Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tigerjon73
New Member!
Male 

27-08-2017, 09:21 PM

Crate Barking

Hello,

We have a female Australian Shepherd named Ellie. She is just over 5 months old. She is crated in the evening while we sleep but plan to get her to the point where she will be out of the crate in the evening (and eventually during the day when we are at work). Most days by far she receives a morning and an evening walk. On average she is placed in her crate by 10 pm. On weekday mornings we are up by 6 am and on weekend mornings by 7 am. Ellie lets us know she is ready to wake up by barking, however most mornings it is before we are ready to rise. How can we train her to stay silent until we let her out of her crate in the morning?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Try to determine why she is barking. Best I can do.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2017, 10:29 PM
I think eight to nine hours in a crate is rather a long stretch for a puppy from such a high energy breed. Your post suggests that she is also crated during the daytime. Though you say she does have two walks, these should only be for approximately half an hour each at this age. I think your puppy would benefit from a little more stimulation and companionship.
Tigerjon73
New Member!
Male 

27-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Thank you for your response. While I agree with what you have suggested, in my family's world it is not possible to NOT crate Ellie for the periods of time we do (and we look forward to the day when we won't need to). We love her very much and spend lots of time with her in the mornings before work, in the evenings after work, and on the weekends. With that said, we need to try to find a solution to this challenge now.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2017, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tigerjon73 View Post
Thank you for your response. While I agree with what you have suggested, in my family's world it is not possible to NOT crate Ellie for the periods of time we do (and we look forward to the day when we won't need to). We love her very much and spend lots of time with her in the mornings before work, in the evenings after work, and on the weekends. With that said, we need to try to find a solution to this challenge now.
What do you think the crate/cage achieves?
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2017, 06:27 AM
I understand if I didn't put Otis in the kennel when I had to leave he would destroy my house at first. Fortunately he out grew his destructive behavior and no longer has to be kennelled when I leave.
She is young and being in the kennel during the day while your at work and all night to is honestly in my opinion a little much. I'm sure she has a lot of pent up energy and when she wakes up she's ready to release some of it. I would suggest seeing if you can find a trusted friend, family member, or dog walker/sitter to comes at least once a day to let her out to potty, walk, and play for a half hour,while your at work. Also maybe take her for a walk and play some fetch or tug whatever she likes that wears her out before you kennel her at night. Question why is she kennelled at night?
I'm sure if she barks insistently there's a reason she might need to relieve herself or be thirsty! Or maybe she needs more attention, I know you feel she gets enough but maybe she don't feel that way lol!
Wish you luck and if you let me know why you kennel her at night I might have a few other suggestions.
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Remember to cover the crate with a blanket to make it feel more cosy and "den" like.
But why have a dog and put it in a "cage" for so many hours. This is cruel.

Maybe you could invest in an outside kennel with an outside run, for times when you are out at work.

If you want an animal that lives in a cage, maybe the best suggestion for you would be to get a rabbit !!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm a bit lost tbh how long is the pup spending in the crate? How many hours at a stretch and how many hours in total?
All mine except one are crated overnight from midnight till 7 am but apart from that they have the run of the house and garden unless I have to go out and then only 2 are crated.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Forgotten View Post
Remember to cover the crate with a blanket to make it feel more cosy and "den" like.
But why have a dog and put it in a "cage" for so many hours. This is cruel.

Maybe you could invest in an outside kennel with an outside run, for times when you are out at work.

If you want an animal that lives in a cage, maybe the best suggestion for you would be to get a rabbit !!
Totally agree.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2017, 03:59 PM
To be positive, could you stagger your sleeping hours so one of you has an early night & morning - the other, a couple of hours later. It won't be forever, and it can shorten the night quite a bit for your puppy.
I presume you can't make it home at lunchtime, so how about a dog sitter visit to break up the day, or a couple of days a week at daycare. It is more about allowing her to use her mental energy at this age.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >