Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Why do dog owners have to be responsible for their dogs and yet cat owners do not have to be responsible for their cats?

I would never dream of letting my dog sit on a fence to taunt another animals, foul in other peoples gardens or stalk other peoples pets (my rabbits!).

Im having to proof my garden, not to keep MY pet in (as its already sufficient for that) but to keep someone elses OUT! Its mad!

We insist dogs wear ID but theres no laws for cats. I dont see why they should be allowed to roam either....

"My cat would go nuts if you locked him in, he needs to roam" I hear people say. Ive also heard the same about dogs except they are called 'destructive' or with 'behaviour issies' because they want to be out so much.

Sorry, I just dont see it.
As for taunting other animals, I don't hear of many cats killing livestock, unlike dogs. I also don't hear of cats killing other cats and dogs, unlike dogs. I don't hear of cats killing people or mauling children in the local park, unlike dogs. I don't hear of cats winding up/jumping up/chasing children/joggers/cyclists, unlike dogs.

As for fouling in peoples gardens, it isn't ideal, however there are deterrents that can be purchased to ensure that cats do not foul gardens. The same deterrents cannot be used for the irresponsible dog owners who allow their dogs to foul all over the pavements. Most dog turds are a damn sight larger than a cat turd, too. Also, at least cats are discreet about it by usually burying their deposits. I've never stepped on a cat turd, but stepping on an enormous dog sh*t as you are just about to get into your car for work is just a delight in the morning.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
As for taunting other animals, I don't hear of many cats killing livestock, unlike dogs. I also don't hear of cats killing other cats and dogs, unlike dogs. I don't hear of cats killing people or mauling children in the local park, unlike dogs. I don't hear of cats winding up/jumping up/chasing children/joggers/cyclists, unlike dogs.

As for fouling in peoples gardens, it isn't ideal, however there are deterrents that can be purchased to ensure that cats do not foul gardens. The same deterrents cannot be used for the irresponsible dog owners who allow their dogs to foul all over the pavements. Most dog turds are a damn sight larger than a cat turd, too. Also, at least cats are discreet about it by usually burying their deposits. I've never stepped on a cat turd, but stepping on an enormous dog sh*t as you are just about to get into your car for work is just a delight in the morning.
Very good points! Totally agree.

Helen
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Yes, you very much just wrote exactly what I was thinking with regards to the OP.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:57 AM

GOOD POST!!!
Mackie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2012, 11:09 AM
In Australia you can legally shoot cats if they go onto your property.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I actually like cats very much indeed. I had a wonderful little black moggy for 19 years a while back. I don't have any now as my past and current shar-pei would have eaten them. The TM would adore his own kitty cat and tries to make friends with any he meets.

I do tend to like most dog owners much better than most cat owners though. There are quite a few cat hating dog owners, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of dog hating cat owners. These people seem to thing dogs are either fawning slaves or vicious brutes compared to their cats that they project too many human like qualities on to.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Good post.

All domestic animals have good points and not so good points. As animal lovers, we have to accept them
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Good post.

All domestic animals have good points and not so good points. As animal lovers, we have to accept them
Yes - it's interesting to see someone talk about 'dog owners' and 'cat owners' as if they were two different species of people!

I'd always owned dogs AND cats in the past. And rabbits, guinea pigs, tortoise ....

I am an ANIMAL LOVER. Not just a dog lover or a cat lover or a bird lover. I love animals. Also happen to think comparing dogs with cats is like comparing apples with oranges. They are different.

There are reasons why there are so many laws relating to dogs but not cats. Most of those reasons have been mentioned already. An OUT OF CONTROL dog can do a lot more damage than a cat - to people, farm stock, property etc.

I don't often read about cats mauling or killing babies, children, adults, sheep, deer.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
We have several visiting cats or cats that cross our garden so quite often wouldve got more than dog poo. Then i struck on idea of lifting cat poo & in its place put a dog poo. Few times & cats got message
Now that's a good idea! I didn't think of doing that. My neighbour's cat comes in our garden and poos but to be honest I'm more worried as my dogs are not cat friendly. I do survey the scene before I let them out and luckily there is a fenced off area so the dogs can't easily get to the garden without me letting them out, but I came in one night after a walk and this cat was inside the fenced off area!! I didn't see it but the dogs did. It was quite a scene with me wrestling Danny and Guinness to the floor and one I'd like not to repeat. I'll have to try that idea.
As for cats "taunting" my dogs....it's never happened. I find that most cats scarper when they see my dogs! And to be honest I'd prefer it if they sat still. When they do, my dogs don't see them...it's only when they run my dogs go nuts.
Also...I think more needs to be done to control irresponsible DOG owners rather than cats and their owners! Cats are cats...free spirits. And I agree that roaming dogs are far more of a risk than roaming cats. I love cats and would dearly love one but I can't for obvious reasons!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 02:45 PM
cats even though they are classed as pets, are stilll a rather wild independent animal. they dont need their human to survive and they know it, everything is on the cats terms, they arent like dogs who do what their owner wants because they said so.

as for saying "my cat would go mad if it wasnt let out" this is definitely true for one of mine. she has to be out and about. if she has to be shut in she goes insane.. she meows consistently (she will do it for hours) she scratches at the doors, the sofa, the carpets, she runs up and down the stairs, and if shes kept in for too long, she will bully our other cat and get very narky with the dogs and us humans..

i am wrong for thinking of her mental wellbeing and health just because she may catch a bird or sit on someones fence? dont think so!
my cats arent stupid, they know what gardens to go in, and which to steer clear of, because theyve been shooed out of ones they arent welcome in.
as for them catching a bird, its nature.. its going to happen. mine have caught birds and rabbits, nothing i can do about it.

collars! got no chance of even getting one on ginger cat. she used to have them but she would lose them within a couple of days and didnt fancy risking her getting stuck on something. now she wont even let you put anything round her neck.

i love my cats to pieces
Page 5 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »