Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Jess, if I am mistaken my duaghter is a lot older than you , and as you competed in ponies , she will have gone to on horses.

Did you compete in FEI trials??

And yes I know exactly what is involved in the preparation and training of compition horse

Jess it is possible you have seen more than me , but I doubt it very much...

My point you cant grasp is that there is a world of difference between a 14 2 pony and a TB race horse .

If you cant see it , thats up to you.

We had 3 14. ponies competing at the same time along with a 16 hh SJ , he was only 4 and was in his learning baby days..

We could turf the ponies out in the week between compitions, with them keeping up their fitness training inbetween field and lessons... the horse took far more work, regardless his age.

As for not being able to turn a TB out ,where did I say that... I said a race horse, one in work....I have yet to meet any trainer /owner who turns an in work race horses out to graze........

I know a very well respected Trainer (I think Dawn knows him as well) my frined keeps her flat racer with him.....she never gets turned out, while racing... when she is let down at the end of the season.. then she goes out.

Now if you wish to misunderstand my posts , then I cant do anythign about that.

I competed in JRN/FEI and was invited to trials for the England Junior Eventing team based on my results. At one of those trials (Morton Morrell) my horse had a nasty fall at a bounce fence and had the injuries i explained in a previous post. I decided after that i did not have the guts for Eventing My horse was just too valuable to me. Then a car crash left me with no horse riding career at all I have no idea how old your daughter is, so cannot say at what time in my horse riding career she was on horses

It sounds like i had a similar arrangement for turnout and riding as you. My horses have always had daily turnout out, i had Jumping and Dressage lessons weekly and hacked them as well to keep them as proper horses should be kept Its not the same training regime as a Racehorse, of course not!!! The point i was making is that a pony at the peak of fitness for eventing is no less fit than a racehorse at the peak of fitness. They are merely trained in different ways.

If the trainer you know doesnt turn out their horses then thats obviously their way of training. There is a TB stud who breeds and produces flat racers who lives about 2 mins from my mums house. They give all of their horses daily turnout, even those in work. They're not out 24/7 in all weathers, but they do get a chance to stretch their legs and graze each day. I can honestly say i've never come across a racehorse trainer who doesnt allow the horses SOME outdoor exercise other than being ridden And having had friends who ride for flat and jump trainers i do get to hear a lot of gossip whether i want to or not. I guess its just different training methods

Anyway, sadly it is now hometime for me! Dog walking time is more accurate So i shall leave you all to discuss the pros and cons of horse racing in my absence! Enjoy. And i hope i havent confused or offended anyone. It is hard to type a decent reply in between doing work so excuse that...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
See ya later!
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13