Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Owning various size dogs

I have a friend who is looking for another dog. The only thing they are worried about is that their current dog is Minature Yorkie and anything too big with it will be too over whelming eg walking, feeding, playing etc

They have considered a collie but thought that maybe it would be too big
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I am not sure a collie would be the right companion for a mini yorkie to be honest. Collies play quite rough and needs lots of exercise, mental and physical.

What does your friend want another dog for? Do they want to *do* something with this dog, or is it mainly a companion for the yorkie? If you find that out it may give an indication of which breed would suit their circumstances
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Why don't they get another Yorkie then they would have the same sort of needs
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 11:34 AM
What about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Its a little bigger but gentle enough for a yorkie.
I have a huge dog and a tiny one and you do have to supervise all play as unintentionally the big one with her weight could do the tiny one a lot of damage.
Depends if your friend has the time to commit to the supervision.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I had Charlie first (colliexspringer) and then got Dusty (mini dachshund) and then Maddy (Weimaraner) and they have all been fine together, I shouldn't see it to be a problem. I know hevvur has tegan, a bullmastiff and a yorkie too.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

I have dogs of various sizes (Staffie x and a Poodle x both of which are rescue dogs)

Their live in Pals are an AB, Dogue De Bordeaux, Olde Tyme Bulldogs and a Bullmastiff my Poodle x really is good at putting new pups/dogs at ease as to regards settling them in sort of helping to 'nurture' them. To us shes like a 'daft old auntie' I cant walk all the dogs together they are usually taken out in two's or three's I couldnt manage all of them together.
I worried about the same things when we introduced our 'bigger' breeds but need not have worried our 'bigger' ones even the pups who are bigger than both the smaller dogs do sort of realise that they are kinda more fragile and have been taught to play nicely - this really is the key if you want it to work
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a midgett Westie x Dandie DInmont n she really is tiny! then have Ralph who is a mid paced gentle giant with a bit of growing left too do!
We used to have a peke with the staffords n dobes n they all got on fine too!
Think only your friend can 'asses this situation'.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 12:14 PM
They just want another dog to keep the Yorkie company whilst it's on it's own for a couple of hours a day.

I'll see what other info I can get out of them to see what breed would suit them
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post
They just want another dog to keep the Yorkie company whilst it's on it's own for a couple of hours a day.

I'll see what other info I can get out of them to see what breed would suit them
I would definitely say NOT a collie then - they need a job to do, to be stimulated, worked and exercised lots and lots, so probably not the ideal companion.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:40 PM
We had a yorkie and a GSD (although the GSD was older - not a puppy when we got her). They got on fine together - loved their walks - although Tinga (GSD) would often get annoyed with Oggie because he had to pee on every blade of grass so she'd go back and get him to hurry him up.

But if your pal wants company for the Yorkie I'd say get a cat instead - Oggie was brought up with cats and I don't think he ever thought of himself as a dog!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >