Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Working Trials

Does anyone on here do working trials? It's something I'd like to get into, really I just want to show people how versatile the poodle is, although probably it'll end up showing how bad a handler I am lol!
Would love some 'insider' info please.
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Hallo,

I have trained for working trials and competed (once) and I must say it is a wonderful dog sport

It's dominated by BCs, working labs, GSDs but plenty of other dogs - I've seen BSDs, Westies, Staffies, goldens, GSPs, and I know at least one poodle (standard) did compete and was excellent at the tracking although sadly I believe the dog died from bloat.

I have done some training with a local trainer although it's a sport where you can do a lot on your own. I decided I didn't want to compete any more as I am not very happy about the height of the scale for larger dogs (6ft). This is just a personal view and of course many would disagree with me. If the police, RAF, Schutzhund etc use A frames or platforms, why shouldn't the working trials lot, although suggest it and you are likely to get lynched

http://www.workingtrials.co.uk/

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/acti...ng_trials.html

Hth a bit.
I was thrilled when I competed with my girl and we got full marks for the nosework (20/20) and came 3rd overall in the CD. I have a nice yellow rosette and it means a lot to me :smt001 I do enjoy watching dogs use their nose and I still do WTs training for fun including the search square which is my fav. part of the trial.

Good luck

Wys
x
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi ,
I am now hopefully training my collie pup for trials, and hope to start and compete next Spring. I have qualified TDex with a previous dog but that was quite a few years ago. I love to see dogs using their nose,Sorry this is short,but believe it or not I'm off training this morning. PM me if I can be of any help. Jeanette
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info. There is the Wessex Working Trials Club that's not too far away so I'll give them a ring and see when their training days are etc. I just feel I should be out there doing things with the dogs. I really want to promote poodles in a positive light and change peoples opinions that they aren't a poncy dog with a haircut!
I'm hoping to donate a puppy for sniffer work, both with customs and the police and maybe an accelerant detection dog for the fire service too. However, I think those may take a bit more persuading lol!
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 08:50 PM

I believe occasionally the Wessex have had Anne Bussey for a workshop day - if you get a chance to go to one of her days do, they are very informative and interesting

Wys
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for that, it's something I definately want to get into!
Becky
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I have a Wirehaired Pointer who has a tremendous drive to work. Since I dont want to do field trials with him, WT seemed the next best thing to utilise his abilities and drive.

I've made some enquiries with a local club of mine (Hucknall & District Canine Society) and am now waiting for a response. I first learned about WT from Crufts this year and I was totally transfixed and decided it was something I wanted to get into.

One of the guys demonstrating had a Standard Poodle which he had started training and it worked very well. There is a beautiful Standard Poodle in our obedience class and he has changed my opinion of this breed. He moves beautifully as well.

Good luck
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi,
Have you had a look at Workingtrials.co.uk to find your local wt society,

Good Luck

Jeanette
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2008, 01:18 PM
HI there,

we are due to start training with Wakefield DTC and hope to do working trials with our pup. She is is nearly 7 months old.

I did quite a bit of training although never competed with my old Weimaraner who is now 12. She enjoyed it very much and I found it kept her mind working.

One thing is try to get your pup to be interested in picking up anything and everything, all shapes and sizes, as when they do the search square they are presented with all types of things to retrieve....

Good luck and perhaps we can exchange experiences once we start training
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Good luck with your training and most of all enjoy yourself. i have competed at the Wakefield trial many times in the past. my young bitch Sprig will hopefully compete at the end of the year,i have a new rescue bitch pup (yesterda!!!!) 5mths Rubywho started her training today.

Best Wishes to you and your dogs

Jeanette
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >