Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:09 PM

'Dog Shop'

One of the keepers Oh's works at the same place as I do, and she was telling me today about a conversation she had with one of the chefs yesterday

He is Hungarian, and is looking for an English Bull Terrier, as he had to have his last one PTS.

He has asked her, where there is a 'dog shop', she thought he meant a pet shop, so said that there are a few around, and he said no, not a pet shop, a dog shop, a shop where he can buy a dog, where there are various different breeds for sale.

She explained that there aren't any, or at least not around here, and it's not the place you want to be buying a dog from.

He said there are alot of shops like this Hungary!!

I've printed off the pages, and am in the process of writing instructions on how to find a breeder on the kennel club website, as he asked me if I knew anyone that had EBT.

What health tests etc, should he be asking about if he does call to inquire about a pup!?

x
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:18 PM
If he's after a white one it should be tested for deafness, and I daresay all EBT should be hip scored, as they are a heavy breed. As for dog shops, I bought Loki from one of these establishments, and my Mum's Lottie was from the same place. Both dogs were dead before they they were three and a half. Reputable breeders are the only way to go.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't think he's wanting a white one, he said that his last dog had quite a lot of brown (I think it was brown) on him, and he isn't keen on pure white!

He was quite shocked to hear that he wouldnt find a 'dog shop!'

x
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Bullies can have a few skin problems, so he'd want to know that the parents of a pup don't, they can also have kidney problems,and seem to be prone to neurological problems including spinning (chasing their tail obsevially) and rage (unpredicatable 'fits' of aggression, not connected to a behaviour problem), they can also have epilapsy (sp?) (thought to be connected to rage syndrome) heart diesease and heridity deafness. So it'll be good to get a pup from a line that doesn't have these problems (although as far as I know the neurological problems are not thought to be genetic)

They are still a great breed though, and tell him good luck in his search, and I hope that that helps.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I don't think he's wanting a white one, he said that his last dog had quite a lot of brown (I think it was brown) on him, and he isn't keen on pure white!

He was quite shocked to hear that he wouldnt find a 'dog shop!'

x
But the trouble is , he will if he looks hard enough, there are plenty around,

Lets hope he listens to you, and not be impatient , because if that is the way he is used to buying, he may not be prepare to wait for a good breeder
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 09:34 PM
the thought of a dog shop makes me sick... its horrible
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Ooh, Puppy Love are compiling a list of 'dog shops' (ie. outlets for puppy farms) - if you have details of any, could you PM me?

Is he looking for a pup or an adult? Perhaps he might consider a rescue?