Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:46 PM

I have a fox problem

I have kept chickens, ducks and turkeys for about ten years now, in that time i have only lost a couple of hens, but this last week i have lost two of my old girls

I must have a fox around i found a scattering of feathers this morning, I feel so guilty when i shut them up last night i couldn't find her, i thought she had gone broody and found herself a quiet spot, she was a big old girl {Brahma } i am amazed a fox could have carried her over the fence into the field {that's where i found the feathers}

And then tonight just as i was going out to shut the chucks up, I heard them go off, Bruce was with me i sent him on ahead, he thought there was something around and i saw some movement in the crop {field} the other side of the fence. but at least they all are locked up tonight safely

This is Mr & Mrs Bloomers {Brahma's}

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2011, 11:21 PM
To be honest-if you keep poultry-you've got to expect a visit from Charlie (fox).I myself keep hens and have been raided twice now,but its an occupational hazzard im afraid.

You can try fox proofing your garden,but they're very smart and adaptable creatures so will try to overcome obstacles like tall fences.I have 7ft fences and it can climb mine like its a knee high picket fence! Also,these old wives tales about mens/dogs urine sprayed around your boundary are just that and dont work.

So,you have several options.Either lock your hens away at night,make it harder for foxes to enter your garden or shoot/trap them.Culling foxes though is an ongoing excercise because in any area you will have 1 dog and 1 vixen.When you remove one or both-another/pair will move into the area so like i said its an ongoing exercise.Farmers ask me to shoot foxes on their land (because of their game shoots) and i do it all year round due to more moving into area afterwards.

My tuppence worth-remember to lock the hens away at night and make it harder for them to get into your garden.Foxes do sometimes hunt during the day so be careful!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Sorry to hear you lost one of your hens. It may have been a fox, but also stoat, weasel, mink or even a domestic dog or cat could be in the frame. I think the best plan is to always make sure your hens are shut up overnight and, as Steve said, try to make it more difficult for predator to enter your garden.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I found that foxes don't like wobbly fences at the top.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:36 AM
My son had the same problem 18 months back one was taken but Mr Fox killed and maimed 4 others all he could do was shut them away and he reinforced the pen and top, seems to have worked as none has suffered the fate of the others since
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Many years ago, all ten of my hens were killed by a small terrier from a nearby housing estate. My neighbour very kindly cleared up most of the mess before I got home.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Set a live trap, if its a fox you can catch it and have it shot. You can rent them or contact a pest controller.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Set a live trap, if its a fox you can catch it and have it shot. You can rent them or contact a pest controller.
i was going to say this...
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Disagree totally with the killing idea ... the fox is trying to survive, the same as every living thing on the planet, and who can blame him for targetting an easy meal?

We had a large pond with about 6 pairs of assorted waterfowl living in and around it. It was enclosed with a tennis court-type wire fence about 5 foot high with an electric fence wire running along the top about 6" above. The control box was outside the perimeter fence, so you just switched it off before entering through the gate to feed them, clean out the nesting boxes etc., and then just turned it on again after leaving. It was run from a car battery, so did not cost an arm and a leg and we never lost any ducks to Reynard.

No need to kill anything ... just out-fox the fox LOL!!
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
To be honest-if you keep poultry-you've got to expect a visit from Charlie (fox).I myself keep hens and have been raided twice now,but its an occupational hazzard im afraid.

You can try fox proofing your garden,but they're very smart and adaptable creatures so will try to overcome obstacles like tall fences.I have 7ft fences and it can climb mine like its a knee high picket fence! Also,these old wives tales about mens/dogs urine sprayed around your boundary are just that and dont work.

So,you have several options.Either lock your hens away at night,make it harder for foxes to enter your garden or shoot/trap them.Culling foxes though is an ongoing excercise because in any area you will have 1 dog and 1 vixen.When you remove one or both-another/pair will move into the area so like i said its an ongoing exercise.Farmers ask me to shoot foxes on their land (because of their game shoots) and i do it all year round due to more moving into area afterwards.

My tuppence worth-remember to lock the hens away at night and make it harder for them to get into your garden.Foxes do sometimes hunt during the day so be careful!
Thanks Steve, I do lock my chucks up at night, she disappeared before shutting up time, so i thought she had sneaked off to be broody, i know it's what happens when you keep chucks, it just really upsets me

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry to hear you lost one of your hens. It may have been a fox, but also stoat, weasel, mink or even a domestic dog or cat could be in the frame. I think the best plan is to always make sure your hens are shut up overnight and, as Steve said, try to make it more difficult for predator to enter your garden.
Thanks Moobli, true it maybe something other than a fox, i was just so shocked because how big she was,

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I found that foxes don't like wobbly fences at the top.
Thanks moetmum, it is amazing just how high they will climb

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
My son had the same problem 18 months back one was taken but Mr Fox killed and maimed 4 others all he could do was shut them away and he reinforced the pen and top, seems to have worked as none has suffered the fate of the others since
I suppose it's something i have to live with as during the daytime, i prefer them to be free range and enjoying the grass etc

Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Many years ago, all ten of my hens were killed by a small terrier from a nearby housing estate. My neighbour very kindly cleared up most of the mess before I got home.
Oh there was only a few feathers left here Fivedogpam

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i was going to say this...
Sorry Borderdawn & x-clo-x I cannot justify killing anything, animals normally come here for our protection & care

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Disagree totally with the killing idea ... the fox is trying to survive, the same as every living thing on the planet, and who can blame him for targetting an easy meal?

We had a large pond with about 6 pairs of assorted waterfowl living in and around it. It was enclosed with a tennis court-type wire fence about 5 foot high with an electric fence wire running along the top about 6" above. The control box was outside the perimeter fence, so you just switched it off before entering through the gate to feed them, clean out the nesting boxes etc., and then just turned it on again after leaving. It was run from a car battery, so did not cost an arm and a leg and we never lost any ducks to Reynard.

No need to kill anything ... just out-fox the fox LOL!!
I agree Gnasher, i'm certainly not heading off with a 12 bore, there is to much killing in this world
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »