Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Aww you are more than welcome Gnasher. I found it a really interesting and informative website too

It's got me thinking ... my boys both have GSD and a bit of BC way back in their genes ... I wonder if I could train them to be guardians of the flock! Tai, I think not, he is a sheep chaser, but although Ben has never had the chance or the opportunity, he doesn't seem at all interested in chasing them, so who knows? Seriously, it would be a very interesting experiment. He could wear his muzzle just in case, but his recall is so good now ... Mike called him off chasing a deer the other day ... it should be quite safe for the sheep, or rather the tups. The ewes are pregnant in the village, so we would need to source a friendly farmer with some boys. Wouldn't that be amazing - a wolf cross shepherd dog!

Thanx again Moobli, and give the boy a big soppy hug and kiss from me xx
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Great training session today.

Zak has some instinct but not enough for the type of work/sheep we do/have here, and so my main aim now is to make sure he is 100% solid and safe around our stock. He is certainly showing remarkable self control.

Showing a certain level of instinct

Calm and collected

Gaiting down the opposite side of the flock to me, keeping them in line (we do cheat and have a border collie out as well though)

Picture perfect

Showing his remarkable self control - nose to nose with tups

One inquisitive tup sniffing Zak as though he (the tup) were a dog

Then on to tracking

Hot on the scent

Reward

Sit

Clever boy waiting at the pole for the reward of his ball after his sendaway

Hope you enjoyed!

I had intended to do a search square as well, but as we had already done some sheep work, the boy was quite tired so we had a nice walk with the other dogs instead.

Search square later.

Great pics, clever boy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It's got me thinking ... my boys both have GSD and a bit of BC way back in their genes ... I wonder if I could train them to be guardians of the flock! Tai, I think not, he is a sheep chaser, but although Ben has never had the chance or the opportunity, he doesn't seem at all interested in chasing them, so who knows? Seriously, it would be a very interesting experiment. He could wear his muzzle just in case, but his recall is so good now ... Mike called him off chasing a deer the other day ... it should be quite safe for the sheep, or rather the tups. The ewes are pregnant in the village, so we would need to source a friendly farmer with some boys. Wouldn't that be amazing - a wolf cross shepherd dog!

Thanx again Moobli, and give the boy a big soppy hug and kiss from me xx
It would certainly be an interesting experiment
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Great pics, clever boy.
Thanks Tazer The clever boy has been out for a long walk (in the fog!) this morning with his house mates and is currently snoozing by the fire More training for us this afternoon.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:24 PM
It would certainly be an interesting experiment
My motto is never say never. Ben is extremely intelligent, Tai less so. I would not attempt it with Tai, but Ben, it's a thought definitely worth thinking!

Watch this space!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 03:53 PM
My motto is never say never. Ben is extremely intelligent, Tai less so. I would not attempt it with Tai, but Ben, it's a thought definitely worth thinking!

Watch this space!
Be interesting to see but I imagine its unlikely
The collies herding instinct seems to be fairly easy to loose - like I say my friends dogs came from really good workers but they dont have the drive

American collie people I know who rescue and work their dogs say usually in crosses the 1st thing to be lost is the eye
- although I do know a collie cross JRT with a LOT of eye

I know (found out the hard way) that Mia has some instinct to work sheep - but its on her own, she dosent work WITH people when doing it - she does what she thinks is her job - THEN turns to see what you are up to

Ben likes to make things run so cant see him doing it
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Oh Moobli. That is incredible. What a lovely story, those beautiful pictures told. I am so impressed with the way he has taken to the sheep.. And them to him!!
He looks so beautiful. The self control is outstanding. How trusting they all are. congratulations, to you Both!!
Thanks so much for sharing. (Well done big fella...You did GOOD!) Great pics Moobli. Hugs for Zak, please.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Be interesting to see but I imagine its unlikely
The collies herding instinct seems to be fairly easy to loose - like I say my friends dogs came from really good workers but they dont have the drive

American collie people I know who rescue and work their dogs say usually in crosses the 1st thing to be lost is the eye
- although I do know a collie cross JRT with a LOT of eye

I know (found out the hard way) that Mia has some instinct to work sheep - but its on her own, she dosent work WITH people when doing it - she does what she thinks is her job - THEN turns to see what you are up to

Ben likes to make things run so cant see him doing it
He sure does, but he hasn't got the "killer" instinct (I don't mean literally!) that Tai has, if we were talking about Tai here, I would agree with you 100%. Being serious though, I don't think we have a cat in hell's chance of turning Ben into a BC - would be fun putting him through his paces though, he really is exceptionally intelligent although I say it myself. You never know what latent genes may be lying asleep in that beautiful head!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Oh Moobli. That is incredible. What a lovely story, those beautiful pictures told. I am so impressed with the way he has taken to the sheep.. And them to him!!
He looks so beautiful. The self control is outstanding. How trusting they all are. congratulations, to you Both!!
Thanks so much for sharing. (Well done big fella...You did GOOD!) Great pics Moobli. Hugs for Zak, please.
It's incredible isn't it. I was literally blown away by those photos. He is a 1 in a million dog ...
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2012, 06:51 PM
It's incredible isn't it. I was literally blown away by those photos. He is a 1 in a million dog ...
He certainly is aspecial boy. I remember when he arrived, in the snow. October or november 15th last year. He stood there as though nothing would phase him. He adjusted so well. He was very lucky to find his home. I just love him to bits.
(Well done to mummy Moobli!)
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >