Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thing that strikes me is that people KNOW it was him as he was seen on the road, yet nobody saw the animal removed? Weird that, you'd think all these "do gooders" would wait in anticipation for those responsible for this "terrible" act, or was it? Not in my book, but how come people are asking who did it, yet they are sure they did? You cant leave a beast on the road like that, already had been gralloched and bled, surely somebody saw the hunter responsible?
The news programme tonight did say that a van was seen being loaded with the stag, but they didn't know whose van it was.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I was totally disgusted to hear this, in the middle of the rutting season too. Cowardly men with big guns.

He was probably an attraction to the area too, I hope some of his offspring manage to reach maturity. It's all about money these days.

I know who I would like to shoot! We used to have big herds here too but I hardly ever see deer when I am out with the dogs now.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I dont think for one moment whoever shot him did it for the good of the herd, he did it to stick it on the wall so as all his friends can admire what an amazing guy he is!!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Taken from Borderdawn's post
He was also spared probable damage from other younger stags in the future who may well of injured him seriously or worse.

If this was the true reason for the shooting of this stag then why is this "luxury" and kindness not afforded to all the older stags in herds throughout this country. The younger ones would have it easier and not have to work so hard to prove themselves before being able to mate if this were the case. I believe this is flawed thinking, a mistake and would be a detrimental interference.
I think I take the view that the struggle of battle during the rut is essential and the strongest male eventually being deposed and driven out (sometimes killed) by a younger stronger stag in this process actually helps ensure the health and strength of the herd in the true sense of things. Its not a sentimental view, but it is the natural order of things.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

No nor me. I find it far too upsetting that "animal lovers" find joy, entertainment, satisfaction from killing any animal.
Agree.

Very sad if he was in his prime.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Taken from Borderdawn's post
He was also spared probable damage from other younger stags in the future who may well of injured him seriously or worse.

If this was the true reason for the shooting of this stag then why is this "luxury" and kindness not afforded to all the older stags in herds throughout this country.
It is, they cull by us most years, "spikers" or "knobbers" as they are known do awful damage to others, we saw a mature female speared by one, they dont do it intentionally, they do it "practicing" for later on. Older stags are left for many years to dominate and rule, but there comes a time when they become too many of one animals offspring, when that time comes they need culling.

The younger ones would have it easier and not have to work so hard to prove themselves before being able to mate if this were the case.
See above.

I believe this is flawed thinking, a mistake and would be a detrimental interference.
I think I take the view that the struggle of battle during the rut is essential and the strongest male eventually being deposed and driven out (sometimes killed) by a younger stronger stag in this process actually helps ensure the health and strength of the herd in the true sense of things. Its not a sentimental view, but it is the natural order of things.
Then this Stag was saved from this probable awful death wasnt he, he was killed cleanly and efficiently, far better than being left to die of awful injuries for sometimes what amounts to weeks on end.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I was totally disgusted to hear this, in the middle of the rutting season too. Cowardly men with big guns.

He was probably an attraction to the area too, I hope some of his offspring manage to reach maturity. It's all about money these days.

I know who I would like to shoot! We used to have big herds here too but I hardly ever see deer when I am out with the dogs now.
Red Deer are in epidemic numbers now throughout the country, much culling is being done, also the none native Sika Deer is infecting the Red with its genes, producing "crossbreeds." To many, they are the same, what may appear to be a red killed, may well be a Sika.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Agree.

Very sad if he was in his prime.
Id agree Tassle if he was, but he was at least 12yrs old, that is considered an old animal for one in the wild. They can live a few years longer in captivity.

In studies, particularly on the Isle of Rum, one of the stronghold for "pure" Red Deer, they proved that from 10yrs onwards they were significantly less fertile and often sterile. that being the case, the "Emperor" may not have been much "use" to his girls at all, and certainly not the species as a whole.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 10:06 PM
There is something not sitting right for me about the killing of the stag Emperor. I am cynical and suspicious and wonder if this stag was killed (not culled) for reasons not entirely to do with his welfare and/or the benefit of the herd. This animal was a trophy animal (the largest in Britain) and I strongly suspect he was "sold" to the person who killed him. I also believe the animal had been earmarked or reserved for this person who waited until he was of an age where he was allowed to take him. From what has been reported, he was far from being too old and in need of being disposed of for his own good.
It is being reported that hunters from Britain and abroad are paying large sums of money so that they can hunt stags on Exmoor. That makes it a blood sport when stags are killed - not always a cull.
It's also interesting to note the difference in terminology used on the island of Rum. There they say that the hinds are "culled", whilst the stags are "harvested". To me this means that the stags have an added value or a premium. People will pay to hunt the stags and, therefore, the land owners and managers regard them as a harvest to be taken - this is a bit different from just a practical culling.
The other thing I would mention is that Percy, a stag on Rum was a 14 years old - why was he not culled or harvested if ALL older stags are supposed to be disposed of when they reach a certain age.

Taken From Borderdawn's post
Then this Stag was saved from this probable awful death wasnt he, he was killed cleanly and efficiently, far better than being left to die of awful injuries for sometimes what amounts to weeks on end.

It is not certain at all that this animal would have had an awful death Borderdawn - he could have been taken when he was actually well past his prime and struggling. From what has been reported he was far from that stage. I cannot help but be suspicious of the motives behind this kill.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
There is something not sitting right for me about the killing of the stag Emperor. I am cynical and suspicious and wonder if this stag was killed (not culled) for reasons not entirely to do with his welfare and/or the benefit of the herd.
I doubt it, but by nature, we are all suspicious.

This animal was a trophy animal (the largest in Britain) and I strongly suspect he was "sold" to the person who killed him.[/QUOTE] Apparently he wasnt the biggest at all, I know that a few people have all said there are plenty as big and bigger, but people dont give them names and draw attention to them.

I also believe the animal had been earmarked or reserved for this person who waited until he was of an age where he was allowed to take him.
What, seriously? Why wait 12yrs, when you can get another the same any year?

From what has been reported, he was far from being too old and in need of being disposed of for his own good.
It is being reported that hunters from Britain and abroad are paying large sums of money so that they can hunt stags on Exmoor.
Thats been going on for years, its perfectly legal when a cull is required. He was at least 12yrs old, studies show from 10yrs they are significantly less fertile, and that is proof not propaganda, with this in mind, those that manage the Deer may have seen his decline, when all the public have seen is a Deer they gave a name to, shot.

That makes it a blood sport when stags are killed - not always a cull.
In your opinion.

It's also interesting to note the difference in terminology used on the island of Rum. There they say that the hinds are "culled", whilst the stags are "harvested". To me this means that the stags have an added value or a premium. People will pay to hunt the stags and, therefore, the land owners and managers regard them as a harvest to be taken - this is a bit different from just a practical culling.
The other thing I would mention is that Percy, a stag on Rum was a 14 years old - why was he not culled or harvested if ALL older stags are supposed to be disposed of when they reach a certain age.
Although the species is the same, the Deer on Rum HAVE to be managed in a specific way, the Isle doesnt support the same expanse as Exmoor.

It is not certain at all that this animal would have had an awful death Borderdawn - he could have been taken when he was actually well past his prime and struggling. From what has been reported he was far from that stage. I cannot help but be suspicious of the motives behind this kill.
Ahh, ok, leave him till he is injured, starving and dying, then kill him, sounds great!
Page 3 of 51 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »