Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:52 AM

Why do cat owners get off lightly?

Why do dog owners have to be responsible for their dogs and yet cat owners do not have to be responsible for their cats?

I would never dream of letting my dog sit on a fence to taunt another animals, foul in other peoples gardens or stalk other peoples pets (my rabbits!).

Im having to proof my garden, not to keep MY pet in (as its already sufficient for that) but to keep someone elses OUT! Its mad!

We insist dogs wear ID but theres no laws for cats. I dont see why they should be allowed to roam either....

"My cat would go nuts if you locked him in, he needs to roam" I hear people say. Ive also heard the same about dogs except they are called 'destructive' or with 'behaviour issies' because they want to be out so much.

Sorry, I just dont see it.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2012, 06:22 AM
and they can poo and wee anywhere, and they sould all wear i.d. collars-- WITH BELLS. so that the birds can hear them. they kill millions of birds a year. and the R S P B ask us to look after the birds, "because of their declining numbers, and climate change!"
ps (what makes you think i like Dogs better than cats?)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Sorry but I would be one of those that say...'some' cats roam well I would do I have 5.

But if you think logically dogs if roaming could attack someone and do alot of damage, or if they were roaming after a bitch in season there tends to be more than one dog following that bitch. I remember well coming home from school with my mate on day and we saw a bitch on heat with several dogs, the bitch looked in a awful state after they had been around her, so my friend decided in her wisedom to intervene. that was a big mistake...she got badly bitten A dog running in the road can cause more damage than a cat could both to the car and driver that hit/swerved to hit it.
I realize that sitting on your fence tormenting your dog is annoying or pooping in your garden..........but alot less annoying than if a stray dog got in your garden and had a fight with your dog, or an accidental mating

Use a water pistol....cats don't like water.

Thankfully mine don't stray into other peoples garden but we have cats come into ours/on our shed roof.

Cats are deemed as wild by law, and its sad about the birds I know but for those caught many are not, and if it wasn't for cats there would be alot more rats and mice too.

As you see I like cats as much as dogs
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2012, 06:41 AM

Well this is going to go really well.
And outside cats shouldn't really wear collars as its a massive hanging risk, and it's interesting how even the CPL discourages the notion of house cats (was told by numerous representatives they see it as cruel)
If you don't own a cat you just won't understand, they are very much a wild pet and that won't ever change. If you don't like it there's simple ways around it, starting a thread souly to start a witch hunt and drag every anti cat person out to complain is a really good way of going about it though so well done.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Sorry but I would be one of those that say...'some' cats roam well I would do I have 5.

But if you think logically dogs if roaming could attack someone and do alot of damage, or if they were roaming after a bitch in season there tends to be more than one dog following that bitch. I remember well coming home from school with my mate on day and we saw a bitch on heat with several dogs, the bitch looked in a awful state after they had been around her, so my friend decided in her wisedom to intervene. that was a big mistake...she got badly bitten A dog running in the road can cause more damage than a cat could both to the car and driver that hit/swerved to hit it.
I realize that sitting on your fence tormenting your dog is annoying or pooping in your garden..........but alot less annoying than if a stray dog got in your garden and had a fight with your dog, or an accidental mating

Thankfully mine don't stray into other peoples garden but we have cats come into ours/on our shed roof.

Cats are deemed as wild by law, and its sad about the birds I know but for those caught many are not, and if it wasn't for cats there would be alot more rats and mice too.

NICE ONE Stevie. i dont hate any animal. in fact last year, i managed to get Jeager to touch noses with one.. for the first time ever. i was so proud of them both, and i have taught him to freeze when he spots one, so that helped too.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Thats good JB Jeager did well there.

Mine don't chase cats and people say Oh! thats cuz you have cats....nothing of the sort they would chase stray cats if they were allowed, but they know thats a no no, and because they don't chase/bark/jump at them the stray cats that come into the garden usually disappear after a little while
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Spot on I have just started letting 2 of my cats out (after 6 years!!) because of the stress they have been under due to Ranger coming into the house. They are in their element. Rolling on the slabs, eating grass, lying in the sun. And I now feel very guilty for not having let them out before Cats have not been domesticated in the same way dogs have, it's not possible imo, as the old saying goes, dogs come when called, cats take a message and get back to you later

I don't like other cats coming into my garden either, but I just chase them off, bin their poo and be done with it.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
:roll;
Well this is going to go really well.
And outside cats shouldn't really wear collars as its a massive hanging risk, and it's interesting how even the CPL discourages the notion of house cats (was told by numerous representatives they see it as cruel)
If you don't own a cat you just won't understand, they are very much a wild pet and that won't ever change. If you don't like it there's simple ways around it, starting a thread souly to start a witch hunt and drag every anti cat person out to complain is a really good way of going about it though so well done.
Good post & youre right, this thread is a witch hunt but then, that is the intention, to get folk riled up. Theres been other similar threads here on Dogsey. Cat v dog

I think what makes it worse is such posters more often than not claim to be animal lovers........
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Nowt wrong with cats. Love to see 'em out and about
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Thats good JB Jeager did well there.

Mine don't chase cats and people say Oh! thats cuz you have cats....nothing of the sort they would chase stray cats if they were allowed, but they know thats a no no, and because they don't chase/bark/jump at them the stray cats that come into the garden usually disappear after a little while
Ours dont either & rubbish to say its because you have cats. Our dogs had never lived with cats & where 4 & 5 years respectively when our first kitten came. They used to get worried & upset when the kittens disappeared out of sight but now accept it. Doesnt stop the dogs still on odd occasion, going to 'look' for their cats.
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »