Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by gordon lover
Why shocking? IMO (and experience), its all training. Those dogs are more safe to be around than most you'll meet on a walk.

Great movie.
I agree with you but the 1 that bites it's handler isn't so safe
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Russ
I agree with you but the 1 that bites it's handler isn't so safe
never seen one that bites itīs handler and i have seen a few
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 08:16 PM
there was a shorthaired type belgian in a kennels local to me after biting the hander.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Its brilliant to see the dogs working but I did not like the way the dog was treated half way through the video
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by BorderCollieLvr
there was a shorthaired type belgian in a kennels local to me after biting the hander.
you canīt discuss something like that without knowing the full story those dogs are trained and trained well they are trained to be obedient not to attack people they are trained to protect i had two they were marvelous with children and family and strangers no problem what so ever they had a wonderfull character everybody loved them who knew them.
A trained dog doesnīt mean an agressive dog.

Fred
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
Watch the clip again it happens about 1/2 way through.
In a situation like that i would expect the dogs to be highly charged
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Somebody showed me this video before, cant rem who brill stuff, the dogs are amazing
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
Its brilliant to see the dogs working but I did not like the way the dog was treated half way through the video
I think the bit you didn't like is when the handler tries to get the dog off his own arm

As far as i'm aware these are French special forces, some pretty serious sh*t
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Russ
I think the bit you didn't like is when the handler tries to get the dog off his own arm

As far as i'm aware these are French special forces, some pretty serious sh*t
thats the bit Russ

Any ideas why their faces are covered up?
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
Fred, have you only worked GSDs? If so, that may be the reason you've never seen a dog that comes 'back up the lead' at the handler. Malinois are notorious for that kind of behaviour, and IMO the breed is only suitable for extremely experienced handlers. They are very good protection dogs, but their drive is so high they can lapse into a sort of berserka mode. Malinois's the only breed I personally wouldn't ever handle. They're certainly not for the uninitiated!

Nat, it may well have been me who sent you that video quite recently

Carole, they are French Special Forces and their faces are covered up with balaclavas as they are training 'environmental work' in that video. In a real life situation the forces would be in this kind of uniform, complete with balaclava, so they must get the dog used to seeing, and responding, with them wearing this gear. Malinois have a tendency to become aggressive when spooked, which is no use to anyone in a real life situation.

With regard to the physical handling of the dog - yes it seems harsh to pet-owners, but the dogs aren't intentionally injured during training (or real life work). Accidents can, and do, happen to a working dog, but no good handler would deliberately hurt his dog.

Dogs are exposed to a variety of situations. In real life, criminals can, and do, get extremely aggressive with dogs sent after them. These are 'professional' dogs, they are expected to work to a certain level, and that includes tackling people while still inside vehicles, and maintaining a grip on a criminal who is fighting back with everything he has. When the dog turns on his handler, it is because he is in extremely high drive mode - I don't know of a single mal handler who isn't routinely in A&E for stitches - the breed is not designed to make a decent pet dog, and even highly trained they bite handlers.

Hope some of this helps.

Becs
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »