View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your best wishes, I think we will need them.
Pippin is 13, the owners had him for 8 years, although he is so thin he looks like a youngster.

The vet is worrried about any damage done to the joint and bones in his feet and if it is saveable. The farrier actually presuaded the owners to hand him over, an elderly couple who couldn't catch him. He has had laminitis, and his feet haven't been done for 16 weeks, he also has had no dental work, innoculations or worming as far as we can tell, or a passport. The blacksmith is very keen to try and save him, so he is doing all the foot work for free, after a month of trimming we will take an x-ray to see how his feet are. The vet is also very worried about worming him, if he has a high worm burden, treating him could kill him, they may also have caused liver and kidney damage. The vet took a poop sample to send off and is going to find out the best way to treat him.
He was very good last night, and let us put a rug on, he is stabled at the moment, but because he has no flesh on him, we rushed off yesterday and bought a rug. Apparently he was rugged over the winter- it went on in october and came off in the spring, it took about an hour to get on, so we were told; it took us 10 mins.
The farrier is coming out tomorrow to start work on his back feet, he will do the fronts on friday, and continue like this until we know what is going on inside. We have stretching exercises for the vet to do, and he has let us groom his mane and his shoulders. Small steps, slowly with this one I think.

Glad to hear we may be able to turn his feet around, the vet has tried to tell me not to get too attatched, but I've told him its too late.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm so glad this little fella has found somebody like you, and I hope and pray it will turn out well for him. I'm sure he knows you're here to help, hence the rug taking 10 mins! I really hope you get to see how this lovely boy should look!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Bless you for helping this lovely boy, I so hope that there will be a positive outcome.
xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Poor horse. How the EFF can people be so heartless.

B*stards!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Poor little fella, at least he has found a happy loving home, no matter how long it lasts. He looks like a fighter though, and with the help of the smithy and the vet and all the work and love from yourselves he should pull through!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Your farrier sounds like a great guy, hope you are successful with Pippin - keep us all updated on his progress. He is lucky to have found you, or you him, which ever way you want to look at it!!!
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd give a quick update on Pippin. The farrier was out today to start work on his back feet, and it was amazing. Pippin also let us groom him, and we took his rug on and off. Now the hard work starts with handling, physio and the farrier's work.
The vet is coming out tomorrow to see Folly, one of our sheep, and we have specifically asked for Andrew, who saw Pippin first, so he can see what the blacksmith has done. He is going to have a busy day here, he's checking Folly and Elsie's feet- both sheep, giving Pepsi (dog) her vaccination, Samson (cat) vaccination and blood test for thyroid levels, check Pippin and Bumble, who is just slightly unsound on her back left ( both horses).
Anyway, judge for yourselves, I'm stunned already.
Pippin before,

Pippin half way through,

Pippin finished for today,

Pippin naked ops:,

Pippin in his new rug,
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Well done with your new rescue...................absolutely gorgeous
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Awwwww poor wee guy,looks like he's landed on his feet now he's with you.Good luck and hope he recovers well and soon,xxxxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Oh wow! What a difference! Aw that has made my evening - thank you! And well done!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »