register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Oh don't get me started, Maddy's first champ show, SKC, she was behind an in season bitch in the line up, heavily dripping and got snapped at for being interested in her and then got the dirtiest look from the owner for making her dog snap in the ring, she still got placed 2nd I think, we got chucked, Maddy went to pieces.
Poor Maddie, she just seems to get flack everywhere, bless, My holly wouldnt have snapped she would be so proud whaffting her wears around for all and sundry to have a good old sniff not that she would ever be at a show in season, shes a slut,
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Reading some of the posts has just bought another memory to mind, that of a whole class running round the ring and at the same time picking up and throwing sheep droppings out of the ring so when we came to be moved as individuals we had a chance of doing so without our exhibit munching their way around a triangle.

Think it was at one of the many open shows that no longer exist, sad really there are loads of shows that are no longer available to new exhibitors to practice at. Remember another at which I was judging it was a ploughed field on which grass had grown, assessing movement was impossible and when standing the dog trying to get both the front and back feet at the same level was a task achieved by few. So I looked around a class where some were bum high, some with very slopping toplines and just he lucky few who had found a piece of level ground who’s exhibits looked normal.

We used to moan but at least we had the shows then and classes for your breed at far more shows than we do now, hey ho, those were the days.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Reading some of the posts has just bought another memory to mind, that of a whole class running round the ring and at the same time picking up and throwing sheep droppings out of the ring so when we came to be moved as individuals we had a chance of doing so without our exhibit munching their way around a triangle.

Now I remember doing something similar at Leeds champ show for several years - in fact a couple of exhibitors gave up with their bait and just picked up some dried sheep poo!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 12:04 PM
ooh my lot love a bit of poo, more so when puppys, vinnie really pleased me the other day, he was out,, passed a horse poo, then I seen him shoot round {cos vinnies brain is a bit behind the rest of him so he had passed by the time he registered what it was} He looked at it and then just went on again, I was like whoooohoooo his horse poop breath days are over,,, its funny what really pleases us with our dogs,,, init?
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2008, 01:27 PM
At Leeds Ch show last year I was showing my Pharaoh bitch. I had gone with a very good friend of mine and he came over from his breed ring to watch the Pharaohs along with a couple of his friends. When it was Leela's turn to be gone over, just as the judge turned round to look at her for the first time, I chucked a bit of bait in front of her and my friend, in a very loud voice, screamed "my eye, my eye!!" He's so evil! Even the normally very stoic judge was in fits of laughter Didn't do us any harm though. Leela took the CC

Debs
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I use bait as it keeps the dogs attention on me. However i do not present the bait while the judge is going over my dog, nor do i throw bait onto the floor to give the dog expression etc, i put my hand in my pocket and they know whats in there and it keeps their attention. I find it annoying when i am trying to present my dog to the judge and my dog is trying to pick what another exhibitor has left behind, i do always pick up any bait that i have dropped in the ring.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2008, 11:18 PM
I never knew there were breeds who aren't baited!

I use food. Clover likes food and will work in the ring for the food. If I drop food, I pick it up. I haven't thrown food yet, but if I was to, I'd pick that up, too.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
but I must ask,,,Why are they shown with there mouth held shut?[/COLOR][/I]
{If you dont ask you never learn} thats my defence for not having a clue,
[/I]
That's a new one on me Shona. I showed my GSD Jasper years ago and never held his mouth shut! Can't say I saw anyone else do that either.

Perhaps this is a new 'trend'?

Originally Posted by KateM View Post
Now I remember doing something similar at Leeds champ show for several years - in fact a couple of exhibitors gave up with their bait and just picked up some dried sheep poo!
LOL - they must have really wanted to win to pick that up and use as bait!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 12:38 PM
[quote=Anne-Marie;1348291]That's a new one on me Shona. I showed my GSD Jasper years ago and never held his mouth shut! Can't say I saw anyone else do that either.

Not sure if it applies to the GSD'S I kinda thought more HPR dogs {BUT i have prob just opened my gob and stuck my foot in it again}
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 01:32 PM
[quote=Shona;1348483]
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
That's a new one on me Shona. I showed my GSD Jasper years ago and never held his mouth shut! Can't say I saw anyone else do that either.

Not sure if it applies to the GSD'S I kinda thought more HPR dogs {BUT i have prob just opened my gob and stuck my foot in it again}
I've handled weims, HV and HWV all HPR and never held any mouths shut. The HWV I used to handle was the nephew of the bitch who took bob in 2006 and they didn't either so it's not just because i'm a newbie to showing and handling either. Hold their heads up when stacking, yes.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >