Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Senior Dog Food

My older dog who turns 12 in about 2 weeks (14th March) is starting to put a bit of weight on as I noticed her rain coat is getting a little tighter around the fastening!

She had been having a wet kong every morning recently so I could hide Aktivait powder in it so that's probably why so I'm cutting the wet kong.

Her own food is James Wellbeloved senior which is only 18% protein and has rice & barley in (thinks oats too but not sure)

Do you think a higher protein fish based food would help her with losing the weight? As more of the proteins are getting used by the body than grains?

I've only recently got into studying breakdown of dog foods with JJ having an allergy.

Just wondering why senior foods all tend to be lower in protein but know people who have all their dogs (across all ages puppies-oldies) on the same higher protein foods which claim to be for all ages.

So just wondering if anyone has found benefits from keeping older dogs on higher protein grain free diets? (in relation to mental function, keeping weight stable & mobility etc)

Thanks

Kati
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

26-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I use Wafcol light for Loki, who is 45.5 k! Her meds make her heavy but she is solid!

She will only eat the kibble though if I put in some mashed up chicken breast, or tuna in sunflower oil
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
I use Wafcol light for Loki, who is 45.5 k! Her meds make her heavy but she is solid!

She will only eat the kibble though if I put in some mashed up chicken breast, or tuna in sunflower oil
I can't afford to buy any more at the minute.. in house I have her JWB lamb and rice senior (18% protein) . a small 1.5kg trial bag of Fishmongers Salmon & potato (29% protein) or JJ's wafcol puppy grain free (salmon & potato) whole bag that had arrived before he got severe squits on it thats 29% also.. and JJ's Bob & Lush order just arrived thats 30% protein and is duck with potato & peas.

was just wondering if anyone else had senior dog on regular dog foods 29% protein & upwards and found they did better on it than senior foods (under 20%)?

Out of interest what is the Protein level on the Wafcol light please?

Thanks
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I can't help but wonder why they don't sell 'Senior Human Food'?
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I can't help but wonder why they don't sell 'Senior Human Food'?

lol! weird isn't it?

I mixed a bit of her lamb and rice kibble with the salmon & potato and she had it pilchard on top.. that way reduces cereal content of her meals without leaving her hungry.

Can't afford to be throwing them all away!!