Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Perfectly legal to shoot hare,but this is where it gets a little complex.Because they're classed as ground game they can only be sold when in season,but because they cause crop damage they can be shot anytime of the year.So if you shoot one out of the game season-you cannot sell it.Rabbit is also classed as ground game,but these can be shot and sold anytime due to being a prolific breeder and their numbers need reducing.

Muntjac deer have equally odd regulations.Although covered by the deer act with you needing a minimal rifle calibre (.223) and expanding ammunition-they can be shot anytime of the year because they too are prolific breeders.

Canada geese can be culled anytime of the year,but only with non toxic shot and you cannot sell them full stop!

See,told you it was complex!
Thanx for explaining Steve, it is indeed complicated ... and whoever said the law is an ass was not far wrong!

I am told that Canada geese are inedible because of the very strong fishy taste, but in my youth I ate native wild goose and I have to say it was absolutely delicious. We have loads of muntjac round here, the dogs are always putting them up and we have to be very careful to make sure we watch them very carefully, especially at dusk.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I shall ask this again, anti hunt people - if we raised pheasants here and dispatched them without actually hunting them, would that be ok with you?
Good point, good question. No, I don't think I would be happy with that because pheasants are reasonably good flyers and their natural behaviour is to roam fairly freely. It would be cruel to keep them in an enclosure, because to make such an enclosure large enough and high enough (to prevent them flying away) would be prohibitively expensive.

With chickens (jungle fowl) they were never very good flyers. They can fly, but stay mainly on the ground, only roosting in trees to keep away from ground predators. Although I am absolutely totally against anything other than free range chickens, they do not need a huge area of ground to be kept happy and healthy, and they have adapted very well to "cultivation".
Page 31 of 31 « First < 21 28 29 30 31