View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-11-2007, 01:57 AM
I had some funny 'plucking' pics with Fingal sat there like - but dad..........
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Awww, that's a shame.

Hopefully one day, my lot wil be quick enough to catch a pheasant (there's plenty of them at the moment )
One of my puppy owners (well she's 4 now) e-mailed me last week to say that her dog had flushed two ducks and then brought a pheasant back to hand! Which the dog duly let go of when asked and the pheasant went rushing off with their 7 month old wondering what had happened!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm a newb to this forum so was surprised when i saw this post. I also thought that there would be a lot of opposition to this but it's refreshing to see that there hasn't been! I would be mortified if one of my dogs caught anything as they're just supposed to point, but the hawks they work with (occasionally) catch game. Im not sure how natural it is, but the hawks instinctively follow in trees above the dog waiting for it to go on point. Both dogs and hawks thoroughly enjoy it, and its lovely to see both animals doing what they do best! I'm surprised to hear of peoples' thriving rabbit populations. Myxomatosis has claimed much of the rabbit population here and so land for flying the birds is hard to come by and has made for a frustating season!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 03:20 PM
There seems to be a serious lack of rabbits round these parts too so they very rarely get the opportunity to chase one.

There is an area close to us which has a heavy population of pheasants and I take both dogs to this area specifically so they can do what comes natural and they can hone their skills. I dont want them to catch anything, I merely want them to hunt and flush.

Now, at this point you may have looked at my "dogs owned" and see that I have a collie! But yes, he hunts very well and on many occassions, flushes out more birds than Flynn. The only thing is, his collie instincts kick in and he then tends to chase them in flight!

We were taking the dogs a lead walk the other night and came across a dying pigeon which was huddled on the pavement. We didnt see what it was at first because it was dark but Flynn knew immediately and proceeded to, with much gusto, pick it up. My other half panicked and went a bit overboard getting the bird out of Flynn's mouth. Jed on the other hand merely sniffed it with nervous curiosity and was happy to move away. I guess thats where the difference between breed purposes comes in. Jed's in it for the chase whereas Flynn wants to actually get hold of the prey.

I'm not entirely convinced that Flynn wouldnt have eaten the bird, in fact, I think he would have done which he of course isnt supposed to do. It was a bit shocking to see him grab the pigeon with such purpose but at the same time, it was also pleasing to know that he has an overpowering natural instinct and would do what is required of him out in the field.
chanley2007
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-12-2007, 12:55 PM
i live about 5 min walk from a brook, great dog walking area!! there are tons of rabbits there. it seemed that alot had mixi this year, dont know if it was down to the warmer weather or something else!! mine has caught loads. he never eats them, just holds them in his mouth!! or he'll let them go to be chased and caught again!! they usally die of shock! is mixi dangerous to dogs??
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2007, 01:50 PM
myxi can't be transmitted to dogs but i still don't like mine going near them.. however, it is doubtful that they would pose a threat to a vaccinated dog!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by chanley2007 View Post
i live about 5 min walk from a brook, great dog walking area!! there are tons of rabbits there. it seemed that alot had mixi this year, dont know if it was down to the warmer weather or something else!! mine has caught loads. he never eats them, just holds them in his mouth!! or he'll let them go to be chased and caught again!! they usally die of shock! is mixi dangerous to dogs??
No its no threat to dogs or any other animal.
chanley2007
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-12-2007, 12:17 PM
cool, cheers dawn!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I'm a newb to this forum so was surprised when i saw this post. I also thought that there would be a lot of opposition to this but it's refreshing to see that there hasn't been! I would be mortified if one of my dogs caught anything as they're just supposed to point, but the hawks they work with (occasionally) catch game. Im not sure how natural it is, but the hawks instinctively follow in trees above the dog waiting for it to go on point. Both dogs and hawks thoroughly enjoy it, and its lovely to see both animals doing what they do best! I'm surprised to hear of peoples' thriving rabbit populations. Myxomatosis has claimed much of the rabbit population here and so land for flying the birds is hard to come by and has made for a frustating season!
I'd love to fly a bird of prey over our field. The one thing I love is watching a bird hunt it's prey out.

Unfortunatly the rabbits are breeding quicker than ever I think, even Myxi isn't dwindling thier numbers

There's nothing better than watching natural predators doing what they do best
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
One of my puppy owners (well she's 4 now) e-mailed me last week to say that her dog had flushed two ducks and then brought a pheasant back to hand! Which the dog duly let go of when asked and the pheasant went rushing off with their 7 month old wondering what had happened!
Sorry, I did have to laugh at that

It's the look of bemusement on thier faces that makes me chortle
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >