View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I won't be having anymore, I used to keep lots of english, nethie dwarves, french/dwarf lops & fancy cavies as bred and exhibited them some time ago and had a fox attack then and lost all bar a few. That was about 10 years ago mind, lost our runners at a similar time but all had been quiet really. We live by lots of open fields and such so tis to be expected, but their behaviour is very bizzare lately.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2012, 06:35 AM
All animals have their place apart from foxes-they're an indiscriminate killer.Unfortunately,if you keep poultry and rabbits etc you will always be a target for them and its only a matter of time before you get hit.I've had my hens all killed several times and it makes no difference how tall fences are because they will still find a way in.

Dont get me wrong,i have every respect for foxes because no other animal can adapt its lifestyle so easily and they *are* a smart animal,but they are also a pest.I shoot several dozen a year around a few farms and i still dont think thats enough.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Oh No, they are a nuisance and indiscriminate killers :
So you want a wild animal to be a discrimate killer and realise that those chickens that are in a pen are not food

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Cheeky toad only came back this evening didn't it, it had a very near miss from a very angry rough collie! I'm deliberating about discussing with the neighbours a trap & shoot job maybe, if it doesn't disappear off soon and keeps being such a problem I don't think it will bode well. Asking around I have got neighbours who've lost poultry, small furries, even seen their cats be attempted at being dragged off (by a pair of foxes though apparently), and so forth. I really hate the bloody things, such a pain!
Kill them all then? We can put a man on the moon but not keep our chickens/rabbits safe?

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
All animals have their place apart from foxes-they're an indiscriminate killer.Unfortunately,if you keep poultry and rabbits etc you will always be a target for them and its only a matter of time before you get hit.I've had my hens all killed several times and it makes no difference how tall fences are because they will still find a way in.

Dont get me wrong,i have every respect for foxes because no other animal can adapt its lifestyle so easily and they *are* a smart animal,but they are also a pest.I shoot several dozen a year around a few farms and i still dont think thats enough.
Again with this expecting foxes (or any other wild animal for that) to discriminate between pets and food - I just dont understand why people think foxes should have a shopping list and only 'shop' at those places we think are acceptable.

You have every respect for them but then say that foxes do not have their place ?
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 05:41 PM
If someone set up a chocolate cake and my favourite crisps in a coop, and I had hungry babies to feed, damn right I'd break in!!!

Wild animals being wild (one of our FEW native species at that) need to be respected and admired for what they are, and their cunning.

If we can't outsmart a fox, then well... Let's face it, maybe it's time to consider industrial strength steel and concrete foundations.

I have to side with the foxes on this one - they're pretty clever (aren't all clever things a bit annoying!!). They're just acting in their best interests.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear that a fox killed your rabbits Luke. I was worried when some fox's put up residence in our road as there are also some old cats around, but to my surprise the cats are still here. I guess some stupid people must be feeding them as they would be hard pressed to find anything else to eat as this is a built up area.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Id trap it Luke. Then get the council or pest service to shoot it. Council should help.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I fail to understand why any human being should be outraged, surprised or upset by foxes killing chooks, pet rabbits, or any other human "pet". Just like all intelligent mammalian species they are struggling to survive, breed and pass on their healthy genes to the next generation. Just like with us humans, if an easy meal comes their way they will jump at the chance. I would not have a problem with Charlie breaking into my hen coop and slaughtering all my beautiful hens. I would not like it, but I would accept it as the pattern of nature, the survival of the fittest. I would learn from the experience and say to myself that I should have better fences, better security, and do something about it.

I love all animals, I hate to kill anything, although I am not a veggie and believe that we need to eat meat to be healthy. I am perfectly prepared to kill an animal to feed myself and my own, I do not mind my dogs killing wildlife because that is natural ... as a human being I personally do not understand anyone killing for pleasure, but to kill to feed oneself and one's family to me is perfectly acceptable. That is all the fox is doing, killing to feed himself and his family. I am not sure that the fox may gain pleasure in killing and go on a seemingly blood-lustful spree and murder a whole chicken coop ... I personally believe that, given the chance, he will come back and remove the carcases to store for future use. But lets take the scenario that the fox IS a vicious killer, murdering just for the pleasure of killing - is this not the same as man going out on pheasant or grouse shoots and blasting away at flushed-up game just for the pleasure of the kill?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I fail to understand why any human being should be outraged, surprised or upset by foxes killing chooks, pet rabbits, or any other human "pet". Just like all intelligent mammalian species they are struggling to survive, breed and pass on their healthy genes to the next generation. Just like with us humans, if an easy meal comes their way they will jump at the chance. I would not have a problem with Charlie breaking into my hen coop and slaughtering all my beautiful hens. I would not like it, but I would accept it as the pattern of nature, the survival of the fittest. I would learn from the experience and say to myself that I should have better fences, better security, and do something about it.

I love all animals, I hate to kill anything, although I am not a veggie and believe that we need to eat meat to be healthy. I am perfectly prepared to kill an animal to feed myself and my own, I do not mind my dogs killing wildlife because that is natural ... as a human being I personally do not understand anyone killing for pleasure, but to kill to feed oneself and one's family to me is perfectly acceptable. That is all the fox is doing, killing to feed himself and his family. I am not sure that the fox may gain pleasure in killing and go on a seemingly blood-lustful spree and murder a whole chicken coop ... I personally believe that, given the chance, he will come back and remove the carcases to store for future use. But lets take the scenario that the fox IS a vicious killer, murdering just for the pleasure of killing - is this not the same as man going out on pheasant or grouse shoots and blasting away at flushed-up game just for the pleasure of the kill?
One of the "not so often" times when I agree with your post
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Foxes are not struggling to survive- that is evident by the sheer number around.

I think people's main problem with foxes is that they don't just kill what they need, they kill everything they can and only take a small proportion of that to eat.

Bringing back fox hunting would be a start.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Foxes are not struggling to survive- that is evident by the sheer number around.

I think people's main problem with foxes is that they don't just kill what they need, they kill everything they can and only take a small proportion of that to eat.

Bringing back fox hunting would be a start.
Totally agree.
Page 3 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »