling takes their deaf pups to a rescue. In either case (IMO) that is one breeder who should be avoided like the plague who clearly takes no responsibility for their own pups, that's shameful.

And how exactly is culling those pups preserving good lines? Surely by continuing to breed from these parents there is a very strong chance of producing more deaf puppies? That just doesn't make sense to me.
These are living breathing beings, how can they be treated as if surplus to requirement.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight
culling the deaf is a practice to enshure good lood lines and we all know it does not sound fair
Sorry, but have to agree with Patch on this..

How can the culling of deaf pups ensure good bloodlines...??

Breeding carefully may hopefully ensure you dont have deaf pups in a litter , but even then it can still happen in some breeds.. but the fact will be or should be that nobody in their right minds would breed from the deaf pup... so cant understands why it would interfere with bloodlines?

Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Sorry but that`s rubbish. Breeding carefully, testing to avoid hereditary deafness, and avoiding known deafness-causing colour matches helps ensure good lines, just killing deaf pups born from careless breeding practices does not !

Deaf dogs are as healthy as hearing dogs !

So if you had your way my four deaf rescue dogs would be dead - thank goodness for them and for me that the decision was not yours to make !

Lets clear up some huge misconceptions - deaf dogs are not harder work, most are a lot easier as it happens, less distractions and more natural focus make them easier to train on the whole, they never get any noise phobias, they read other dogs much more accurately from an early age, recall with a deaf dog is a sight more reliable than a hearing dog trained only to voice when there are distractions / distance affecting vocal range of the handler, and there is no transition period for them - or the owner - to adjust to as there is for a hearing dog losing their hearing capacity.

GSDmad there is more than one deaf dog on the agility circuit
When my Defa started competing he and one other were the only deaf dogs I know of on the circuit at the time, but as of a few years ago there were at least 20 of various breeds and mixes and there are far more than than now - agility being a primarily visual cue activity a lot of handlers have cottoned on to how easily deaf dogs can and do take to it and the handlers never have to worry about noises putting the dogs off, like tannoys, barking, see-saw bangs etc etc

IMO breeders should be responsible for a deaf pups natural life time, offing a pup just lets them off the hook, they owe responsibility to every pup they breed, killing any for being deaf is not on, breeders of deaf pups should have been more careful if hereditary deafness is involved and even if not well tough on the breeder, if they are not prepared to care for each and every pup they can`t sell for it`s natural life span they should not be breeding at all, end of. If they did what good ethics dictate then dogs would`nt end up in rescue just because of being `imperfect`.

But perhaps it`s best us deaf dog owners not let on how easy a deaf dog actually is in more ways than a hearing dog or everyone will want one

[ Patch and her 4 current and 1 past deaf dogs who did`nt need a `qualified` home, just one who knows full well that deafness means sometimes a difference here and there but not more difficult in any way ]

I think (well from my point of view anyway) that it is not a case of whether they are healthier or not, but sadly Patch , there are not enough people willing to take them on... thats why people like you end up with then all

Hence they end up in rescue and are less likely to be re homed....

A blind or deaf dog can lead a good life , just like any other , but it has to have the right home, more so than the average dog...

If they can find homes who are prepared to take them on , and have the patience or experience to cope.. them they deserve as good a life as any, and as your have, can lead a happy normal life.

But from the breeders point of view... I would rather see them take what ever action is needed and deal with their responsibility.. than pass them on to unsuitable homes, where they dont stay , and they then start the life of living in rescue.

In an ideal world all breeders would be able to 1)keep the pups 2) find the correct home.. but sadly life does not always work like that... and in those instances.. I would not judge the actions of the breeder.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't think I would home on a deaf pup unless I was 100% sure of the owners.

I am off to see a deaf dog this afternoon that is Killing chickens. He is 18months and was born deaf, so far he has killed 2 chickens that are free range on a farm 1 mile away

He has been with his present owners for 6 weeks and the owners he was with preiously had him in a cage 12 hours a day. He has learnt to shadow chase and has a few other OCD's. SO far they ahve got him out of chasing shadows under the door - so I am hopeful - they at least seem willing to work with him which is a good thing, but although they seem to know it wil take time I am not sure they fully comprehend how long.

I like to remain hopeful....
Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »