View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Thats ok amigo, truth told I barely gave any advice at all . If the dog is that determined a heavy duty commercial unit of the kind you will generally find at the pound is the answer, they will normally have casters to wheel them about. Your dog will not be breaking out of that with any degree of effort I assure you. Garage still sounds like a plan but quite a few anxious dogs will do better in a small 'cave' than left in a bigger space.
Thats a toughie you have there by the way, you have my sympathies, you're certainly a tryer I'll give you that.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Can he not be brought in the house when you are home and with him?
I think going from being inside and with you every evening and weekends to being in a kennel would be a big change. But being in the garage with you with him for the evening wouldn't be a massive difference. If it was my dog I would set myself up in there with a sofa bed and a TV. But then my dog sleeps with me every night.
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Sarah Jade...the situation is this...the home is brand new and an investment home to make money on in a couple years. Unfortunately my significant other went in on this with his brother. (They built it) The brother will be in the finished basement while we will be upstairs. The brother is the one causing the biggest problem. He is aware of my mikeys past sep anxiety issues and doesnt want him in the house period. Mike has been great for almost three months when we are away from our current home in the day....and hes always been great when we are home. The brother still wont budge. Its causing quite a problem in my relationship and im trying to do my best for everyone.

Trust me...i will have a loveseat, area rug and tv in the corner of the garage and thats where mike and i will be, im perfectly fine with that.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Yes I'll admit I baby my babies. I've always slept with cats, dogs and/or humans. Our dogs have their own beds but tend to shift in the wee hours of the morning to our bed. Plus maybe a cat or two...just need a bed twice this size.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2014, 08:23 AM
A lot of dogs live outside. As long as they have company of some sort be it a person, another dog or just a radio for company and then lots of tlc from a human and warmth then yes they can live outside. I have never had a dog live outside but my sister in law has and so have her older children. Friends that have had working springers also had them living outside but in a warm kennel. All dogs were fine and well cared for. So if he is happy then yes. But only you will know that. Try it and see but if he isn't happy then you will have to find alternative arrangements. Maybe a large kennel indoors or out the back of the house so you can keep an eye on him. When the weather turns really cold, which it does in the US then an extra coat might have to be worn.
KingPitbull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Nope. I would never ever keep any dog outside.

Especially any dog with pit in it.

I mean, what if he/she gets emotional from lack of social contact or something and break out of the fence and attack someone?

What if it rains hard or gets really cold?

I would be thinking(worrying)about my dog all of the time if I kept it outside.

But that's just me. I can't speak for everyone.
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Thank you all for your responses. We drew up doggy house plans this weekend. Luckily my bf builds houses for a living, as well as, supervises an insulation/heating company. So I have Faith that Mikes house will bebconstructed good and warm. He will have two boxes to pick from. One when it is not so cold and then a divider wall he can go around to another box shielded from any wind coming from his doggy door. He will have a covered 4x8 porch and then a large fenced run area. We are doing full insulation top to bottom and it will raised off ground. The rest of his house will actually be a shed like structure that he wont normally be able to access. But it will be heated with a couch and lighting so that i have a place to just sit and snuggle with him. Its basically going to look like a legit little house. He will still be going to doggy day care on days the weather will be crappiest. And in the garage on nights the temps or winds are too much.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out. I hope that Mikey takes to living outdoors and in the garage without a problem.
The setup you are planning on is more than some outdoor dogs get and does sound perfect for an outdoor dog. Well done for doing your research and if you need anymore help I'm sure the people here can help.
Good luck
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by cfaith View Post
I know people have harsh things to say about keeping a dog outside.
What they don't know is that some actually prefer to be outside, look at this picture of our Baruska (Sadly no longer with us) at the time the photo was taken I had been calling her and had the back door open so she could come in. She ignored both.

Of course Newfoundlands are long haired and have two coats whereas your dog is short haired and has only the one coat so may feel the cold more but you seem to be trying your best in a difficult situaton and provided your lovely doggy has food and fresh water he should be OK Note that water is just as important as food.

Hope it goes well, would like it if you could post on here from time to time to tell us how it's working.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I love that pic of Baruska,bless her xx
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >