View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
When we do the fun shows they usually do a best pedigree in show and then the fun classes.
To be honest mine love the waggiest tail as it's a break from the routine.
With regards pedigree dogs winning in mu experience they dont. We lost last weekend in handsomest dog to a cross BC and rightly show.
At the end of the day as its for charity we try to enter as many classes as possible.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Parker is a pedigree Kerry Blue terrier registered with the K.C but as he is neutered he can only be shown at local show level. He has about 120 rosettes, 3 best-in-shows and last year got a reserve best in show at "Scrufts" dog show in Happisburgh Norfolk (he is 8 and a half). The scrufts dog show was for non-pedigrees as well as pedigrees but there were a lot of pedigrees entered.

When we show him at terrier shows a lot of the time the judges don't even know he is a terrier and say "shouldn't you be in the family dog show?"! They certainly never know what sort of terrier he is but never mind!

Saying that, we were at a local village dog show when there was a couple there who show at higher level with their dogs (smooth fox terrier and a Dobe) and they won every single class they entered. People were booing at the end. Seems a bit unfair to me to award the same dog the winning rosette in each class at this level show but other dog-owning friends said to me that if they were the best dogs they should win. Personally if Parker wins 1st place in his class I don't show him in any other classes I have entered him in for.

We know people who show their Dobes at local shows even though they show at high-level too and they are pathetic the way they strut around and pose with their dogs -like they are at Crufts! People watching comment about it but they usually win though!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:19 PM
How are people going to prove that their dogs aren't KC registered? Even if they are KC registered but aren't really 'breed standard' and are pets only and not show dogs, they could just lie and say they aren't KC registered.

Having said that (in my Simon Cowell tone ), people who have show dogs means that their dogs are probably/obviously going to be KC registered. So, are these the people not going to be allowed to enter the shows?

However, I actually agree with you to an extent - IMO, it doesn't sit comfortably with me that the 'proper' show people enter the pedigree classes in fun shows and, more often than not, expect to win and usually do (no doubt the show people will appear soon and say it's only just for fun for them etc, never to win. ).

They say it's for practice etc and it probably is (good practice at that), but they could still enter the classes for practice only and make this clear when registering and also informing the judge of the classes. They could still have fun doing this!

A lot of 'show' people populate the pedigree classes at fun/novelty shows and far too often it's the proper show people who win and those with pet only pedigrees don't. I just don't think it's morally right or fair.

People who have pet only pedigree dogs who can't officially show them for whatever reason can't enter official KC judging shows, so why should show dogs be allowed to compete in their classes?

This isn't sour grapes on my part as I think these shows are great fun and I often win things with my two dogs and have done over the years.

I've been to many a biased 'fun' show where proper show people win all the pedigree classes AND the fun classes as well. Not right, IMO.

When I get my dog (it'll be shown formally as well) I'll still attend these fun shows and the pedigree classes, but only for practice and that point will be made clear upon registering and entering the ring. Obviously I'll still have to pay and that's absolutely fine and the money will hopefully be going to charities and such like, which is great.

I also think think there should be a BIS for the pedigree classes and a BIS for the novelty classes.

I believe everyone should be able to enter and compete in the novelty classes.

I'll still enjoy the days out with my dogs.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Last time I went in a class for a fun dog show with an old Rescue boy the judge treated it like a KC class, and obviously knew all the pothunting ladies with their KC reg dogs who used it as a warm up for the Show classes.
Never again.
You've seen the same as me then. Of course these dogs are looking their best and better behaved in the ring because they aren't ordinary pets - they have been to Ringcraft and go to KC shows as well.

The solution would be for there to be a separate Ped section - but as the RSPCA is now actually banning "Prettiest Bitch" and "Most Handsome Dog" from its fun shows (because this is based on looks! ) - it ain't going to happen, is it???
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:34 PM
This is a tough one. As a regular attender of fun shows, I have moaned about obvious show dogs winning all the novelty classes, BIS line ups being all pedigrees etc but to be fair anyone that pays their pound, earns their place! It can be frustrating when its obvious what breed or type the judge likes as you see them all in the line up. I was at a show where the top six contained 4 spaniels. But on the other hand, a couple of weeks ago we were placed in the top six that contained 4 terriers, all small dogs! So where do you draw the line? The only thing I would say is that I dont agree that holding up a novelty class to wait for entrants from the pedigree ring should really be allowed. The times we've stood around waiting for one dog is beyond belief. I would imagine that the pedigree class would be more important to the owner than fastest sausage eater so surely the judge shouldnt have to wait. But thats just my opinion!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I can see both sides, having owned dogs that weren't KC reg and dogs which are. I have been to fun dog shows with Loki and trained show dogs have won the classes, even though it was supposed to be a companion dog show. I did find it annoying. Maybe some 'pet only' classes would be good for dogs that aren't show dogs? I wouldn't like the thought of banning KC reg dogs because if I was at a day out with Rio and Rogue, I might like them both to join in, even though one is a trained show dog and one an unrecognised breed. I did go to an RSPCA fun show with Loki as a pup and I noticed then that the judge was only picking pedigrees, mostly show dogs, and I was disappointed as there were some lovely crossbreeds there that were being overlooked. Maybe if they picked someone to judge who wasn't a show judge, but was a dog enthusiast with an open mind, then the winning dog would be the one that was most deserving - whether purebred or not. I wouldn't like my pedigree dogs to be banned from a sausage eating competition or whatever just because they have papers. And nor would they!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Im Judging a fun show this weekend,

I can say hand on heart I will have no prior knowlage of who is kc reg and who is not, Though I will know a well trained show dog if it pops up before me,

I will award prizes as I SEE fitting on the day what will go a long way for me is seeing a fun handler with a happy dog though,
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:25 PM
There's no point in entering Stone in pedigree classes, as he is the wrong colour and has all sorts of other 'faults'.
So I enter novelty classes. We have fun. If I wasnt allowed to then I would not be particularly happy...
We've already had to give up agility (nothing to do with KC reg!)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
How are people going to prove that their dogs aren't KC registered? Even if they are KC registered but aren't really 'breed standard' and are pets only and not show dogs, they could just lie and say they aren't KC registered.

Having said that (in my Simon Cowell tone ), people who have show dogs means that their dogs are probably/obviously going to be KC registered. So, are these the people not going to be allowed to enter the shows?

However, I actually agree with you to an extent - IMO, it doesn't sit comfortably with me that the 'proper' show people enter the pedigree classes in fun shows and, more often than not, expect to win and usually do (no doubt the show people will appear soon and say it's only just for fun for them etc, never to win. ).
By laughing here am I right in thinking you're implying that "show people" only enter to win? If not, what are you implying?

If "show people" don't enter for fun and only ever to win (which is what I think you're implying), then I better give showing up quick sharp.

So because I show my KC reg'd dogs I'm not allowed to take my dogs to a fun dog show and have fun? I couldn't give a sh1t if I win or not personally, but because I show this can't be true? Hmmmm, guess I should hand myself into the police for fraud!

What a sad world we live in if people are now being banned from having fun!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
i dont think any dog should be banned from a fun dog show, i was at one a few weeks ago and got a 1st place, yes ty is a pedigree but no he isnt kc reg, if everyone is going to have fun then it should be just that FUN, we were automatically entered into BIS but i took ty into the ring and the other 3 people were stacking there dogs (fine with me) but as soon as i saw them doing this i knew i didnt stand a chance but so what, my dog was knackered and we had a great day out, so i let him lie down while the judge was looking and we missed out because of this its not the end of the world
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »