07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t believe it. Sorry.
Still dont believe it?
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
oh! right thanks I never saw that because I posted this in Rural talk.
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I leave my back door open in warm weather when I am in the house and I live in urban south London- and so do mos people round here. It only backs on to other gardens, why wouldnt I leave it open? Rats and mice find other ways to come in anyway, I don't think they are waiting for an open door.
We have had the odd fox in the garden, but once they know about Clifford they don't come back!
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I sort of agree with you, although when you look at Britain as a whole, there is still far more undeveloped land than there is urban (and long may that continue!)

I think its really about foxes being opportunists - many have learnt that city living (i.e. scavanging) can actually be easier than having to hunt for your dinner!

Who knows, perhaps foxes are going through the same evolutionary process that dogs did all those years ago. Some will become friendly and tame - those that won't live peacefully with us will be destroyed or forced out, so foxes could eventually become domesticated!
What an interesting concept.

I have to agree that Urban Foxes are definitely very bold, recently I have noticed many in public places during the day and at close proximity to people, I have lived in this area for over 20 years, it used to be a rare site to see a fox in daylight hours, not any more, it is not uncommon for me to see as many as 4 foxes in one day, they used to run at the sight of people, but now most likely just stand still and watch. So yes, I do believe the report, although find it very bizarre.

I wish the family well, and hope their little girls make a full and complete recovey
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Must say I found it hard to believe too. And by the sound of it they knew there were foxes around so why not be cautious and shut windows/doors - if not for the foxes but for thieves :- /

Animals are animals - I wouldn't leave my own pets with a small child and I'm fairly sure they wouldn't do any harm, let alone leave a door or window open when I knew there were wild animals around. They're not called cunning foxes for nuffink
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Still dont believe it?
I`ll believe it when saliva from the wounds has been analysed and found to be from a fox. I assume this will happen.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
very sad that the wee girls have been hurt, but I think like someone else has commented that its something that could happen if you do have urban foxes etc.
After all whats the difference between leaving your door open and a dog or cat coming in?? Its an animal, an open door and an opportunity to explore.

Urban foxes are very brave and we have made them so, by our rubbish containers lying round, food on the streets etc and building in what once was countryside.

We have foxes on our street during the day here, quite often sunbathing in gardens and walking up the street - and they are quite brazen.

I do leave my back door open, but know that Bruno pretty much prevents anything from coming in our garden - he defiently chases foxes at night that tunnel under the fence - they may have come in our house without my knowledge but they wont get past the dog.

Its something to think about though.
As an aside my mum and dad currently have a mum with cubs in their garden and they are the cutest little family, we have been watching them up at hers after dinner some nights and its lovely to see wildlife up close.

We have to accept that wildlife exists and thats its much more common now to see these animals.

What do they do in Oz, US and Europe - their are loads of wild animals that could be dangerous - I think we are just a little oblivious in the UK to possible dangers of "wild" animals.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't see why people shouldn't be able to keep open their doors and windows, I've had my living room and bedroom windows open for 4 days and nights now without shutting them at any point.

I think another thing to think about though is that urban foxes do go associate different things to do with humans, like beens with food, so are getting closer to people, we want and need wild animals to have a healthy fear, and we need to respect them as being wild, if that changes then accidents will happen.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ll believe it when saliva from the wounds has been analysed and found to be from a fox. I assume this will happen.
What do you think it was?

Why do you not want to think it could have been a fox? Would you rather it had been a staffie or a GSD?

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
The difference is Rune, A fox wouldnt get the chance of getting to my doglets, if i knew their were foxes attacking in the area !!

Like i said an animals and animal, and i do not think they should be trapped and destroyed because one fox has attacked, its a rare attack and the fox destroyed may or may not have been the one to carry out the attack, yet there are still traps set and their still trying to catch more to destroy!
Page 4 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »