Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
If you allow your dogs to eat fresh caught wild rabbit do you not worry about the tapeworms in rabbits ?
I expect there's an answer to that question (Perhaps regular worming) OH always insists that we give only cooked food to ours even 'tho we also do regular worming of course.

Personaly I am far less worried about the tapeworms than I am of somehow getting caught up in this badley worded law, oh I'm forgetting I'm not in England at present, phew that's a relief
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
If you worm your dogs it shouldnt be a problem, also, when eating a raw diet your guts work 100x better than when on a cooked diet/kibble etc ... You have plenty of good bacteria in there, i've never heard of it being a problem..worms that is, especially from fresh caught.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
My dog is raw fed (although he doesn't get any fresh wild meat, only because he can't catch it himself), but he can't tolerate any of the tapeworm medication. We've given him every one and he vomits it within minutes.

He gets Advocate every 6 weeks, but it doesn't do tapeworm. So we just have to keep our fingers crossed I guess.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Pharaoh use to catch rabbits all the time when he was little, but the park warden caught me taking one home one day and told me I had to leave them on the field or it was 'poaching'... Poor Pharaoh. I always let him eat what he could on the field though.

Now woth the hunting with dogs law.. It's hard to know what they are allowed to do.. They do chase rabbits still and sort of work together as a pack, but don't catch anything anymore. Pharaoh's getting too old and Selkie was only ever a flusher at best...
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 07:10 PM
My two have started to work together to try to catch rabbits. The staffy flushes them out and Bryan chases them.

They never catch them though
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
With regards to worming on a raw diet, things like Diatomaceous earth, black walnut etc are suppose to be good for parasites of all kinds. Obviously its nature that a percentage of animals die in nature, get ill etc, but most wild animals eat things that get rid of parasites. Its only normally when we intervene with nature that they end up getting things wrong with them.

Neither of my dogs have ever got worms from eating fresh meat, my jackX caught a mouse this morning in the garden and i didnt worry about her eating it, felt more sorry for the little mouse. Least its a sign shes still got it in her though at 14/15.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7