Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2006, 04:06 PM

Anyone Interested ....

In wildlife gardening? Iv been trying to search for info on plants to attract things like butterflys, ladybirds, bees etc as hardly see these now?

Just wonderng if anyone here is interested in this aswell. Iv no much of a garden its alll over grown being council more like a jungle great habit for wee furries lol
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-06-2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/nature...val_1_1=plants

yup, i try to encourage wildlife and stuff
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Lavender for bees,budlia for butterflies,they come in white purple and lavender they also do an orange one which is really pretty as it is like little balls the others a long beuatiful flowers they also smell nice,not sure about ladybirds,if you can attract them they will eat the greenfly for you.Most bright scented flowers will attract the butterflies and bees though good luck.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I love wildlife in the garden,we are planning on having all sorts of flowers and shrubs and stuff when we've moved.gonna see if we can attract some hedgehogs and some birds too.All we seem to ge here is seagulls(flying rats we call them)
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, I love to see wildlife in the garden, I think it makes it much more interesting.

I encourage birds too, we have Goldfinches and Greenfinches galore since I put up a feeder containing thistle seeds, got it from Wilkinsons and they love the stuff!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Oooh yes! I don't know much about it at the moment, but I've bought a book on the subject, and when I get a bit of time will be doing a bit of hunting about. At the moment I'm working on a bit of a budget, so just planting seeds of the types of flowers which will encourage insects/birds (lavender, echinacea, foxgloves, sunflowers...) Eventually I would like to invest a bit of money in some native hedging plants like hawthorn and holly. And at some point I will talk OH into a wildlife pond.

I think you can do quite a lot even in small gardens as many species will visit lots of gardens in the area. And frogs/newts will set up home in just a water-filled barrel as long as they have access to it via steps or planting.

Have fun!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I love wildlife gardening!!!!
Water is almost essential to attract wildlife. Even a tiny pond will do and it's relayively cheap to put in, we did one last year and it cost less than£20 to do and plant up. It is thriving this year...but sadly no frog spawn...the birds are in and out of it and we evn have some damselfly nymphs.

Native wildflowers will attract the right sort of insects and birds etc too, you can buy packets of them from a group called Landlife ( easy to find on an internet search), also check out the website for the National Wildflower Centre, under links you should find other groups that can help. Seeds are cheaper and will thrive almost anywhere. Me and my son threw down a mixed pack last autumn and currently have a beautful patch of wildflowers in bloom! It's great to not have to weed to much as well...one person's flower is another person's weed.
Try feeding the birds too...but no nuts at this time of year as the fledglings can choke on them!

Hope this helps...something of an enthusiast!!!!!