Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:14 PM

Dogs just caught a Polecat/Ferret!?

OMG!!! Talk about panic!

Lying on my bed reading a book..Alex is out the back pottering about with horsebox and then I heard this almighty screaming!!

I thought the dogs had caught a cat!..So I opened the window and asked Alex whats happening..he says they got a weasel!!

He dragged the dogs in and I went out to investigate and there sitting under the caravan was a very shocked heavy breathing polecat/ferret..

I ran back in and phoned a mate who keeps ferrets and he told me to catch it..LOL (ehhh its got teeth!!!)

So the upshot is..I now have a polecat/ferret in a cat carrier in the middle of my living room!!
Its not got a mark on it..(good dogs )its calmed down..and is tucking into a bowl of tuna
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:16 PM
omg thats one lucky critter
i used to have 5!! the dogs helped some of them to the bridge
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
omg thats one lucky critter
i used to have 5!! the dogs helped some of them to the bridge
My dogs aren't so much a catch and kill pair..they are more a chase and paw on the head to stop it running away..but then Cruisers paw on top of an ickle ferrety thing is pretty much like me stepping on a ladybird!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Thats one lucky ferret, it must have a guardian angel

What a fright though, I wouldn't fancy catching a ferret that had just had an almighty shock either!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Thats one lucky ferret, it must have a guardian angel

What a fright though, I wouldn't fancy catching a ferret that had just had an almighty shock either!
Actually once it had stopped hyperventilating and screaming I spoke to it and it popped its head out and looked at me like I was its best friend!!

Went inside got a cat carrier and gloves and some tuna(was all I had that was smelly and food!)
Alex went around the back of the horsebox and spoke to it and went to lift it and it just sat there and let him pick it up..never fought or squealed...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Actually once it had stopped hyperventilating and screaming I spoke to it and it popped its head out and looked at me like I was its best friend!!

Went inside got a cat carrier and gloves and some tuna(was all I had that was smelly and food!)
Alex went around the back of the horsebox and spoke to it and went to lift it and it just sat there and let him pick it up..never fought or squealed...
they are very missunderstood
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
they are very missunderstood
Its the teeth I don't like!! I am scared of hamsters and gerbils..well no not scared..but the thought of them biting me makes my blood run cold..(most people think this is hilarious as I have snakes!)

he is now curled up sleeping..fingers crossed the shock doenst' get to him..He was very alert and had tucked into some tuna so hopefully thats a good sign
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:58 PM
awww glad you got it

i heard about ferrets though - arnt they the ones if you dont feed them before you handle them they bite and dont let go??

mabey amyth

i think they are great though
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
awww glad you got it

i heard about ferrets though - arnt they the ones if you dont feed them before you handle them they bite and dont let go??

mabey amyth

i think they are great though
where did u hear that?? they are nippy when kits like most baby animals,they usually bite out of mistake as they cant see very well and go by smell and movement,if u wiggle a finger at a ferret and u finger smells interesting it might nip,but they also have bite inhibition as well,they are great pets like kittens but pets on demand,nothing can sleep like a ferret not even a cat! lol.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I didn't want it to "escape" my garden in case it was injured..and next door have two (evil) staffies (thats a fact not a breedist comment) and I have no doubt that it would have come to a sticky end if it ended up in there!!
So I am glad I have it..hopefully its owner is looking for it..if not then I have a fabulous home lined up for him..
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »