View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:19 PM

What would you do? (updated at post #25)

Some of you may remember, Christmas before last, I found out I had a half brother who I knew nothing about and had never met.
Well we have kept in touch and now his Daughter has invited us to her house for lunch to meet the rest of the family. She is on the other side of Devon to us and we will be away about 8 hrs.
She says " oh you must bring Mo we all love dogs". Then we find out she has a cat, 2 rabbits and a number of Guinnea pigs. Hmmmmm Mo is a Lurcher

Would you
a) Take Mo in the hope that they can shut their animals away somewhere.
b) Leave her home and get someone to call in and check on her.
c) Find someone to have her for the day.
d) Not go.

(I just gotta say d is not really an optician as I am dying to meet everyone )
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:24 PM
If it is possible, I would get someone to have her for the day (wish I was closer) if she would settle with them. The next best option would be to get someone to call in and take her out if possible.
You know your own Mo best, whatever you decide to do will be grand
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Nippy,

It all sounds really exciting. I think, if I were you, I'd try to get someone to pop in and see Mo and sort out her needs, so that you can concentrate on your visit. After all, you have an awful lot of catching up to do.

If you aren't able to get anyone to deal with Mo, then I'd ask if it were sensible to take her (explaining the Lurcher instincts with regard to their animals) and see if they are able to come up with some arrangements that you can enjoy your day, without worrying about Mo and what she's up to.

Whatever you do, enjoy your day. I expect it will be just wonderful to meet all these relations. Best of luck
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I personally wouldn't take her as you won't be able to relax and enjoy your self worrying if she is getting to one of thier animals or one of them walks in on her.
I would try to find someone to have her or get someone in to see to her.
Its only one day it won't hurt her, but its a very important day for you.
Just want to add good luck, I hope all goes well and you have a fab time getting to know them all.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:29 PM
i wouldnt take her tbh - i wouldnt take my dogs in that situ and one would just go to sleep anyhow,,, as you wouldnt be 100% concentrated on your family

mabey get a dog walker in if no-one else can loook after her??? im getting one in in sept and only getting them to cuddle, feed, play and not walk - so you wont have to worry if you do what im planning lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Nippy you say..

She says " oh you must bring Mo we all love dogs". Then we find out she has a cat, 2 rabbits and a number of Guinnea pigs. Hmmmmm Mo is a Lurcher
...so I would contact her and explain that Mo is a Lurcher and ask if the animals are accessible/safely away somewhere or is there anywhere to put Mo like a utility room . Maybe if there is safe parking like on a drive and the weather is suitable you could leave Mo in the car and go backwards and forward to check on her. If she has had a run before you get there she should sleep and be fine .
I think it would be a shame for you to miss this opportunity.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your replies, I wish you were nearer too Lionhound, you would have a job for the day
Thanks CC I think Mo's "Lurcher instincts" are too strong to expect anything but mayhem she goes crazy if a cat comes in the garden She might not settle knowing there was a furry creature in the house. Do Guinea pigs live indoors or out?
You're right MM I wouldn't relax.
I have a friend who just might have her
One G-daughter is at school and the other at college, I'm sure one of them would like a day off
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Suze I think you are right....... a neighbour might do that.
Mini, I just cannot miss this, I must meet them.
I don't really want her left in the car, it's on road parking, although it would be one idea. Hubby could keep going out to walk/cuddle her
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Nippy if Mo is used to being left and you have someone to leave her with that should be ok.

I still think it is worth contacting your niece I had to attend a funeral in Derbyshire a little while ago and I literally had sleepless nights about what I was going to do with Chloe. I was going to my Cousins house and she has a rescue Staff which doesn't like other dogs. When I contacted her the problem was easily resolved, they have a summer house and Cara the Staff went in there while Chloe went with me in the house.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I think b) or c).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >